Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TxTag/EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any word on this working? I have gone through a couple of HCTRA EZTag stickers trying to get them to work on the windshield without success (both in the area to the right of the rear view mirror and below the mirror). I was told that they will use license plate recognition if they don't detect the RFID signal when using the EZTag only lanes and a dead giveaway for knowing if that happened is if it takes some time for the transaction to post to your account. So while you will get charged properly it doesn't mean that the EZtag is working.....

Unfortunately the only way my work garage grants entrance is with an EZTag signal and I haven't been able to get the sticker working. So I am left using this:

EZ Tag.JPG

This is the HCTRA's front license plate tag, I have no intention of putting a front license plate on my car so until there is another way to get the normal sticker working I will be letting HCTRA use license plate recognition for toll roads and opening the window and holding it out to get into my parking garage!

Any word on this working? I have gone through a couple of HCTRA EZTag stickers trying to get them to work on the windshield without success (both in the area to the right of the rear view mirror and below the mirror). I was told that they will use license plate recognition if they don't detect the RFID signal when using the EZTag only lanes and a dead giveaway for knowing if that happened is if it takes some time for the transaction to post to your account. So while you will get charged properly it doesn't mean that the EZtag is working.....

Unfortunately the only way my work garage grants entrance is with an EZTag signal and I haven't been able to get the sticker working. So I am left using this:

View attachment 14556

This is the HCTRA's front license plate tag, I have no intention of putting a front license plate on my car so until there is another way to get the normal sticker working I will be letting HCTRA use license plate recognition for toll roads and opening the window and holding it out to get into my parking garage!

I have been using these mounted on the front license plates of 3 different vehicles of mine for over a year and have never had an issue with it. I planned on using it on my Model S too.

I had this (above) on my 2001 BMW 750iL. Apparently their windscreen is kevlar, kryptonite, and UV protected.

I will say a few things:

(1) It was unsightly, but not too bad when you have a square car.
(2) It worked flawlessly
(3) I have pasted my blue tolltag ...

NTTA%20Tag.jpg

... to the portion of the window just below the rear view mirror - not to the right, where the black screened section is. It works fine there. (I have not looked in three or four weeks, but the first 10 days it registered wherever I went, and I have no reason to believe that it has failed to register).

Just my 2 cents worth

I would imagine that your license plate is getting read for toll charges not the actual TXTag providing the proper RFID signal. Have you gone through a lane with a gate arm and have it pop up automatically? Going through tag only lanes aren't an issue at all if you have your license plate registered with the toll association.....

@tdubb: good point. The only thing I can say (wrt that) is that I registered the car the Monday after I got it, but put the tag on the black. Nothing showed online for a week (so the tag reading most likely came into play). However, after I moved it from the black to just below the mirror, charges posted immediately. I'm not a big fan of that big black bar, but as long as i don't get any fines, I'll keep it this way.

Btw. The old white thick tags don't work anywhere.

Jack from the Dallas Service Center had to replace my 12v battery yesterday and while he had the frunk torn apart I asked him to put my tolltag sticker behind the nosecone. I wanted it there as much for aesthetics as for signal. I immediately drove to DFW and much to my disappointment the gate didn't open. :-(

Looks like I'll try to go to the tolltag store today and get another sticker. Sounds like the new stickers work just fine behind the rearview mirror. Disappointed though that I have to put them there.

Toll Tag Behind Nose Cone

Placing the EZ toll tag license plate bar (black) behind the nose cone on the metal bumper just below the upper ridge on the bumper works like a champ. Gates jump open early. Works better than the window toll tag did on my old BMW Icer - feels like a new pair of Keds

Although you can't see it there is velcro tape on the back of the toll tag and on the bumper as the primary means to hold the tag in place and then the wire wrap is used as a "safety wire" in case the velcro wears out or comes loose over time, although I think the nose cone would hold the toll tag in place.

IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg

TX Drivers - Where Did You Place Your Toll Tag??

I know there are several threads on toll tags, but curious as to Texas specific drivers and where on the windshield did you place your toll tag??

There was talk that placing it to the right of the rear view works. What is everyone doing--any issues?

I don't think anyone knows as the shielding seems to have changed over time. Mine is below the mirror and doesn't work. Austin does have that TxTag center where you can test out your placement for free I believe.

Okay one below the mirror doesn't work.

Curious as to drivers that recently took delivery (say past 60 days).

Don't want to waste my time going to service center to test things, if someone has one working in a specific location.

Other future Texas buyers will want to know as well what works.

Last edited:
I had marginal success with the windshield placement in the black dotted area. This worked for the pass through booths but took about a minute for the gates with arms to register. I ended up requesting a plate tag and installing behind the nose cone. No issues since. I received my car in February.

I had marginal success with the windshield placement in the black dotted area. This worked for the pass through booths but took about a minute for the gates with arms to register. I ended up requesting a plate tag and installing behind the nose cone. No issues since. I received my car in February.

Good to know--I'm assuming that's the long black bar looking device?

Mine's tucked up to the left of the rear view mirror, about half is showing, the rest is behind the headliner. No idea if it works, but since the toll gantries read your rear plate as a backup (and to charge those without a tag) it really doesn't matter.

Mine's tucked up to the left of the rear view mirror, about half is showing, the rest is behind the headliner. No idea if it works, but since the toll gantries read your rear plate as a backup (and to charge those without a tag) it really doesn't matter.

It's mandatory for me, as the only was to get around in Austin these days is on the tollway. In Austin, they also charge you more if you don't have a tolltag (i.e. read your plates and send you bill in mail), so I will need to find a way to do this. I just can't believe no one uses it--must be an Austin thing.

I never found a place that worked. Gave up on it entirely. For North Texas as long as you have and account with NTTA they will charge you the lower rate just based on reading you license plate. The only real inconvenience is at the airport.

+1 - I have moved it to the dotted area, beneath the rear view mirror, etc. etc. Works maybe once in twelve passes. I check the website every so often and am getting billed about three days later by license plate recognition. I have yet to need to park BadA** at the airport and generally take the ICE, so I can't speak for that.

It's mandatory for me, as the only was to get around in Austin these days is on the tollway. In Austin, they also charge you more if you don't have a tolltag (i.e. read your plates and send you bill in mail), so I will need to find a way to do this. I just can't believe no one uses it--must be an Austin thing.

The bill in the mail hasn't been an issue for me in Dallas ... and the three-day-later charge on the website I am experiencing is the base fee, not the exorbitant charge they place on non-tag-owning drivers.

Does this require a front plate? I'm wondering what they do if it doesn't read your tag and you don't have a front plate.