Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No he said he broke it and apologized. I was watching when it happened.
If that is the connector to the speaker under the glove box, that connector is really fragile and prone to breaking. I just broke mine because it's wedged into the speaker connector, and also the connector is a horrible weak design.

The speaker itself is a backup/emergency speaker in case your head unit crashes and you need notifications for AP warnings.

Reactions: fortunex
This is the one of the few issues on my Model 3 that I wish could be permanently fixed. My other car have not had this issue, and i have also replaced my filter and sprayed cleaner for 3 years in a row now (including initial Tesla service visit which also only made the clean smell last for a few weeks).
Swapping filters + cleaning the screen works, but it looks like it's going to be a yearly thing (even with the supposed "fix" in the previous update).

This looks like it is affecting more and more people, as I cannot find any cleaner in stock anywhere!
I used Klima-cleaner before (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&psc=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div) and it has been out of stock for a while now.
What other cleaners do people use that we could use? thanks

This is the one of the few issues on my Model 3 that I wish could be permanently fixed. My other car have not had this issue, and i have also replaced my filter and sprayed cleaner for 3 years in a row now (including initial Tesla service visit which also only made the clean smell last for a few weeks).
Swapping filters + cleaning the screen works, but it looks like it's going to be a yearly thing (even with the supposed "fix" in the previous update).

This looks like it is affecting more and more people, as I cannot find any cleaner in stock anywhere!
I used Klima-cleaner before (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&psc=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div) and it has been out of stock for a while now.
What other cleaners do people use that we could use? thanks
They have a 2 pack available. https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-961...&keywords=klima+cleaner&qid=1627323347&sr=8-7

Reactions: plasmo and kraftg35
So....I had two different BMWs that had terrible odors from the HVAC. I'd change filters and the smell would go away, but it would return randomly from time to time. This was probably due to my short commute which would not run HVAC long enough to dry everything out. What ended up FINALLY eliminating the odor completely was an ozone generator. You can rent them at most rental places. Just put it in the car, windows up, turn the fan on and leave the generator and the fan on for a few hours. Turn it off, air out the car. Voila....smell gone. I guess it kills anything organic. I don't know the chemistry, but it DOES work. If the smell returns, just do it all over again. Super easy in a Tesla since you can leave the fan running without running the engine.
Some seal failed and rainwater leaked into the interior, soaking the floor from front to back. It smelled like old gym locker. Pretty sure the ozone generator is the same treatment my car got.

Credit to Tesla, they replaced literally ALL the carpeting and mats for free,

I scheduled appointment with Tesla mobile to come out to do this. I bought filters a while ago, but could never get a hand on the cleaners to do the job right, cant stand the smell. Not happy about $145, but worth it to enjoy driving my car. Next time if smell comes back, will have tools ready. my drivers are fairly short here in Socal, maybe 15 miles one way or so. does sound like a design flaw as couple of previous cars i had, never had issue with the smell.

I have the sweaty sneaker smell in my car now that it’s summer and I’m using the A/C a lot but I find that after about five minutes of driving it goes away. So I have just learned to live with it. I did change the cabin filter last year and it fixed the problem for a while but I’m not inclined to bother fixing it again because the problem will go away once the weather cools down and it’s only smelly for a few minutes each time I start the car.

Seems to me this is common fault territory. It should be fixed for free as just using this forum as evidence should suffice. My 2019 AC was smelly from day one. It went away after a few mins and there was a software update to apparently mitigate it but on getting in the car after not using it for a day or 2 if I did not pre heat it. You got a nice musky blast… see what I did. First for me in any car period and Tesla should not charge for a service under warranty for this. Press them harder people and use the evidence here.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I removed the cabin filter and cleaned the condenser. Instead of replacing the cabin filter, I installed an aftermarket filter that goes in the frunk. Granted, it may not be quite as effective, but it eliminates any odors and is much easier to replace.

Let us know how that goes. I see evidence of moisture in the frunk intake so I would expect it to get wet. Also there is a drain hole that will not get filtered.

I would be conserned dust from the drain hole or on recirc will now get in the coils which would be a major repair item. We had a used Toyota RAV4 with dirty coils and it was cheaper to sell it as is than to repair it.

Last edited:
Some people are trying the after market filters with a plastic housing to see if that keeps the filters from soaking up moisture.

This year I added a strip of carbon filter around the outside edge which should be less absorbent as well as provide some airflow.

Every summer I do the koolit and it is good for the rest of the summer until next summer, so only time will tell if this works.

PXL_20210718_164600919.jpg