Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh dear, what a disappointment.

Started off well, but soon became apparent that it needs to be right on top of the speed sign to notice it. Far too late for any smooth transition.

The good - it spotted a slightly occluded 40mph 'max speed' for bends sign, below from Google StreetView as I didn't capture it on dashcam. Bad news that part way through the corners, it spotted a 50mph repeater. So thankfully it does not respond to speed signs otherwise I would have been heading back to 50 in a complex of corners that in some weather conditions are a bit fast at 50. So that needs a bit of thought.

upload_2020-9-9_11-59-53.pngupload_2020-9-9_12-5-1.png

Autopilot and NoA seemed much the same. I did have the car perform a very nice slowdown as I was on TACC and oncoming car decided to pull into my line to nip past a parked up van. These things don't occur very often, so this finesse may have been around for a while.

But the epic fail was speed limit recognition. For those that don't know the A331 Blackwater Valley Route, a year of so ago, they extended the 50mph zone to the next junction along. For locals use to the old 70mph, it still requires a bit of thought not to revert to old limits and not accelerate right up to 70mph from the Frimley entry. Likewise, coming from A31, having to slow early to 50 still feels too early.

So, here I was hoping that the now defunct 70mph, drilled into the maps would be a thing of the past. They have highly visible road signs to warn people. Well unfortunately, the new 2020.36.3 software is totally blind to these, so the car still thinks that the new 50 is the old 70.

upload_2020-9-9_11-49-4.png

Such as basic fail, I didn't even bother to go looking for gantry signs. It didn't even recognise, as previously mentioned, the national sign coming out of the 50 or, curiously, any of the 50mph repeaters in this area. Almost as if map speed limits were taking priority on this section.

Oh yes, and didn't slow for speed limits either, but then, I had never knowingly seen that occur before with GPS signs that could not be explained by other features such as car in front or fleet speed. So rather hard manual braking as I entered a 50 pretty much at full NSL speed.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-9_11-48-35.png
    upload_2020-9-9_11-48-35.png
    910.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Can anyone explain how the improved cruise set speed improvement is implemented? Are you able to enable cruise by solely tapping the speed indicator or does it still require press down on the right stick? Does it then take the map speed limit as before rather than the speed you are travelling at? Presumably you can then fumble for the screen and reset the speed to your current speed (what most of us actually want by default)? I don't see how it does anything more/less than what you can achieve by simply moving the right side scroll button on the steering wheel, am I missing something?

Can anyone explain how the improved cruise set speed improvement is implemented? Are you able to enable cruise by solely tapping the speed indicator or does it still require press down on the right stick? Does it then take the map speed limit as before rather than the speed you are travelling at? Presumably you can then fumble for the screen and reset the speed to your current speed (what most of us actually want by default)? I don't see how it does anything more/less than what you can achieve by simply moving the right side scroll button on the steering wheel, am I missing something?

Once TACC is enabled, you can either control its speed via
  • Scroll wheel on steering wheel - unchanged
  • Tapping speed limit sign - unchanged - sets TACC speed to displayed speed limit
  • Tapping the current Speedo speed - new - sets TACC to the current speed of the vehicle
The new method makes it relatively easy to set the TACC speed to current vehicle speed. As you say, you could scroll the steering wheel scroll wheel down a few notches. The new functionality is more useful when a large speed differential is wanted. Its size also makes it less of a fumble than trying to find the speed limit icon.

Not surprising NSL doesn't work as it's a bit more complex.. different speed depending on whether there's a central reservation and how far apart the streetlamps are. Maybe with the rewrite it could have enough data to make a decision.

Hasn't it already got that info in the map? eg NoA will only engage on a motorway or some dual carriageways so it knows when NSL should be 70.

Reactions: timpharrison
The main speed display

I’m just wondering if engaging TACC can recognise you wanting it to engage at current speed or whether it only allows you to re-adjust to required speed as it sets “go to speed limit” speed.

Once TACC is enabled, you can either control its speed via
  • Scroll wheel on steering wheel - unchanged
  • Tapping speed limit sign - unchanged - sets TACC speed to displayed speed limit
  • Tapping the current Speedo speed - new - sets TACC to the current speed of the vehicle
The new method makes it relatively easy to set the TACC speed to current vehicle speed. As you say, you could scroll the steering wheel scroll wheel down a few notches. The new functionality is more useful when a large speed differential is wanted. Its size also makes it less of a fumble than trying to find the speed limit icon.
If you are not currently using TACC and engage it, does it still default to what the maps think is the speed limit, or does it use what the cameras think is the limit or current speed? I'd love it to set at the current speed but I'm doubtful that's the case.

I guess my scenario is TACC is running in the 30, I speed up to 50 using the pedal then roll the scroll wheel and set the new speed. So this new feature doesn't add anything.

However, if I'm going 50 on a road with a Tesla limit of 70 (vs real limit of 50), then it's a engage TACC and then tap the speed to avoid speed up - better but still a bit weird.

Not really a complaint, eventually we'll get a toggle option to suit preference of actual vs limit speed when engaging, something that would never happen on the old legacy car brands.

If you are not currently using TACC and engage it, does it still default to what the maps think is the speed limit, or does it use what the cameras think is the limit or current speed? I'd love it to set at the current speed but I'm doubtful that's the case.

Nothing changed in that respect. It sets the TACC to the current speed limit irrespective of whether that speed limit came from camera or map data.

• Informative
Reactions: m3gt2
Still too fiddly though, as above why not just engage TACC at current speed, there is no reason for it not to other than a developer thinking they know better

I wonder if it's the America/California driving ways that influence the thinking? Busy highways so you're likely to be following what's in front so the car setting the speed limit is more a protection for the infrequent time when you do get clear of traffic and don't wish to exceed the prescribed limit. Also they don't do many bends out there, so I would doubt the limits the car sets feel quite so frightening when you've a wide open freeway in front of you, rather than here when you've a wet, windy single carriageway road that sets cruise to 60!

Reactions: timpharrison
I wonder if it's the America/California driving ways that influence the thinking? Busy highways so you're likely to be following what's in front so the car setting the speed limit is more a protection for the infrequent time when you do get clear of traffic and don't wish to exceed the prescribed limit. Also they don't do many bends out there, so I would doubt the limits the car sets feel quite so frightening when you've a wide open freeway in front of you, rather than here when you've a wet, windy single carriageway road that sets cruise to 60!
Not so in my experience I'm afraid - I've been driving my Daughters FSD Model X & various other Teslas in several USA States since 2017. The 101 PCH approaching Santa Barbara has some quite severe bends, same on curvy Freeway sections through Boise Idaho which are often quiet, windswept and wet in winter.

But the epic fail was speed limit recognition. For those that don't know the A331 Blackwater Valley Route, a year of so ago, they extended the 50mph zone to the next junction along. For locals use to the old 70mph, it still requires a bit of thought not to revert to old limits and not accelerate right up to 70mph from the Frimley entry. Likewise, coming from A31, having to slow early to 50 still feels too early.

So, here I was hoping that the now defunct 70mph, drilled into the maps would be a thing of the past. They have highly visible road signs to warn people. Well unfortunately, the new 2020.36.3 software is totally blind to these, so the car still thinks that the new 50 is the old 70.

Well the release notes do specify that it only works on local roads. Not highways/motorways.

Not so in my experience I'm afraid - I've been driving my Daughters FSD Model X & various other Teslas in several USA States since 2017. The 101 PCH approaching Santa Barbara has some quite severe bends, same on curvy Freeway sections through Boise Idaho which are often quiet, windswept and wet in winter.

My experience is Arizona but your point is valid which makes the decision to set the limit when you engage all the more baffling/irritating!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Rustybkts