Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed something a little while ago about this subject which made me wonder if it was possible that it would be be fixed with further tweaking, or indeed if/when all of the cameras talk to each other in a more harmonious manner (if that is what the neural net is planned to do).
When overtaking a vehicle - lets call it the 'target', it can quite clearly be seen by the forward facing cameras placed in the windscreen and you yourself can see it on the display, where the target vehicle tracks straight (usually) in it's lane. But as you get a bit closer and within roughly a metre behind or start to pass, the B pillar camera starts to see the target vehicle more reliably, and I have repeatedly noticed on the display that the target vehicle appears to shift across it's lane.

As the Tesla AP has been programmed to first and foremost avoid collisions, then as soon as this new information is presented to the AP computer then of course it will take steps to prevent this.

This is probably why the slowing or braking effect (I've experienced a full on erroneous activation of AEB when passing another vehicle) is not seen as often in rain or darker conditions, as the pillar camera doesn't have as clear view.
I think they’ve admitted that stitch all the Camera pictures together was a challenge but the city streets beta was/has addressed this, and that code was in turn starting to be part of the “single stack”. It would be logical to me anyway if that was the case, and if so then things should improve. I have my doubts how quickly FSD v12 beta will get here, but that doesn’t mean some of the underlying components won’t, and I think adaptive headlights is one of them, more reliable general AP may be another “Coming soon”

Reactions: ajmorr.is
I think they’ve admitted that stitch all the Camera pictures together was a challenge but the city streets beta was/has addressed this, and that code was in turn starting to be part of the “single stack”. It would be logical to me anyway if that was the case, and if so then things should improve. I have my doubts how quickly FSD v12 beta will get here, but that doesn’t mean some of the underlying components won’t, and I think adaptive headlights is one of them, more reliable general AP may be another “Coming soon”
I agree they will cherry pick some of the items or tech from that where it makes sense. The new parking view on non-USS cars is clearly the occupancy network that’s generating that view I think used by FSD Beta.

I imagine they’ll be using that for Summon and Auto Park when it eventually comes back.

I also think when they get it good enough they can bring the FSD Beta to motorways say but with slight tweaks to meet our laws. I almost feel like they’ve not done that as autopilot was so far ahead of the competition that they’ve just not needed to.

Just for reference I think my Eletre has something like 4 x Lidar, 5 x Radar and tons of USS and cameras but it’s not nearly as good as Autopilot yet. Can put all the sensors into other brands but they just don’t have the software for it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1307.png
    IMG_1307.png
    802.3 KB · Views: 8
autopilot was so far ahead of the competition that they’ve just not needed to.

Just for reference I think my Eletre has something like 4 x Lidar, 5 x Radar and tons of USS and cameras but it’s not nearly as good as Autopilot yet. Can put all the sensors into other brands but they just don’t have the software for it yet.
Can I get what you are smoking as well?
AP (and we talk about basic AP, autosteer + TACC) - is in the middle of the pack at best.

as mentioned multiple times, 2019 BMW with Driver Assistant Pack has better and more reliable system... and BMW just improved from there, while Tesla stagnated and went backwards regarding it's capability

I’m starting to appreciate why I see other Tesla drivers manually driving on dual carriageways, it’s just so much quieter in the cabin.

By "quieter" do you mean "driver isn't cursing at the car" or is this another British English term for my translation list?

But as you get a bit closer and within roughly a metre behind or start to pass, the B pillar camera starts to see the target vehicle more reliably, and I have repeatedly noticed on the display that the target vehicle appears to shift across it's lane.

Interesting! Then small calibration differences could help explain why it works better in some cars than others.