Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh....I want to return my Y...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Low cost Tesla?
$62K+ is not 'low cost'
If you're referring to price difference between S/X and 3/Y that holds true, but in terms of total vehicle price on the car market as a whole I could ask you "are you kidding me"?
Let's stay in the CUV arena: my Audi SQ5 is in the Y's price range (at least thats what I paid) and the overall manufacturing and assembly quality is on another level compared to Tesla. Not a single issue for this picky buyer.
Also, this is not my first Tesla. Owned a 2015 S and loved it. No kinks, issues, driving like a dream. A true beaut for >$90K and well worth it.
Unfortunately, had to sell it and lost $30K after 11 months.
Second time around I wanted to give a more reasonably priced Tesla a shot and replace my SQ5 with something of similar size but electric.
Now I'm well aware that the two classes of Teslas are vastly different kinds of product in quality and performance.
Thanks for your input.

Low cost Tesla?
$62K+ is not 'low cost'
If you're referring to price difference between S/X and 3/Y that holds true, but in terms of total vehicle price on the car market as a whole I could ask you "are you kidding me"?
Let's stay in the CUV arena: my Audi SQ5 is in the Y's price range (at least thats what I paid) and the overall manufacturing and assembly quality is on another level compared to Tesla. Not a single issue for this picky buyer.
Also, this is not my first Tesla. Owned a 2015 S and loved it. No kinks, issues, driving like a dream. A true beaut for >$90K and well worth it.
Second time around I wanted to give a more reasonably priced Tesla a shot and replace my SQ5 with something of similar size but electric.
Now I'm well aware that the two classes of Teslas are vastly different kinds of product in quality and performance.
Thanks for your input.

Not to be rude, but there needs to be some compromise. If you expected the quality, performance, and ev tech of a $90k Model S for the same price as an SQ5, you were bound to be dissatisfied. The SQ5 is “affordable” because its not an ev and doesn’t have the tech nor the same level of performance; the Model Y is “affordable” because it doesn’t have the luxury or refinement. If you want both, as you’ve found out, you need to pay $90k. I’ve seen great discounts on the e-Tron..might be a decent option but you’ll be giving up some performance.

Not to be rude, but there needs to be some compromise. If you expected the quality, performance, and ev tech of a $90k Model S for the same price as an SQ5, you were bound to be dissatisfied. The SQ5 is “affordable” because its not an ev and doesn’t have the tech nor the same level of performance; the Model Y is “affordable” because it doesn’t have the luxury or refinement. If you want both, as you’ve found out, you need to pay $90k. I’ve seen great discounts on the e-Tron..might be a decent option but you’ll be giving up some performance.[/QUOTnot.

You're absolutely right.
But I was not expecting that.
I expected performance - and got plenty of it for the buck.
I got nice sleek design - thumbs up.
However, what I didn't expect was a multitude of assembly flaws, 160-180 miles range on 100% battery and a feeling that I'm driving a beautiful, yet unfinished, vehicle.
Thank you for your input -makes perfect sense- I am at fault for not browsing these discussion boards prior to the decision to drop my original 7 seat configuration (and BOY, will that one be a doozie) and jump on the early delivery bandwagon.
Thank you all. Signing off...

• Love
Reactions: CarbonFree
Low cost Tesla?
$62K+ is not 'low cost'
Let's stay in the CUV arena: my Audi SQ5 is in the Y's price range (at least thats what I paid) and the overall manufacturing and assembly quality is on another level compared to Tesla. Not a single issue for this picky buyer..
I feel your pain, as someone in the industry, I can assure you that every automotive mfg have less than stellar vehicles out on the road, that is why we have customer service
To be fair, not every Audi have faultless QC, and many new Tesla cars are delivered with few faults

Reactions: empiredown
All of these issues have been detailed on this forum by other members and have been corrected by the service center. Doesn't mean that they should be issues at all (except maybe the brake pedal as that one is definitely the way all of the other Y's on the road right now are), but they are known issues so there is no surprise here. I'd pressure your service center to fix them. Use testimony from others on this forum where their service centers have fixed the same issues if needed.

My intention wasn't to place blame...you're right that a lot of that isn't acceptable and should be addressed. I was just saying your expectations were maybe a bit too high for the first batch of a new Tesla volume model. I don't think those issues are unfixable to the point you should hate your car, and I hope that'snot the case. But I understand if so.

When I bought my current Range Rover I was in love with the design (still am). I think its beautiful inside and out and drives amazingly. But I got one of the first off the line (ordered the day it was unveiled) and it took a year and a half of software updates before any of it was usable. There were also little quality control issues throughout that are likely related to it being an early production example. Overall not a great ownership experience despite how much I like the car. I'm getting a Y late summer...I already told them Aug at the earliest. I'm hoping by then they'll have caught up with demand and things will be a bit better.

Reactions: cbaaz
Well, coming from Model S, the initial Model Y build quality could use some improvement. I had several issues of my own, but my local service center correct all of them. I thought Model Y will learn/benefit from Model 3 manufacturing hell, but I don't have a Model 3 to compare with.

As for the energy consumption, I see the same trend as you, but only on local street. If set it on AP for 70mph on freeway, I'm able to achieve the promised miles. But, with a lot of stop & go traffic and a few accretions, the energy consumption is around 330-350 wh/mi

Oh boy...
my experience has been a bitter one.
Performance Long Range (PUP).
Car delivered late March, could not get over how different it was in terms of driving from my 2015 model S.
Noticed heavy welded brake pedal and smudged, weirdly polished paint on several spots.
Back seat panel not fitting right, popped out completely on left rear seat.
Mileage horrible, energy usage enormous.
Windshield cracked 2 weeks later on my way to work, first little pebble hitting windshield created a 2 foot long crack.
Scheduled replacement, waited a week to get the part in, another 5 for repair.
New windshield installed at the tune of $1300.
Brake pedal not repaired, told that it was "not unusual" and that Tesla won't replace it.
Mileage: apparently I can't drive a Tesla.
Back panel replaced, STILL doesn't fit. They returned it looking EXACTLY the same, then made me wait another 30 mins just to "tuck it in". After noticing that it looked the same I was told that they can't fix it and I need to get used to it. Apparently engineering is aware and when the fix is there, I can report issue again.
When picking up car from service I noticed several other major assembly issues around headlights, roof and inside on the microphone/emergency button panel on the roof that barely hold itself in.
I'm really disappointed and mad.
$62K plus for this...this is unacceptable.
I can't enjoy driving this car anymore.
I want to return it but don't know if it is even possible and if I could even exchange and pay up for a Model S. I know that car is built well.
Any suggestions? What are my options?

Much obliged....

Pretty much the norm for tesla service and quality these days, consider yourself lucky you had a few good years of S ownership (Like myself) I felt like I bought at "peak Tesla" as my late 2016 was the first with AP2 upgrade HW. Had three good years with warranty service super slow but accommodating with loaners and nice folks.

Once I hit the warranty expiry it got real:
2200 for a new MCU,
200 for diagnosis of low speed whine called "normal" by service tech
400 for steering wheel controls failure (2 replaced under warranty)
Surly service techs - just following instructions I know - and never the same one twice tho which says to me they have high turnover

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-30_16-48-19.png
    upload_2020-4-30_16-48-19.png
    397 KB · Views: 151
OP, seriously, sell the car. You've done nothing but complain about it, so why keep it? It's actually a no brainer. Due to high demand and very low supply, you should be able to get nearly what you paid for it. I'm not sure why you're even bothering to post this question? Obviously, you don't like the car, so take advantage of the market and move on. I mean, I understand some of your issues. But getting your windshield broken by a rock like that could happen to any car. And $1300 for a dealer replacement? That is a DEAL! Break a windshield on a BMW and see how much that hurts! The weld on the brake pedal, really? You hate the car so much you're looking for reasons to dislike it. Move on.

I'm extremely happy with my Y. I realize some are having issues, but it seems like the vast majority are not having issues that can't be easily fixed. Mine needs the right rear door aligned. Also, a very minor alignment issue on the hatch. That's it. Both just cosmetic, and both will be repaired after the lockdown. I've gone over my Y PUP with a fine tooth comb. I am pretty damn picky, but that's all I've found. Best factory paint I've had on a car. Certainly better than the BMW I owned. As far as build quality, best car I've owned. I'm comparing to Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Porsche, Honda and Chrysler. Maybe current BMWs and Porsches are better, I don't know. But I couldn't be happier. I would change some things. When you turn on your blinker while manually driving and a car is too close in the other lane for safety, there should be a warning horn. (Or at least the option in the settings for one.) I'd like the option to order a better subwoofer. There really should be better options for playing music off your USB. (Like playlists.) I would like to have Waze up on the nav display. Half a second faster 0 - 60. Yep I'd like all those things, but no car is perfect. The Y is still my favorite car ever.

My car at delivery was significantly worse than yours. See my post.

LR AWD delivered w/ suboptimal quality: return or keep?

I decided to keep the car at the end, and couldn't be happier with the decision. The car went back to service, then delivery center, and the Tesla factory for a week (I live in the same city where the factory is). I was shocked to find it there but Tesla app location doesn't lie. It literally went back to the factory.

They replaced a mirror, changed the whole front bumper, repainted a bunch of places, just about everything was fixed perfectly. I still have another service appointment set up for next month, because they are waiting for a new windshield to replace (a tiny chip that's barely noticeable). They also want to replace the whole back bumper, because a small paint chip on the bumper was not "fixed perfectly" ( it looked perfect enough to me). Honestly I might save Tesla some money because they don't bother me at all. I am really impressed with the service people. I think Tesla sales people and delivery center people are not that great, but the service people are different. My driver side door was not perfectly aligned. The delivery center said it was "within spec" and they won't adjust it, but when I brought it into service, service said "are they kidding, I will not let you drive the car like that, I will fix it for you".

I do still have one problem similar to yours, the back panel of the back row seat was coming off a bit. The service people said they are waiting for a factory fix to be provided, before they fix mine. They said it's well documented and it will get fixed.

It must have been costly to Tesla with these fixes, but they did them without me harassing or pressuring them at all.
If the service people you are talking to are not great, consider trying a different service center or at least a different service person?

I am so happy with my car right now. Just purchased FSD, because I think I will have no problem keepjng the car for at least 5 years.

Don't give up!

Low cost Tesla?
$62K+ is not 'low cost'
Thanks for your input.

One spent the money on EV drivetrain and the other on build quality.

It looks like the buyer has to make a choice.

Reactions: KRG21