Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked for that when I did mine just a few weeks ago. I ended up with this. #4 on the list mentions an anti-bacterial layer close to the coil (last layer):

Hasn't been long so it'll take a while for me to know if these eliminate the odor or cause it to not return for a long time. They also have a plastic lip around the edge which could prevent or minimize the filters picking up dampness from the ducting. I'm hopeful but the jury will be out for a while on these.

Mike
Keep us updated!

Well, it rained hard today and guess what the funk is back. SMH!!
When I change the filters I use 2 cans of Klima. More contents per can. I also try to park with the recirculation off. After leaving the car, the fan will come back on to dry the condenser. (This was a software change about a year ago). Running outside are even if more humid seems to help as recirculated air may contain exhaled things that even tough is dryer air may cause odor over time. Many have suggested leaving recirculate off when able with reasonable outside conditions. I tried this as well and it seemed to help. My method - change the filters twice a year, clean with 2 cans Klima and also check for intake debris such as leaves. I installed a filter screen (home made from gutter screen to minimize restricting airflow).

I’ve been following this thread closely, but this is my first comment. I have had the problem many times before with my 3 year old model 3, and like many of you I was getting away with doing the cleaning and filter change once or twice a year. After getting it done for free via goodwill the first time, and then them trying to charge me nearly $200 after that, I have since done it myself.

I most recently did it about a month ago, and like usual it worked and everything was good, except for the smell returned after about a month when it usually lasts at least 4-6. I was fed up and decided to open a service appointment, and someone from Tesla called me and basically gave me all the same steps that have been mentioned here for ways to prevent it, such as turning off recirculation shortly before your destination, and explained it was just one of the quirks of the car, and then canceled my appointment.

I assumed then maybe it was my fault since last month I only used a single can of Kool-it, I figured maybe that was my problem, as I usually use Klima but they were out. So I decided I would just do it again. This time I got the Klima, and brand new special HEPA filters that someone on here recommended. I did the service Friday. I noticed yesterday a slight smell, but figured maybe that was something lingering from my garage because I didn’t notice it every time. Nope, the smell is back full force every drive now. Two days later.

I have opened another service appointment and we’ll see how it goes but this is getting ridiculous. It was one thing when I had to do this evaporator cleaning and filter change a couple times a year, even though I am fully on board with this being a manufacturer defect that Tesla should address. But if I can’t even do that to get the smell to go away, where does that leave me? Sure, maybe I could use two cans of Klima like others suggest, which definitely feels like overkill to me, but then what? Next year three cans? Am I gonna have to start buying cases of the stuff?

I’ll leave updates here, but at best I’m expecting them to offer maybe another free or reduced price cleaning, and that’s it.

EDIT: FWIW I Iive in central Texas. Smell only happens when it’s hot, which is 65%+ of the year. Humidity is usually medium to low.

Last edited:
I’ve been following this thread closely, but this is my first comment. I have had the problem many times before with my 3 year old model 3, and like many of you I was getting away with doing the cleaning and filter change once or twice a year. After getting it done for free via goodwill the first time, and then them trying to charge me nearly $200 after that, I have since done it myself.

I most recently did it about a month ago, and like usual it worked and everything was good, except for the smell returned after about a month when it usually lasts at least 4-6. I was fed up and decided to open a service appointment, and someone from Tesla called me and basically gave me all the same steps that have been mentioned here for ways to prevent it, such as turning off recirculation shortly before your destination, and explained it was just one of the quirks of the car, and then canceled my appointment.

I assumed then maybe it was my fault since last month I only used a single can of Kool-it, I figured maybe that was my problem, as I usually use Klima but they were out. So I decided I would just do it again. This time I got the Klima, and brand new special HEPA filters that someone on here recommended. I did the service Friday. I noticed yesterday a slight smell, but figured maybe that was something lingering from my garage because I didn’t notice it every time. Nope, the smell is back full force every drive now. Two days later.

I have opened another service appointment and we’ll see how it goes but this is getting ridiculous. It was one thing when I had to do this evaporator cleaning and filter change a couple times a year, even though I am fully on board with this being a manufacturer defect that Tesla should address. But if I can’t even do that to get the smell to go away, where does that leave me? Sure, maybe I could use two cans of Klima like others suggest, which definitely feels like overkill to me, but then what? Next year three cans? Am I gonna have to start buying cases of the stuff?

I’ll leave updates here, but at best I’m expecting them to offer maybe another free or reduced price cleaning, and that’s it.

EDIT: FWIW I Iive in central Texas. Smell only happens when it’s hot, which is 65%+ of the year. Humidity is usually medium to low.
Check the intake for leaves and debris. That is what service will do. 2 cans Klima ad 2 filters. Twice a year works for me in the NE.

Reactions: shifteru
I’m not sure what I’m doing differently (if anything), but I’m not having this as a recurring issue, after almost 4 years and 64,000 miles. And I’m in Florida, where AC is used 100% of the time. Maybe this is a thing that only a (very vocal and emphatic) percentage of owners are experiencing?

I’m not sure what I’m doing differently (if anything), but I’m not having this as a recurring issue, after almost 4 years and 64,000 miles. And I’m in Florida, where AC is used 100% of the time. Maybe this is a thing that only a (very vocal and emphatic) percentage of owners are experiencing?
I'm at 37k, had the issue once at 2 yrs and 3 months. I did the cleaning once at that time (slightly different way as noted) and its now 4 months later and still no smell.
Just my theory is some mold or mildew or whatever kind of funk gets on the other side of the evaporator where is harder to get to. At no faupt of there own, those having repeated issues, could the cleaner not be removing all the stinky crap from the back side of the evaporator?
I will say tho, if I had done the cleaning 2,3 or 4 times and the smell keeps coming back in a few weeks or a month.... I'd be very vocal and emphatic too. If fact very pissed off as others are and should be.

Reactions: shifteru
I have a 2020, I get the smell about every year. I replace filters and use the evaporator cleaner (Kool it or Klima), seems to be just fine. Takes about ten min to get into the area, 20 min to let the cleaner do its job, 20 min to blow the cleaner out with fan on high speed, and ten to put it all back together. About $30 in parts.

Reactions: Rmchrger
Both our 2018 3 and 2021 Y have this issue and use kilma and change filters twice a year. In the past 30 years only had a similar smell in one other vehicle (which had a TSB to fix). It may not happen to everyone, but we are convinced it is more likely to happen on the 3 and Y than the average vehicle.

Wife is livid and threatens to Twitter Elon :)

I just take it as a sign to spend an hour doing maintenance for a defective design.

I still think it has more to do with use cases than even climate. If we had a Google sheet or something where people could submit answers to relevant questions, we might be able to pick up on a pattern. I'm talking about stuff like area/climate but also things like "Do you often take short trips under 10 miles?", "Does your car often stay parked for several days without being driven?", "Do you park in a garage?", "Do you use car washes?" and so on. And the obvious defining question, something like "Do you have to replace filters/clean every 6 months or sooner due to HVAC odor?" There may be multiple factors that cause the problem to really be bad.

For me, it comes back every 4 months or so but I'm not that mad about it. It's just a mystery that begs to be solved. ;) The above questionaire came to mind because I'm probably not the typical use case. My car can sit in the garage as long as a week before being driven.

Mike

I still think it has more to do with use cases than even climate. If we had a Google sheet or something where people could submit answers to relevant questions, we might be able to pick up on a pattern. I'm talking about stuff like area/climate but also things like "Do you often take short trips under 10 miles?", "Does your car often stay parked for several days without being driven?", "Do you park in a garage?", "Do you use car washes?" and so on. And the obvious defining question, something like "Do you have to replace filters/clean every 6 months or sooner due to HVAC odor?" There may be multiple factors that cause the problem to really be bad.

For me, it comes back every 4 months or so but I'm not that mad about it. It's just a mystery that begs to be solved. ;) The above questionaire came to mind because I'm probably not the typical use case. My car can sit in the garage as long as a week before being driven.

Mike
FWIW I never cleaned the condenser or filter (waiting for the 2 year mark per the manual) until I relocated to New England from southern California. Had the car for about 1 1/2 years. Now every 6 months. First time I cleaned it I used 2 cans Kool-it - smell came back shortly - then 2 more cans of Klima (Klima cans are larger). Following instructions on can and did complete clean and dry cycle with each can prior to install new filters. I used the HEPA filters that have a foam gasket around them but it makes them harder to install and remove. My next set will be closer to factory filters. So far this season no odor and it has been 4 months. Will do again with 2 cans in the fall.

I just installed one of these deflectors on my 3. Fit just like they claimed. I am not sure if it's going to make a difference with water getting in the intake but it was worth a shot.

US $18.46 46%OFF | Futhope Front Waterproof Chassis Cover Water Strip For Tesla Model 3 Y Air inlet protective cover modification accessories

I just installed one of these deflectors on my 3. Fit just like they claimed. I am not sure if it's going to make a difference with water getting in the intake but it was worth a shot.

US $18.46 46%OFF | Futhope Front Waterproof Chassis Cover Water Strip For Tesla Model 3 Y Air inlet protective cover modification accessories
This might work. Thanks! Did it made it harder to close the hood?

Last edited:
Reactions: Flybyglass
The existence of this problem and the existence of that part (which actually looks fairly good), are more proof that the cars are designed by 12 year olds on computer screens that can't actually operate them in the real world. This is the only car we've ever had with a smell so bad I want to lock Tesla designers inside it for a month until they fix the smell.