Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical Supercharging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I respectfully disagree with some of WarpedOne's answers
Actually, we don't disagree. It is just that when someone is not certain of what to do it is better to suggest him charge too long rather than too short.
When he has more experiences he will not have to ask, he will be able to predict how much "over-range" is enough of a cushion in his particular circumstances to warrant a go.
What works in the summer may not in the winter.
What works in cold may not work in hot weather with strong opposing winds.
What works in slow-speed traffic may not work in empty road and hurry.
What worked with 19" all-years may not work with new 22" sport summer tires.
What works when alone may not work when loaded with 5 ppl.
What worked last week may not work anymore after you hit a pot-hole and damage the suspension.

What is certain is don't mind the battery wear when you need 100+ mile range. It is there for you to use it.
100+ miles is easily more than two hour drive - lots of unexpected things can happen in that time but one thing is certain - it will REALLY suck if you ran out of charge.

I cut it a little too close on my recent trip to LA. I'm thankful Tesla has some protections in place. This is what happens when you get comfortable with SC. On the bright side, I now know my 60 can charge at 105kW

naqavatu.jpg

7u3atany.jpg

I cut it a little too close on my recent trip to LA. I'm thankful Tesla has some protections in place. This is what happens when you get comfortable with SC. On the bright side, I now know my 60 can charge at 105kW

naqavatu.jpg

7u3atany.jpg

I guess now you also know that 0 miles of estimated range is ~4% SOC on the 60kWh battery. You probably had another 5 or 6 miles in there. How far did you drive at 0 range?

85Kw. It is important to arrive at a supercharger with very few miles remaining to get 150 miles in thirty minutes. {120 kv} My experience is just that. Plan on arriving at a supercharger with 5-30 miles remaining and you will add 150 miles in thirty minutes easily. Superchargers are plentiful on the west coast so rarely do I have to charge for more than 15-20 minutes when I stop. It makes long distance travel effortless.

- - - Updated - - -

85Kw. It is important to arrive at a supercharger with very few miles remaining to get 150 miles in thirty minutes. {120 kv} My experience is just that. Plan on arriving at a supercharger with 5-30 miles remaining and you will add 150 miles in thirty minutes easily.

Sounds somewhat...risky. If you encounter unexpected headwinds, road construction requiring a detour, an accident blocking the road, etc., you risk arriving at the SC on a flatbed because you ran our of juice.

Close, but still a little aggressive. I recently did a test of three empty superchargers (but slightly bruised) and averaged 135 miles in 30 minutes.

Supercharger Time Test | Tesla Owner

85Kw. It is important to arrive at a supercharger with very few miles remaining to get 150 miles in thirty minutes. {120 kv} My experience is just that. Plan on arriving at a supercharger with 5-30 miles remaining and you will add 150 miles in thirty minutes easily. Superchargers are plentiful on the west coast so rarely do I have to charge for more than 15-20 minutes when I stop. It makes long distance travel effortless.

- - - Updated - - -

Close, but still a little aggressive. I recently did a test of three empty superchargers (but slightly bruised) and averaged 135 miles in 30 minutes.

Nope, my Tesla charges to 120kW.

Ah, I see. Apologies for not reading the blog post carefully enough. I usually plan my trips such that I arrive nearly empty at a supercharger and as such I would notice a more dramatic improvement over my current 90 kW limitation. Most commonly I charge from ~0 to 200 rated miles and the time difference for this range bracket has been demonstrated to be on the order of 15 minutes.

Ok, hold the phone here folks. Someone posted this video after the earnings call today:

Tesla CEO Musk on Battery Factor, Model X, Apple: Video - Bloomberg

Skip to minute mark 12:03 and you will see a Model S supercharging at 88 kW at 60 % SOC. IIRC, even B pack owners don't see those numbers at that level SOC. Furthermore, the amps seem to be limited to 225, which suggests this is an old version of the software and yet the taper curve seems WAY better than what we have now. What gives?

One thing I noticed that the supercharger is Tejon Ranch. The setup is quite recognizable (you get that freeway view and solar power)

photo here:Tejon Ranch | Tesla Owner

Ok, hold the phone here folks. Someone posted this video after the earnings call today:

Tesla CEO Musk on Battery Factor, Model X, Apple: Video - Bloomberg

Skip to minute mark 12:03 and you will see a Model S supercharging at 88 kW at 60 % SOC. IIRC, even B pack owners don't see those numbers at that level SOC. Furthermore, the amps seem to be limited to 225, which suggests this is an old version of the software and yet the taper curve seems WAY better than what we have now. What gives?

One thing I noticed that the supercharger is Tejon Ranch. The setup is quite recognizable (you get that freeway view and solar power)

Indeed it is. But I have data from Tejon for both an A pack and a B pack. Neither of them charge at 88 kW (or anywhere near there) at 60 % SOC. If Tesla would just give me this improved taper then I would be a much happier camper despite having gotten stuck with an A battery.

You might want to try the northernmost / left stall. Looks like in the video that they explicitly used that one.

Indeed it is. But I have data from Tejon for both an A pack and a B pack. Neither of them charge at 88 kW (or anywhere near there) at 60 % SOC. If Tesla would just give me this improved taper then I would be a much happier camper despite having gotten stuck with an A battery.