Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since being on 4.15, when at home connected to WiFi & the Spotify playlist is selected, it starts playing & after driving away it continues.

However, premium connectivity expired last month & I haven’t resubscribed yet. This definitely didn’t happen on the 4.12 update but perhaps the latest includes some sort of music buffer as on each journey Spotify continued playing until I reached the destination & parked (admittedly only short journeys but I was able to fast forward through numerous songs to test)

That’s my perception too. I would expect that at some point, a wider beta release of V11 will have to take place worldwide and putting FSD cars on a slightly different software path, keeps things tidy. Could be wrong of course…
Teslafi shows 1288 cars today have received 4.15.12 with absolutely none before today. It had looked like 4.18 was the big roll out. I have a sneaky suspicion Tesla is getting ready for V11 as the Model S Plaid deliveries start in 2 weeks with an event and it will probably be V11 on those.

Since being on 4.15, when at home connected to WiFi & the Spotify playlist is selected, it starts playing & after driving away it continues.

However, premium connectivity expired last month & I haven’t resubscribed yet. This definitely didn’t happen on the 4.12 update but perhaps the latest includes some sort of music buffer as on each journey Spotify continued playing until I reached the destination & parked (admittedly only short journeys but I was able to fast forward through numerous songs to test)
There have definitely been spotify updates in the 4.15 branch. Audio quality is improved - I suspect they've increased the bitrate. I'm assuming that isn't in the 4.18 yet as it would be noted more widely (I was wondering if I was imagining it but asked elsewhere and someone else had noticed the improvement as well).

There have definitely been spotify updates in the 4.15 branch. Audio quality is improved - I suspect they've increased the bitrate. I'm assuming that isn't in the 4.18 yet as it would be noted more widely (I was wondering if I was imagining it but asked elsewhere and someone else had noticed the improvement as well).
Apple Music is launching lossless for no extra cost in June. I presume Spotify Hi-Fi will have to match the no extra cost bit - hope Tesla can accommodate that.

Reactions: Empato

I noticed that improvement in streaming quality starting from 1-2 weeks ago. But I didn't receive any update at the time, it just happened one day.

I was starting to doubt myself, so glad to read you also noticed. A raise of bitrate makes sense, the bass goes deeper and I never changed any settings.

Teslafi shows 1288 cars today have received 4.15.12 with absolutely none before today. It had looked like 4.18 was the big roll out. I have a sneaky suspicion Tesla is getting ready for V11 as the Model S Plaid deliveries start in 2 weeks with an event and it will probably be V11 on those.
its worth checking out Greentheonly on Twitter. It looks like the 4.15 branch is running different code. He suspects that its the newer EAP/FSD using the latest neural nets designed to eliminate radar and just use vision. This branch also seems to have V3 of the wiper code and animal visualization.
4.18 doesn't seem to have any of that stuff.
His record for finding this stuff seems to be pretty good.

Reactions: AnthonyLR

The Green guy on Twitter seems to think that 2021.4.15.12 is a release of FSD Beta without the visual bits enabled, basically just for data collection. Would make sense given that FSD users are clearly on the 2021.4.15.x track.

I just updated to 2021.4.15.12 from .10, and previously .8 and .6. The car hasn't moved since the last 3 updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark-R and MrBadger
4.18 here

Blimey, has Elon given the windscreen wiper programmer a pay rise? They work bloody well. Just drove on the M1 from J26 to 21 in horrific rain and it worked like a charm even past lorries with spray.

Also the car is now sitting in the middle of the lane on AP

Reactions: oneonorder
I'm presuming that @verygreen is only saying that the 4.15.x branch is about the NN that supports FSD beta and that we only get the highways functionality rather than the limited US FSD beta City Streets module?

If that is the case, then this is a significant update - it goes far deeper than I was expecting. It may also explain some of the nervous behaviour and increase in collision detection events.

What would be good to know is how much of the usefulness of the FSD beta transfers to regular highways, such as correct speed limit detection (not just speed signs, but only speed signs on our road and not adjacent ones), cornering speeds, lane changes (I've noticed some changes with this recently but still far from perfect) etc etc.

I've got a few more opportunities next week to test 4.15.12, or may be it will be 4.15.14 by then!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthonyLR
its worth checking out Greentheonly on Twitter. It looks like the 4.15 branch is running different code. He suspects that its the newer EAP/FSD using the latest neural nets designed to eliminate radar and just use vision. This branch also seems to have V3 of the wiper code and animal visualization.
4.18 doesn't seem to have any of that stuff.
His record for finding this stuff seems to be pretty good.
From my perspective 4.15 wipers are better, NoA seemed a lot more nervous.

I'm presuming that @verygreen is only saying that the 4.15.x branch is about the NN that supports FSD beta and that we only get the highways functionality rather than the limited US FSD beta City Streets module?

If that is the case, then this is a significant update - it goes far deeper than I was expecting. It may also explain some of the nervous behaviour and increase in collision detection events.

What would be good to know is how much of the usefulness of the FSD beta transfers to regular highways, such as correct speed limit detection (not just speed signs, but only speed signs on our road and not adjacent ones), cornering speeds, lane changes (I've noticed some changes with this recently but still far from perfect) etc etc.

I've got a few more opportunities next week to test 4.15.12, or may be it will be 4.15.14 by then!
I haven’t been anywhere on 4.15.12 yet but 4.15.10’s we’re on the money in very light rain. However, a side road 30mph did get picked up in a 50mph limit. The truth is that the junction is on a bend and the signs are staring you in the face so not much you can do about that.

The truth is that the junction is on a bend and the signs are staring you in the face so not much you can do about that.

I bet the speed signs were either side of the road and correctly positioned in the visualisation? If you were manually driving, it could be argued that the car didn't know if you were staying on the road, or turning off into the side road (easy to solve this problem). But if nav is on, then the car knows where it is likely going, more so if on AP, and it would be pretty obvious that the speed signs did not relate to the current route.

Taking the argument one step further, the car doesn't start slowing for traffic lights or stop lines on the side road (TACC and AP with FSD stop line control enabled), so it is aware of car direction and location of the car and the stop line and exclude the stop line from its decision making, so nothing to stop it from doing the case with speed signs and getting it right with a high level of accuracy.

As it happens, I believe that this is solved with City Streets beta hence hoping for that functionality to make it to regular releases.

imho.

edit - I've posted this video a couple of times before, but it shows a route driven back to back the difference between existing non city streets and the new FSD city streets beta. Its night and day different perception and behaviour, and whilst no specific example, shows how the BEV (birds eye view) gives the car no excuses for not being able to map signs and traffic lights to the appropriate path. imho, a worthwhile under 10 minute watch.

And screen grab of first junction showing how the car perceives it differently between 'existing' Autopilot and BEV on City Streets FSD beta. Note how with FSD beta the car knows the position of everything relative to the planned route.

1621625695979.png

Last edited:
15.12 A road I use has a right turn into a trading estate. There is an entrance to a garage on the left and cars use this to undertake cars waiting to turn right. M3 would normally just stop, but today, the car started to move to the left as if to undertake. I took control before it got too far into the manoeuvre. First time I've ever seen that.

I bet the speed signs were either side of the road and correctly positioned in the visualisation? I
Thé layout is a bit of a dogs breakfast. As you approach, the near sign is obscured by an overgrown bush. The far sign has been dealt a blow probably by farm farm traffic. As a result the 30mph is a bit twisted towards you. Car probably sees it as a repeater.
now I think of it, the sign was fully twisted a couple of weeks ago and was showing 50mph. Explains why it gave no grief before

Reactions: MrBadger