Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q4 Collection and Delivery Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DEA746F8-6D54-471F-AD47-DA88C9597A10.jpeg
MW, MV, MY……

• Funny
Reactions: DigbyChicken
After driving the car a fair distance today (city, motorway, country roads) I’ve pulled together my thoughts. Hopefully some may find them useful

- the LR has a much more solid feel to it when I compare to older Teslas I have driven (2018 model X and S), there is definitely a big jump in build quality, which was my primary concern before collection

- the acceleration is phenomenal, both from standstill and while already moving. Having test drove a 2021 M3 performance, I’m no less impressed with the LR’s pull. I thought the difference between LR and performance may be more noticeable. The optional acceleration boost is definitely, for me, no longer something to consider

- the handling is brilliant, and I expect the AWD plays a big part in this. The car feels well grounded both on motorways and A-roads

- I haven’t heard any rattling when driving, but when closing the driver’s door, it does sound like a bag of pennies is rattling around inside as it thumps closed. I expect this is an isolated fault, as none of the other doors do it. One for the service guys to look at, I guess

- 3 different fiesta ST drivers tried to drag race me at traffic lights throughout the day. Maybe I’m just unlucky, but hopefully the car isn’t a magnet for “18 year old idiot looking for a race” types

Overall, I’m extremely happy with the whole process and output. From the point of test drive, to receiving an RN number and the updates provided (except when I got “Emma” on live chat, absolutely no help whatsoever…) everything has been infinitely easier than previous experience of ordering Audi and BMW from a main dealer. I hope these companies are now waking up and noticing that Tesla has pulled the rug from beneath them all with a superior product and ordering process

Hopefully those of you ready to collect in the next few days have as positive an experience with collection/ first drive, I’m sure the big smile from the acceleration won’t become boring for a long time! :D

After driving the car a fair distance today (city, motorway, country roads) I’ve pulled together my thoughts. Hopefully some may find them useful

- the LR has a much more solid feel to it when I compare to older Teslas I have driven (2018 model X and S), there is definitely a big jump in build quality, which was my primary concern before collection

- the acceleration is phenomenal, both from standstill and while already moving. Having test drove a 2021 M3 performance, I’m no less impressed with the LR’s pull. I thought the difference between LR and performance may be more noticeable. The optional acceleration boost is definitely, for me, no longer something to consider

- the handling is brilliant, and I expect the AWD plays a big part in this. The car feels well grounded both on motorways and A-roads

- I haven’t heard any rattling when driving, but when closing the driver’s door, it does sound like a bag of pennies is rattling around inside as it thumps closed. I expect this is an isolated fault, as none of the other doors do it. One for the service guys to look at, I guess

- 3 different fiesta ST drivers tried to drag race me at traffic lights throughout the day. Maybe I’m just unlucky, but hopefully the car isn’t a magnet for “18 year old idiot looking for a race” types

Overall, I’m extremely happy with the whole process and output. From the point of test drive, to receiving an RN number and the updates provided (except when I got “Emma” on live chat, absolutely no help whatsoever…) everything has been infinitely easier than previous experience of ordering Audi and BMW from a main dealer. I hope these companies are now waking up and noticing that Tesla has pulled the rug from beneath them all with a superior product and ordering process

Hopefully those of you ready to collect in the next few days have as positive an experience with collection/ first drive, I’m sure the big smile from the acceleration won’t become boring for a long time! :D
Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. Collecting my LR on Tuesday. My local Tesla only had the performance for the test drive. Sounds like I won’t be disappointed

Reactions: Tehd
where are you in kent

Great write up, I’m picking up my LR on Monday and as you only test drove the M3P so was wondering what the performance would be like. I’m coming from a A4 Avant that I owned from new but only for 6 months. I hated it slow as shite and the car tax was going to be 550 a year (luxury car tax) before the A4 I had a Cupra that was 5.2 0-60 so struggled going to the A4 massive so going back to a nippy car will be great. Roll on Monday!!!

Reactions: Tehd
Had a mad experience prior to my pick up today at Thorpe Park. I was originally picking up Monday and my dad was going to give me a lift. But Tesla changed it to today, so I decided to Uber from Croydon, which is around an hour away. Once my Uber arrived, the driver couldn’t get his Prius started, it kept saying key not detected. Eventually we gave up, and decided to call a new Uber, by which time it was surging and I didn’t fancy paying that much. So we decided to drive half way, and Uber it from there, ended up being an hour late for pick up. (My wife’s a new driver and hasn’t driven on a motorway yet, hence why we didn’t go the full way).
But after that a very smooth experience. Luckily it was indoors because the weather was awful. Took at couple minutes at the first tent, and we were directed to the main tent with all the collections. My car ended up being at the very end of the tent, the last car, which had me sweating a bit. All the other white cars had the same first 4 digits, so it was quite fun building it up till the last car.
The car itself was in perfect condition, did the check list and not a fault to be found. The floor of the boot was very wet though, but it was either from the rain or when they cleaned it. Hopefully it’s not a bigger problem than that.

It was charged to 41%, and we decided to go Westfield for some shopping and supercharging. The hour trip took away about 15% battery which was a lot more than I expected. I had some free miles from a referral code, and it was a relatively easy first time experience charging it. The ride home (including picking up our other car) was over an hour, but this time it only took around 8% (no motorway / dual carriage way driving this time maybe?). Also does anyone know what the difference between the 2 charging cables on the super charger are? Is there a benefit to using each?

I have to say I absolutely love the car in black and grey also, and the blue is quite nice too. Not too sure on the red.
Driving the car has been a joy so far. I felt a bit sick after my test drive as I was not expecting the one pedal driving. So I was a bit wary going into today, but within minutes I was fully comfortable. I really need to get a home charger sorted ASAP (only have an external socket at the moment). We have a Citroen E C4 arriving in 2 weeks also, so I really don’t think a 3 pin will do.

So far the only thing I don’t like is the view from the back mirror, it’s really atrocious not being able to see much. It doesn’t help that the rear cam gets really covered in rain. My previous car (Mercedes) hid it underneath the logo, and it really stopped most rain getting in.

I want to share some more pictures/videos but I see everyone here is hiding their number plate. Is it really a big deal if I share my plate ?

Attachments

• EB34C0AB-78D1-4BEE-AFB2-FF0D9FF44000.jpeg
    EB34C0AB-78D1-4BEE-AFB2-FF0D9FF44000.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 44
  • EF96C1BD-304A-4183-A95C-D69CF526FDA9.jpeg
    EF96C1BD-304A-4183-A95C-D69CF526FDA9.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 5029D05B-AF06-427B-9558-150012245F7A.jpeg
    5029D05B-AF06-427B-9558-150012245F7A.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 46
  • D0B419B0-13CE-4DAE-BCB6-FD280B4E9850.jpeg
    D0B419B0-13CE-4DAE-BCB6-FD280B4E9850.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 8D3F882C-80F9-4A64-9F32-79E57B65CDE5.jpeg
    8D3F882C-80F9-4A64-9F32-79E57B65CDE5.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Also does anyone know what the difference between the 2 charging cables on the super charger are? Is there a benefit to using each?

Version 2 superchargers have two cables one is for Model S & X the other, the one you used, (CCS) is for Model 3 & Y. Newer Version 3 superchargers only have a CCS plug (and charger faster).

Assuming you used the navigation to the supercharger (if you didn’t you should) the car will pre-heat the battery for faster charging but consumes more battery in the process.

Reactions: Electron Mike
Another day and night on WiFi and still no rear heated seats etc. Is this at least consistent with other people's experiences after picking up their SR+?
3 of my work friends had theirs appear within 12-36hours.

I am now at nearly 48hrs in and haven't had them arrive in mine yet either. Tesla CS had told a few other people that they should come either in the next software update, or by the end of the year in worst case scenario.

Overall, I am not worried. It wasn't in the specs when I ordered the car anyway, so it's a bonus if I get them without paying the premium on list price/options, etc.

Bear in mind that there is no option on the app to purchase the heated rear seats, which I would say probably means they're on their way, at some point.

I suppose another option is you could contact Tesla CS and see if they can "push" the update through to your car?

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, but newbie poster here.
My SR+ black/black was delivered late Friday. Never had a test drive, never driven an EV before. Im a complete amateur!
I’m over the moon with it. Build quality is excellent. I’m even pleasantly surprised with how it looks irl. I bought the wheel kit thinking I’d remove the Aeros - but I actually think they look great. The acceleration is nuts! Can’t imagine what it’s like for those with a LR or performance model!
All went smoothly with the app syncing with the car - it just seemed to happen by magic. I can’t seem to “claim ownership” of the vehicle in my website account. I’m assuming that’s because it’s leased. I want to be able to look at options like getting premium connectivity etc.
Anyway, I’m waffling. Just wanted to say - I’m chuffed with the car, and thanks to all of you on these forums for the various bits of advice over the last few weeks! 👍

Version 2 superchargers have two cables one is for Model S & X the other, the one you used, (CCS) is for Model 3 & Y. Newer Version 3 superchargers only have a CCS plug (and charger faster).

Assuming you used the navigation to the supercharger (if you didn’t you should) the car will pre-heat the battery for faster charging but consumes more battery in the process.
Glad you asked, I had the same question. I also had to figure out how to get the charger plug out from the charger unit to plug into the car😊