Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q4 Collection and Delivery Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, having a bit of a moment here in my newly collected model 3.

I spotted this issue on collection day where there was visible seams in the paint of the front bumper just as it's about to wrap around the edges a black line is visible. I can't feel a raise and it seems to be flush but The staff on the day took photos of this as they said they'd never seen it before. Together with the staff and service techs we checked another white car due for collection and it had the same issue (service techs also checked a couple more out back, same issue) Tesla offered to repaint the bumper for me regardless but my past experience with white cars and matching paint had me second guessing so I turned the option down on the day. I've since given the car its first wash and noticed it's worse than I had thought and is pretty much across the length of the bumper bar the right hand drivers side. See photo below, it's only something you'd notice up close but is really grinding on me now.

Anyone with a white car and have this same issue? As I said, we checked another white car on the day and it had the same issue so I sort of went away thinking this is just how it is... I just want to make sure I'm not blowing this out of proportion in my mind.
Let Tesla paint it. The work can only be signed when you are happy.

Let Tesla paint it. The work can only be signed when you are happy.
I'd be of the same mindset but if this is what all white cars are like I probably won't bother. Im not overly pleased with it at the minute as I assume it's a specific defect in the batch of cars but if this is how it is I'll have it pushed to the back of my head and just get on with life. I can see some threads on this forum from 2 years ago in the US with white and red cars having the same issue.

Just looking to see it anyone else has collected a car this year in white and seen this issue. I checked a blue car on the day of collection and it was perfect

Reactions: Electron Mike
I'd be of the same mindset but if this is what all white cars are like I probably won't bother. Im not overly pleased with it at the minute as I assume it's a specific defect in the batch of cars but if this is how it is I'll have it pushed to the back of my head and just get on with life. I can see some threads on this forum from 2 years ago in the US with white and red cars having the same issue.

Just looking to see it anyone else has collected a car this year in white and seen this issue. I checked a blue car on the day of collection and it was perfect
I collected white on 8/12 from Thorpe Park, don’t see this on mine (best quick pic I could take in the light below)… I do have a scratch elsewhere in the front bumper intake (second pic), if it makes you feel any better, that looks like someone jammed a screwdriver getting the black trim in place, which is rough and tiny but bugging me too and I’m somewhat inclined to let it go now given I’ve had it ceramic coated. I should have waited really but would have been well after Christmas to get it to the detailer and we have a baby on the way in Jan so didn’t want to risk being without a car during crunch time!

40DE9F52-D59E-4A79-BA2C-F08013961787.jpeg

AE34D746-C220-462E-9957-61956021EBD5.jpeg

Reactions: Bandito
Thanks for the image @PastaSource and sorry for the paint issue you've had yourself!

Pretty disheartened now really. Between this, a chip on my rear taillight (being replaced in Jan) my USB stick getting stolen during shipping (they've ordered me one :rolleyes:) and a small scratch on my steering wheel it's most definitely not been the positive experience I had hoped. Tesla stated that the paint shop they use will blend the bumper into the rest of the car but I'm already getting the cold sweats just thinking about it. I had a rear bumper repainted 3 times on my last white car after an accident as it was so difficult to match... It wasn't even a pearl white! 😵

So managed to have a proper look in daylight after a quick wash. More importantly took the M3 for a drive and OMG what an amazing car. Acceleration is insane and it sounds quieter at speed versus test drive car - so delighted with that. Road noise is acceptable too.

Ive managed to book mobile service on the 30th to install missing USB and wireless charger - also asked them to install my mudflats. Now what I found strange - but has improved over the course of driving - is the vibration through the steering wheel at all speeds but mostly at higher speeds. I thought it could be an issue with the balancing but when tarmac is smooth steering wheel does not vibrate much. At high speeds and bumpy motorways it vibrates more. Is this nomal?

Also Managed to myself realign the tailgate by adjusting boot bump stoppers. Although there is still a fair gap between rear tailgates and lights per picture. Is this acceptable or can Tesla do something this about this? Quite tempted to leave so to avoid any damage.

Attachments

• B6353AAF-68A2-45F0-85F6-978F45BE2E2F.jpeg
    B6353AAF-68A2-45F0-85F6-978F45BE2E2F.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 58
  • D92BF2E3-B7AC-4327-A6D0-5BEC28DBAF84.jpeg
    D92BF2E3-B7AC-4327-A6D0-5BEC28DBAF84.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 62
So managed to have a proper look in daylight after a quick wash. More importantly took the M3 for a drive and OMG what an amazing car. Acceleration is insane and it sounds quieter at speed versus test drive car - so delighted with that. Road noise is acceptable too.

Ive managed to book mobile service on the 30th to install missing USB and wireless charger - also asked them to install my mudflats. Now what I found strange - but has improved over the course of driving - is the vibration through the steering wheel at all speeds but mostly at higher speeds. I thought it could be an issue with the balancing but when tarmac is smooth steering wheel does not vibrate much. At high speeds and bumpy motorways it vibrates more. Is this nomal?

Also Managed to myself realign the tailgate by adjusting boot bump stoppers. Although there is still a fair gap between rear tailgates and lights per picture. Is this acceptable or can Tesla do something this about this? Quite tempted to leave so to avoid any damage.

This matches my experience in terms of the quality and like you I was expecting better after reading comments here. I think they've got it to a point where from a few metres it's fine but if you look very closely it's still not great. I honestly think a lot of people are just not noticing or don't think some things are an issue but it's a long way short of the panels on my vw golf. My gaps aren't too bad but lots of bits aren't quite flush.

If I had that tail light gap I would raise a service request and they should really be fitting your mudguards for you too as everyone else had them fitted.

The number plate thing is really weird, just sounds like a mistake.

I don't have any vibrations on my steering wheel that I've noticed.

This matches my experience in terms of the quality and like you I was expecting better after reading comments here. I think they've got it to a point where from a few metres it's fine but if you look very closely it's still not great. I honestly think a lot of people are just not noticing or don't think some things are an issue but it's a long way short of the panels on my vw golf. My gaps aren't too bad but lots of bits aren't quite flush.

If I had that tail light gap I would raise a service request and they should really be fitting your mudguards for you too as everyone else had them fitted.

The number plate thing is really weird, just sounds like a mistake.

I don't have any vibrations on my steering wheel that I've noticed.
Yep added the tailgate lights to the mobile job on the 30th to install USBs so hopefully they will sort. Might need to take it out for another drive to see the how harsh the vibration is.

Did my first wash of the car yesterday, used a microfibre glove, and the 2 bucket method (one for dirty water and one for clean) and I still managed to get a nasty paint swirl on the back :( Hope there's a way to get them out! And next time I know to do the bloody wheel arches last because the glove picks up all kinds of crap!

EDIT: assuming these are swirls.... I've dragged my nail over them to see if theyre scratches but I can't feel a dip! (you have to squint to see them!)

View attachment 745264
I alway power wash the car really well before physically Touching it with a mit, reduces the chances of large grit massively 👍

Reactions: Staypuffman
Woohoo...finally picked up my M3 and all ok (so far)...

Did notice something though 🤔, could all owners check the rubber seal for the rear screen by the left power strut of the boot...it's shorter than the right side...I checked multiple Tesla's on-site and they all have the same cut out but it looks odd to me as water will run down the side when it rains...Tesla did change the rubber seal and put holes in it so water doesn't drip in the trunk when the boot is open...would be interesting to know if everyone has the same thing...wondering whether I should put it as a service request it looks so odd to me 😬

Was so relieved the USB C and wireless charging bits were installed, also newer style rear lights...5 miles on clock with 45% charge and 137m range showing...

Collection was very quick with loads of Tesla's on site at Thorpe Park...CS said there were 140 pickups Saturday which is the most she'd ever seen so the push for end or year has begun...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211220-070235_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211220-070235_Gallery.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20211219-154917_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211219-154917_Gallery.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20211220-070937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211220-070937_Gallery.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20211220-070923_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211220-070923_Gallery.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20211220-070839_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211220-070839_Gallery.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 56
Woohoo...finally picked up my M3 and all ok (so far)...

Did notice something though 🤔, could all owners check the rubber seal for the rear screen by the left power strut of the boot...it's shorter than the right side...I checked multiple Tesla's on-site and they all have the same cut out but it looks odd to me as water will run down the side when it rains...Tesla did change the rubber seal and put holes in it so water doesn't drip in the trunk when the boot is open...would be interesting to know if everyone has the same thing...wondering whether I should put it as a service request it looks so odd to me 😬

Was so relieved the USB C and wireless charging bits were installed, also newer style rear lights...5 miles on clock with 45% charge and 137m range showing...

Collection was very quick with loads of Tesla's on site at Thorpe Park...CS said there were 140 pickups Saturday which is the most she'd ever seen so the push for end or year has begun...
The seal is shorter so the thicker strut clears it. People were worried with the after market power kits that the rubber would split. Tesla solution was to cut a bit off……

Collected my M3 just over a week ago now, have waited to post some pics until I could get it ceramic coated. Just picked it up and it looks fantastic, even if I do say so myself. 😁 I was convinced I'd be removing the aero caps very quickly, but seeing them in person I actually quite like them. Next job, window tinting!

Here's a few pics under the lights...

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    879.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    877.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    678.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    719 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    808 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    761.3 KB · Views: 54
Hey guys, newb here. I’m picking up my model 3 LR today from Bluewater 🤞🏻

Hopefully There’s no snags but do any of you have and advice on what are the main things I need to lookout for when checking the car over? I know of panel gap, issues with the paintwork and some missing usb c ports is there anything else that’s become common?

Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

Collected my M3 just over a week ago now, have waited to post some pics until I could get it ceramic coated. Just picked it up and it looks fantastic, even if I do say so myself. 😁 I was convinced I'd be removing the aero caps very quickly, but seeing them in person I actually quite like them. Next job, window tinting!

Here's a few pics under the lights...

Ooooh, shinny :)

Reactions: Links77