Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last car was a BMW. The dealer was helpful friendly and I built up a good relationship with them and a couple of issues were quickly sorted. However, I did seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time at the salesmanship desk, signing countless forms and paperwork, in between them disappearing for chats with his manager every 5 minutes. That part was painfull.
It certainly is painful and no one likes doing it but for the sake of saving a few grand it’s certainly worth it.

Maybe most Tesla buyers are wealthier than I am and paying a few extra grand makes no difference to them 🤷‍♂️

And the other you paid full whack for 🙄
Or maybe that's just the price of vehicle? Without any middlemen?

Recent price increases, especially in current situation with supply chain, might be the reason for this

If I go to build same bmw 330e i had built on the configurator 2 years ago, you will find that it is more expensive than it was then. And on top of that It has less features/stuff I will have in M3 and that config is whole 3000 pounds less than Tesla.

Last edited:
Another plus for Tesla - just got a "your license plate is..." text from them. I'd already got that by phoning them, because tales of Tesla not telling you this in advance that I read on this forum spooked me into proactively calling to get it. But I needn't have worried. Texting it to me today would have given me plenty of time to arrange insurance. To get it from a traditional dealer I would have had to call/email the salesman who, being confident that he has a sale from me at this point, will have moved on to finding new customers and it would have taken days of chasing for me to get it.

Another plus for Tesla - just got a "your license plate is..." text from them. I'd already got that by phoning them, because tales of Tesla not telling you this in advance that I read on this forum spooked me into proactively calling to get it. But I needn't have worried. Texting it to me today would have given me plenty of time to arrange insurance. To get it from a traditional dealer I would have had to call/email the salesman who, being confident that he has a sale from me at this point, will have moved on to finding new customers and it would have taken days of chasing for me to get it.

Same.

In the western world the economy is market driven and prices are generally set by supply and demand. Tesla cannot produce enough cars to satisfy demand so they have been able to increase prices several times and still sell every car they can make, and most before they even make them. Lots of products get sold at a premium - concert tickets, new game consoles, phones or other new gadgets (even new houses), touts and middlemen buy these at list price and then sell them on at an inflated price because the goods are in short supply or there is limited production (only a limited number of folks can get into a concert venue). If you can haggle with a car dealer and get several thousand pounds off the price of a new car then there is usually either low demand or over supply, so ask yourself why is it such a bargain? It can be a genuine bargain - an extra sale at the end of a quarter can give the dealer a bigger discount or the salesman a bigger bonus - but most often it is just low demand or an inflated ticket price at the start (the seller anticipates you haggling but doesn't mind if you don't).
I have bought a few BMWs over the years, sometimes (typically on a new model) you paid list price and maybe got free mats, other times you get a few thousand off and 0% HP (old model being replaced). You have to decide what the value of that car/item is to you, and it may be different for the next person. If my local dealer called me and offered 25% off the list price of a new BMW 520d right now, some might be tempted but I wouldn't pay that, I will still wait for my Model 3 and pay the list price.

Reactions: Smidgeon and DrTR
So did Hertz and they are handing over $billions.
What does Hertz have to do with me as a UK consumer?

Or maybe that's just the price of vehicle?
If you wish to believe that and it helps you to sleep easy at night then I'm happy for you.

If I go to build same bmw 330e i had built on the configurator 2 years ago, you will find that it is more expensive than it was then.
Yes, but you'll also find that for the price increase you'll find more things that were previously optional extras are now included as standard. For example on my 2020 X3 I had to spec the Driver Assistant Plus package but if I were to go and spec a new X3 today that package is now included as standard.

To get it from a traditional dealer I would have had to call/email the salesman who, being confident that he has a sale from me at this point, will have moved on to finding new customers and it would have taken days of chasing for me to get it.
That's not been the experience I've had with various Audi and BMW dealers, they've always been prompt in getting my reg number to me - with my X3 they even sorted everything out for me so that I could get my private plate assigned to the car before delivery. With Audi they threw in free 7 day insurance so that I didn't have to get anything sorted until after I got the car. But like most things, experiences vary and that applies with Tesla as well.

Tesla cannot produce enough cars to satisfy demand so they have been able to increase prices several times and still sell every car they can make, and most before they even make them.
And with the chip shortage you don't think that applies to any other car manufacturer?

I have bought a few BMWs over the years, sometimes (typically on a new model) you paid list price and maybe got free mats,
You must be the only person in the world who has paid list price for a BMW. Even with new models you can get discounts - for example I got £5k knocked off the price of a new i4 M50. So if you combine that with the much higher GMFV for that car, the i4 specced to a similar level to the M3P was actually a few quid cheaper per month. Ultimately the 6 month + wait for delivery, the fact the i4 is a bit of a porker and sitting in it felt familiar to the X3 that I was keeping I decided to go for the Tesla.

Yes, but you'll also find that for the price increase you'll find more things that were previously optional extras are now included as standard. For example on my 2020 X3 I had to spec the Driver Assistant Plus package but if I were to go and spec a new X3 today that package is now included as standard.
Actually no. it is more expensive for exactly same spec.

When buying a Tesla, I feel it is better to look at it as buying an Ipad that is out of stock. You will not know when it is coming into stock and you will not get any money off, Most of the people that I know have said I will not live with the Tesla customer service levels but I have decided on this occasion to look at it as buying an ipad on wheels. I would say that in the future things will change and you will be buying the car online as you do with Tesla. The world is always changing and not always for the better but one thing for sure, is staff cost money and companies are looking to do things with less staff. Any way, good news is I am getting my Ipad on wheels on Wednesday next week, :) I'm just surprised they have not got to the point where the car drives to your house on its own and beeps the horn to let you know it has arrived. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: AutomaticMan
1644070005112.png

Reactions: Zilla91
Update on my pickup location:

I got intouch with the chat this morning and they said because I asked for Southampton. This is after they couldn’t offer Brent Cross and moved me to Blue water without any option to get to blue water - I was clear that this option was inconvenient to get to so I no option other than Southampton because it’s more convenient on public transport even though it’s further.

They won’t reimburse the travel to Southampton and the inconvenience of taking the day off now as opposed to few hours for Brent Cross.

When I asked why the chauffeur option was not offered - I was told it’s a trial and not available for my area when clearly a number of people here who were 10mins from Brent Cross have been offered it (I’m 2 mins from Park Royal - they can’t deliver there either).

All in all - they pointed me to the order agreement because ’I chose Southampton’ there is nothing they can do now. They also won’t be able to offer me blue water as they’d have to unmatch me from the car and wait for the next available option at Blue Water in March (when Brent Cross would be better for me by then if they get it up an running).

My assessment is that they can not handle the volume in the UK.

Actually no. it is more expensive for exactly same spec.
That’s simply not true. I’ve even given you a specific example.

If someone with Hertz buying power is unable to negotiate a discount on 100,000 units then you are not going to get a penny off a single vehicle, UK consumer or not. I would have thought that was obvious.
That’s their business decision and one completely unrelated to me as a UK consumer. Ultimately they think that’s fine for their bottom line and shareholders.

I think we should just leave it here because it’s obvious we’ll just keep going around in circles and disagreeing and that’s fine, that’s the point of debate.

Some of you will be happy to pay over the odds because you don’t like haggling, others will think it’s priced fairly and others will think how Tesla do things is uncompetitive and bad for the consumer.

Some of you will be happy to pay over the odds
I really don't want to dwell on all this forever, but what do you base this on? How do you know that we are paying over the odds for a Tesla? When I spec'd most of the competitors up like-for-like with a Tesla Model 3, using their 'post-haggling' Carwow/DTD prices none looked any cheaper than a Tesla, if at all. And that doesn't even include the Supercharger network benefit that you get with a Tesla, that Tesla have presumably had to pay for out of their profit margin. Meanwhile the profit margins of traditional manufacturers are used to pay for cappuccino machine in the lobbies of their dealer networks. I know what feels best value for the customer to me!

Let me put it really simply,
  • Let's say a Tesla sells for £50,000.
  • Tesla then decide to pay a middle-man dealer to sell that car for them instead of selling it directly.
  • In order to continue to make the same profit on that car, Tesla perhaps have to raise the price to £52,000, for the sake of argument.
  • You then go into the dealer and talk them into selling it to you plus a set of car mats for £51,000.
  • You walk away pleased with yourself that you 'saved' £1,000 through your haggling skills.
  • You still paid more for the car than it would have cost under the direct sales model.
You may dispute this and say that this isn't right, that Tesla makes more money per car than traditional manufacturers (though not sure how you'd evidence that assertion?), so should pay a dealer network out of their existing profit rather than by raising prices. But to this I will just say again... Tesla buys Superchargers out of their profit margin; traditional manufacturers pay dealers who buy cappuccino machines.

Cappuccino machines or superchargers. What will it be?

Reactions: QuanTim
That’s simply not true. I’ve even given you a specific example.

That’s their business decision and one completely unrelated to me as a UK consumer. Ultimately they think that’s fine for their bottom line and shareholders.

I think we should just leave it here because it’s obvious we’ll just keep going around in circles and disagreeing and that’s fine, that’s the point of debate.

Some of you will be happy to pay over the odds because you don’t like haggling, others will think it’s priced fairly and others will think how Tesla do things is uncompetitive and bad for the consumer.
And I am giving you my specific example.
Maybe there's difference in X3 and 3 series pricing?

And yes, this takes into account that I had to order Driving Assistant earlier as a pack and it is included now. Price difference is 2000+ (~45 then vs ~47 now). But then again, this is actually more expensive than M3 and just slightly less expensive than M3 LR

For those of you still wondering about the Ryzen chip, the link below is a video of the model 3 in Ireland 2 days ago and the chap confirms it has the Ryzen chip.:)

He mentions in that video that that car does not have the ryzen chip

Reactions: MrT3