Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. 36 minutes to charge 110mi at a Supercharger (1.5 hours including drive of 24 miles roundtrip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearest SC is about 12mi away. Not a big deal. First charger charged fine for about 5min. Being new, I sat there thinking it'll get better. Unplug, plug. Unplug, plug. Went to a different station. No green light of joy. Actually, no light at all except for the red "Tesla" which should mean that station has juice. Moved to another. Ditto.

Finally after moving to a fourth one, I got a lovely green blinking T. And then it took me 36min to charge.

1.5hrs. door-to-door to charge.

2 more weeks until wall charger arrives. Ugh.

If you can plug in at home on just a regular wall socket, the overnight charge will make a difference. It adds up. Depending on your lifestlye, the wall socket my meet most of your needs. It's all I've used for years, now.
Got the MY for the missus because her residency is 70mi away. So I stopped charging at 270mi to finish at home. 15A (ok, 12A) never felt so weak. 😣

What was your start and end SOC? 36 minutes sound like a 10% to 90% charge.

Which SCer were you at, maybe PlugShare has some info on the status of that SCer.
Had to look up SOC. Neeeeeuuub here!

Started at 150mi IIRC. Like I said, I'm a noob and keep track of things via the miles rather than percentage. It's a LR MY. I'll have to look at PlugShare. I'm not sure if Houston, Texas has much of that. @Rocky_H, it's the Westheimer location where their delivery center is.

Step 1: Change your display to SOC %. The miles display is useless, incorrect, and unnerving.
Um. Not my car. I'll gingerly suggest this to the missus. I mean, she also knows better than to move the mirrors on my weekend cars. 😁

Is the discharge rate linear or is like the charge rate, greater at the beginning and tapers off after 80%? I mean, if you or anyone else might know.

Nearest SC is about 12mi away. Not a big deal. First charger charged fine for about 5min. Being new, I sat there thinking it'll get better. Unplug, plug. Unplug, plug. Went to a different station. No green light of joy. Actually, no light at all except for the red "Tesla" which should mean that station has juice. Moved to another. Ditto.

Finally after moving to a fourth one, I got a lovely green blinking T. And then it took me 36min to charge.

1.5hrs. door-to-door to charge.

2 more weeks until wall charger arrives. Ugh.
Oh this was Saturday. I was at the station too. A couple of the spots were coned up when I got there but there were two other spots that were out of order that weren’t coned up. I was charging for about an hour and barely got 50% more of charge since I’m sure there was a heavy load with everyone charging

Oh this was Saturday. I was at the station too. A couple of the spots were coned up when I got there but there were two other spots that were out of order that weren’t coned up. I was charging for about an hour and barely got 50% more of charge since I’m sure there was a heavy load with everyone charging
This is possible that the large number of people charging had an affect, but I'm not so sure because by the time I reached the 4th attempt, it charged just fine.

Tonight, I charged very very quickly. There was a service tech who was fixing the charging station. He and I had a good conversation while I was feeding the mosquitoes as their all-you-can-eat buffet. Yet another data point that Tesla treats their people well. I like companies that nice to their people.

Step 1: Change your display to SOC %. The miles display is useless, incorrect, and unnerving.

The percentage is no better it also is not a good indication of how far you can go. While it may be accurate as to the amount of charge in the battery, unless you have some type of ESP or something where you can look at 70% and determine if that will get you through your daily commuting and or travel or whatever needs, best to leave it on mileage if a new owner and you're just trying to figure things out. I've had my car for nearly 5 years and have found that the mileage setting is the best way to go because it does adjust as you drive based on the usage at the time much like the instant mile per gallon indicators on gasoline powered cars this information is available if you look at the energy screen while you're driving. Or you can also look at the average based on what the car has seen for "I think" most recent 500 miles? of driving.

Also suggest to her to use the navigation in the car and plug in her destinations and then she will begin to see the energy usage required to reach places that she travels to and the car will tell her what energy will remain in the battery upon arrival and so forth. There is a slight learning curve.

I wouldn't recommend just switching to percentage and driving at this time. You have no experience or no established baseline to know how far a given percentage will get you through your traveling and or commuting day. Just my 02 ymmv.

The percentage is no better it also is not a good indication of how far you can go. While it may be accurate as to the amount of charge in the battery, unless you have some type of ESP or something where you can look at 70% and determine if that will get you through your daily commuting and or travel or whatever needs, best to leave it on mileage if a new owner and you're just trying to figure things out. I've had my car for nearly 5 years and have found that the mileage setting is the best way to go because it does adjust as you drive based on the usage at the time much like the instant mile per gallon indicators on gasoline powered cars this information is available if you look at the energy screen while you're driving. Or you can also look at the average based on what the car has seen for "I think" most recent 500 miles? of driving.

I wouldn't recommend just switching to percentage and driving at this time. You have no experience or no established baseline to know how far a given percentage will get you through your traveling and or commuting day. Just my 02 ymmv.
I would disagree with these two paragraphs . Thinking like an ice car, your fuel gauge shows a level and you get used to how far you can go certain places until empty. It’s the same with battery percent, you get used to how far you can go on xx% battery. It seems more logical than using an inconsistent and inaccurate number measure that gives you false information based on an epa rating.

I would disagree with these two paragraphs . Thinking like an ice car, your fuel gauge shows a level and you get used to how far you can go certain places until empty. It’s the same with battery percent, you get used to how far you can go on xx% battery. It seems more logical than using an inconsistent and inaccurate number measure that gives you false information based on an epa rating.
What most fail to see is that the percent remaining indication is a false indication of the distance you can travel also. it only tells you how much fuel is in the tank it does not tell you how fast you're going to use it. If you drive 55 mph you're going to go farther on a half a tank of gas then you're going to go if you're driving 120 miles per hour or if you're in a headwind or if you're facing extremely cold weather or rain or anything, point is it's no different. The fuel in the tank is the fuel in the tank that does not change no matter what metric you use to look at it. And the rate of consumption is the variable.

The miles indicated on the miles to empty display is the same. That is based on how those miles are driven if you're going 90 mph the distance to empty number indicated will not be accurate at the end of the day. But it will adjust as you're driving. Meaning it will count those remaining miles down faster at 100 mph then it would if you were driving 55 mph. So when you actually run out of gas your miles to empty indication will be zero.

So the miles to empty or remaining range indication in an electric vehicle for all intents and purposes is as accurate as the miles to empty indication in any vehicle. They account for as many variables as feasible and display the amount of miles that will likely be able to be achieved.

I would argue that that is more accurate than any fuzzy logic one could have in their head looking at 50% and thinking okay that will get me from A to b

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This is possible that the large number of people charging had an affect, but I'm not so sure because by the time I reached the 4th attempt, it charged just fine.

Tonight, I charged very very quickly. There was a service tech who was fixing the charging station. He and I had a good conversation while I was feeding the mosquitoes as their all-you-can-eat buffet. Yet another data point that Tesla treats their people well. I like companies that nice to their people.
I should have read this last night. I was at my buddy's last night off of 610 and i10 and needed to get some charge for the morning but saw that the westheimer place had that service icon in the app so i didn't even bother going and ended up just plugging in to my 110V outlet

I wish Tesla would unlock and display some of the data hidden from the casual owner. If you buy the Scan My Tesla tool you can see a lot of useful data currently hidden from the UI. Being able to see kW’s and battery temps as a minimum in the UI would go along way towards eliminating many of new owners questions and concerns. Just watched Bjorn’s battery degradation YouTube video on a 4 year old Model X was enlightening to say the least.

For those interested:

But the main thing I want to highlight is the SMY tool/app and the data it displays.

Also suggest to her to use the navigation in the car and plug in her destinations and then she will begin to see the energy usage required to reach places that she travels to and the car will tell her what energy will remain in the battery upon arrival and so forth. There is a slight learning curve.

Thank you for this! I'll be the first to admit that the Force is not strong in me. We've learned that the mileage counter is merely a suggestion, as they also are in ICEs.

The advantage to using battery % instead of miles is it reduces anxiety when dealing with "battery degradation"/reduced range that will happen.

Some of the degradation is real, usually a good amount of the displayed degradation is because the BMS's guess at remaining charge has drifted a little. It can be recalibrated but that doesn't extend your actual range.

Also, that number is only based on the EPA efficiency rating, it does not adapt to your driving style.

The energy consumption/trip screens are the best way to know your projected range based on your driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I would argue that that is more accurate than any fuzzy logic one could have in their head looking at 50% and thinking okay that will get me from A to b

The fuzzy logic I use is to put it in the Nav and see what % I'll have left when I get to the destination. And then when driving see whether that percent goes up or down. All I ever think about is time and % charge. I never even check how many miles I'm going to be driving just the % charge estimate and the time estimate, so seeing miles displayed in the car means nothing to me.

What most fail to see is that the percent remaining indication is a false indication of the distance you can travel also. it only tells you how much fuel is in the tank it does not tell you how fast you're going to use it. If you drive 55 mph you're going to go farther on a half a tank of gas then you're going to go if you're driving 120 miles per hour or if you're in a headwind or if you're facing extremely cold weather or rain or anything, point is it's no different. The fuel in the tank is the fuel in the tank that does not change no matter what metric you use to look at it. And the rate of consumption is the variable.

The miles indicated on the miles to empty display is the same. That is based on how those miles are driven if you're going 90 mph the distance to empty number indicated will not be accurate at the end of the day. But it will adjust as you're driving. Meaning it will count those remaining miles down faster at 100 mph then it would if you were driving 55 mph. So when you actually run out of gas your miles to empty indication will be zero.

So the miles to empty or remaining range indication in an electric vehicle for all intents and purposes is as accurate as the miles to empty indication in any vehicle. They account for as many variables as feasible and display the amount of miles that will likely be able to be achieved.

But by your miles logic, if you start a 90 mile trip with 100 miles remaining, you will get there. Not so fast my friend. Only if you drive according to EPA. If you are over 60mph with any wind or terrain you will not get there. You will need to use “fuzzy logic” to determine how far you can actually go. If you only get 70 miles before you hit zero, yes it will show 0 but that doesn’t help you when an hour ago it said 100 and you are in the middle of nowhere with no chargers around. Either way you need to understand that what is indicated is not how far you will actually go. Whether you let the car mislead you with x miles or you use your own brain to convert % to how far you normally drive it ends up being the same. The reason most people use % is so they don’t get stuck on “I can make it x miles because the car says so” and then find out they can’t make it. Again.

• Disagree
Reactions: D-ATL and Rocky_H