Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TxTag/EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what your toll tag looks like and how it works. Here in CA we have 2 flavors. A flat hockey puck white interior version, which some folks have had success with mounted on the inside windshield on the dotted black area by the rear view mirror. There is also an exterior license plate mount version-black long bulky device. I got this one and mounted it with heavy duty velcro and cable ties to the front bumper behind the nose cone. Works great, out of sight.

Last edited:
Not sure what your toll tag looks like and how it works. Here in CA we have 2 flavors. A flat hockey puck white interior version, which some folks have had success with mounted on the inside windshield on the dotted black area by the rear view mirror. There is also an exterior license plate mount version-black long bulky device. I got this one and mounted it with heavy duty velcro and cable ties to the front bumper behind the nose cone. Works great, out of sight.

We have the same ones--good to know. Think I will get long bulky one and mount behind nose cone.

I used velcro to mount the long black bar tag behind the nose cone. Removal of the nose cone is quite easy. Press your palms at the top of the nose cone with downward pressure.

Be careful how and where you poress on the nose cone. The upper metal clips on the nose cone usually don't release easily with downward pressure. Some folks try prying the upper corner with a spudger or credit card. If you search on TMC, someone has posted a YT video of a way by opening the frunk and pressing down REALLY hard on the chrome trim areas. Me, I use gentle pressure (no tools) on the lower edge of the nose cone to release the plastic tabs, rotate it out a bit, then pull from the top. Plesae search the forums for input before trying out a method of removing your nose cone.

YMMV.

If you are able to get the external TxTag (black bar) before your car arrives, have them pop off the nose cone at delivery so you can install it.

They won't give you one until you have a license plate number (which I need the car to be inspected in order to get that). But I probably will run by the SC if I have another reason (which I hope I don't) and have them pop it off--I don't want to take a chance.

It's mandatory for me, as the only was to get around in Austin these days is on the tollway. In Austin, they also charge you more if you don't have a tolltag (i.e. read your plates and send you bill in mail), so I will need to find a way to do this. I just can't believe no one uses it--must be an Austin thing.

In my current car, I had it under the mirror and it worked most of the time. Every once in a while I would see charges against my account with my plate instead of my tag. So long you have the plate associated with your txtag account, the charge for the plate goes to your txtag account; you don't get a jacked-up bill in the mail.

The tint shop took the tag off when they tinted the windshield and I didn't want to put it back on. I decided to see what would happen. Turns out that I'm a-ok. I'm better than a-ok because the cameras don't seem to be picking up my plate 100% of the time. Sometimes I get statements with 100%, sometimes with 50%.

I have a VIN in the 15,000's and placed the TxTag in the speckled area to the right of the rear view mirror. So far I'm 5/5 in the toll tag being recognized. There was post earlier this year about a batch of windshields that didn't make this area non-metallic which prevented toll tags from being read, but apparently that has been fixed in subsequent cars.

I have a VIN in the 15,000's and placed the TxTag in the speckled area to the right of the rear view mirror. So far I'm 5/5 in the toll tag being recognized. There was post earlier this year about a batch of windshields that didn't make this area non-metallic which prevented toll tags from being read, but apparently that has been fixed in subsequent cars.

Good deal--that's where I'll try as well...

I went to the Local NTTA office and sat down with an advisor.
We talked about the location inside: reading through the glass.
And about possibly locating it under the nose cone.

After meeting with HIS supervisor, they agreed to do the license tag recognition, with no up-charge fee.
Only place I use the transmitter is at work for the parking garage and I will need to wave it out the window at the airport.

I'm in California. I installed the Fast Trak INSIDE THE NOSE! I did it while at Tesla Los Angeles Service last week and haven't been able to see if it works yet. Once I go through a toll if it's quiet enough, I should be able to hear it beep, and validate that it worked by going on-line and looking at my account. I'll definitely post a follow up once I do.

Have been using the ugly black CA FasTrak license plate transponder (NOT the interior version) behind the nose cone (attached to center of black bumper with Velcro & tie wraps) without a problem for months on multiple bridges (old/new Bay Bridge, Richmond-San Rafael Bridge). No beeps, but you can verify that it works by looking at the toll display for Valid ETC.

Have been using the ugly black CA FasTrak license plate transponder (NOT the interior version) behind the nose cone (attached to center of black bumper with Velcro & tie wraps) without a problem for months

Similarly...

20130805_221333.jpg

20130805_221317.jpg

Great to know thank u for pic!
I'm in Austin and can't get the tag to work for the life of me, but for tolls in Austin as long as you go online and associate your plate with your TXTag you get the discount anyway. The only issue is that when you use toll roads in Houston or Dallas you don't get the discount (and there's one toll road in Houston that doesn't match up plates and tags, I think).