Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q4 Collection and Delivery Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla don’t want to over complicate things so keep it as simple as possible.

But batteries are batteries, same as the ones in your phone or camera.

Plenty of research out there to suggest that keeping the battery in the mid range his healthier for your battery.

Nothing wrong with charging to 100% or drilling it down to 0% but you’ll probably see much bigger losses on the car if you kept doing this. Most might see a 5% drop in 3-4 years as opposed to someone who has the different attitude to batt health who might see 20%.
I do agree with @spon88 though - once isnt going to kill your battery in the same way that doing it every day will.

Cool. Enjoy your delivery day 👍🏼 I’ve also have a pickup that same day in Tilburg. It was the only Saturday available according to the delivery team. Originally my M3LR was planned to arrive 21/12 but looks like things got shuffled around and now it’s a few days earlier. Didn’t manage to find out on which carrier it came. But it was fun to follow all those Tesla ships 🚢 😄

Enjoy! Hopefully i can find a place to work as i chose the default shipping date on monday. I was too anxcious to decline tesla's first shipping proposal and wait for another delivery date. I'm really happy to have a matched car before '22.

I don't know where you read that but it's nonsense. There is absoultely no problem at all using the full capacity of the battery - that's what it's there for. It is best not to leave it sitting at low SoC, especially in cold weather as the usable capacity will reduce and you could end up will less useable than you need.

Historically the 12v on the MS & MX wasn't topped up if the car was left at <20%, and that could hurt the 12v, but not th emain pack.

Aside from the new pack that is happy to be charged to 100% routinely, the same applies to charging to 100% - absolutely no problem in doing this, just don't leave the car sitting there for hours on end.
I’m just trying to offer some friendly advice that was quoted elsewhere. Don’t shoot me down.

Reactions: khew1988
Did my first wash of the car yesterday, used a microfibre glove, and the 2 bucket method (one for dirty water and one for clean) and I still managed to get a nasty paint swirl on the back :( Hope there's a way to get them out! And next time I know to do the bloody wheel arches last because the glove picks up all kinds of crap!

EDIT: assuming these are swirls.... I've dragged my nail over them to see if theyre scratches but I can't feel a dip! (you have to squint to see them!)

IMG_6346.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, how would you know what % you were at if you display range instead - if % was crucial it would be locked to % and % alone surely?

Its a bit like the old myth of not letting a car that runs on liquid dinosaurs go below 1/4 of tank i feel.
I agree going below 20% isn't life threatening but just to your other point the car does pop up a warning when you get to 20% telling you to re-charge and that sentry mode will be stopped. Agree entirely don't leave it too long at a very low state of charge but really can't see any harm in getting down to around 10% in normal use. As it happens I've just re-charged mine arriving at a SC on 8% SOC.

I think Tesla don’t want to over complicate things so keep it as simple as possible.

Plenty of research out there to suggest that keeping the battery in the mid range his healthier for your battery.

Nothing wrong with charging to 100% or drilling it down to 0% but you’ll probably see much bigger losses on the car if you kept doing this. Most might see a 5% drop in 3-4 years as opposed to someone who has the different attitude to batt health who might see 20%.
I hear you but a couple of things worth chucking in for the guys who are newer to Tesla. The first is that there is little apparent harm in taking your car below 20%, even fairly regularly as long as you don't leave it at a low state of charge for too long. I'm not advocating that every day but "reasonably" regularly isn't a big problem as the Tesla BMS is pretty sophisticated by all acccounts and manages the battery well.

The second issue is also BMS related and if you don't periodically span the charge range and let the car sit for a few hours at different levels, the BMS calibration will drift slightly and show unexpected lower mileage. The guys who run their batteries across a broad range of charges tend to have the most accurate mileage readings (albeit lots prefer percentage) whereas those who stick to super conservative charging regimens seem to be the ones who think that they've got premature battery degradation.

The main advice to folk who are newer owners would be to avoid leaving their cars at low state of charge and also not overcharge - albeit the new batteries on the recent cars are much more tolerant at the high end apparently. I have an older 2019 car and most of my charging is in the 30% - 80% range but I have no issues running down towards 10% now and again and also leaving the car sat for a few hours at 95% every couple of months to help calibrate the battery. I'll also charge to 100% on the odd occasion where I need max mileage, but then I'll head straight off.

I think it's easy to fall down a rabbit hole with some of this stuff but if you follow the general advice and be sensible with it, you should be OK and you won't spend too long worrying about your battery.

its a 3 year company lease, so I'm not fussed about what it'll do in 5 years. its bonkers to tell people to only use 20-80%, or only 60% of the battery.

Did my first wash of the car yesterday, used a microfibre glove, and the 2 bucket method (one for dirty water and one for clean) and I still managed to get a nasty paint swirl on the back :( Hope there's a way to get them out! And next time I know to do the bloody wheel arches last because the glove picks up all kinds of crap!

EDIT: assuming these are swirls.... I've dragged my nail over them to see if theyre scratches but I can't feel a dip! (you have to squint to see them!)

View attachment 745264
Nah thats not swirl marks. Swirl marks is where you shine a light at night and see lots of circle scratches.

Yours looks like a smudge of tarmac. Get some tar and glue remover on it and it will come off with a light wipe.
After this, get a cheap wax. I recommend soft99 fusso. Very cheap yet one of the best and easiest to apply.

This sort of smudge won't happen once the fusso is on.
Keep applying fusso every 6/7 months (full car)

• Love
Reactions: Abcmsaj
got a text after confirmation, that my M3LR might come without the USB ports and wireless charging due to global shortages. I can make an appointment where they will fix it at my house at a later time. So far so good. The car is from shanghai. pickup still next monday 12:00 Tilburg Netherlands.
Yeah I can confirm I got that same message. So, have to see if this will be the case. If so planning a date at home when parts become available won’t be a problem.

Enjoy! Hopefully i can find a place to work as i chose the default shipping date on monday. I was too anxcious to decline tesla's first shipping proposal and wait for another delivery date. I'm really happy to have a matched car before '22.
Eventually you can respond the SMS with a new time/date and if that matches on their side they will send a new SMS which you can then confirm. That’s how I replanned my pickup date from 17/12 to 18/12.

View attachment 745264
These are more than swirls. These are scratches.

Might buff out with some ultimate compound.

2 bucket method is all well and good but you always need to start at the top first all round the car then work down.

Looks like grit or a stone was caught will washing.

I believe the cars shipped from China without the USB ports due to parts shortages, and they are being fitted in the UK prior to customer handover when they have time - but not delaying delivery if they can't do all the cards in time.
Got word from my Tesla rep stating that model Y gets priority when it comes to the USB ports as they are more expensive. He also said it’s quite the lottery these days. I also got a text that ports might be missing on my M3P. (Not that inexpensive compared to the Y though) We’ll have to see. Retro fit will be done shorthly after.

Ps: This is my 4th delivery date change mostly due to shipping/logistic issues

Well I've got it 🙂
Arrived around 9:15 ,great communication from Any van , unloaded in no time on on the drive charging as only at 30 %

I have no wireless charging or front ports but had no text to say that was the case but hey ho a minor inconvenience

It has the newer rear lights and 1st impressions are the car looks and feels great

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_101833.jpg
    IMG_20211218_101833.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20211218_101859.jpg
    IMG_20211218_101859.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 42
Well I've got it 🙂
Arrived around 9:15 ,great communication from Any van , unloaded in no time on on the drive charging as only at 30 %

I have no wireless charging or front ports but had no text to say that was the case but hey ho a minor inconvenience

It has the newer rear lights and 1st impressions are the car looks and feels great
Congrats. Waiting patiently for mine. No tracking link yet - meant to arrive between 13:31 and 17:31