Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm collecting my Long Range Model Y from Southampton on the 19th Feb at a set time (via a salary sacrifice / Octopus lease, ordered at the end of October and have been issued with a reg starting AJ71) Can anyone let me know what to expect eg: How long will the collection take, how may others will be there to collect on that day, will there be other time slots, to what % charge can I expect receive it at. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm collecting my Long Range Model Y from Southampton on the 19th Feb at a set time (via a salary sacrifice / Octopus lease, ordered at the end of October and have been issued with a reg starting AJ71) Can anyone let me know what to expect eg: How long will the collection take, how may others will be there to collect on that day, will there be other time slots, to what % charge can I expect receive it at. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If I were you mate I would read this forum thread from start to finish, some great info contained within.

got a text for my reg yesterday, and a text saying my finance contract will be in my account shortly. I guess this is the normal automated systems as I had my reg over the phone (and by text) a week ago, and the finance has been finalised and deposit paid for a week too - but this is me chasing for updates.

so if you’re more patient, the system will get to you - albeit less than a week before pickup it seems.

Reactions: BatteryJuice
got a text for my reg yesterday, and a text saying my finance contract will be in my account shortly. I guess this is the normal automated systems as I had my reg over the phone (and by text) a week ago, and the finance has been finalised and deposit paid for a week too - but this is me chasing for updates.

so if you’re more patient, the system will get to you - albeit less than a week before pickup it seems.
Yes, same to me earlier this week. Exactly same text. Just automated standard text

how long is a piece of string? General tesla collection can be very fast - you turn up, they throw the key cards at you and walk away. But big launch/end of quarter site collections add some fuzziness to that:

- will they faff about with the special launch and make you watch a silly intro or film or eat a hot dog?
- with so many collecting, will your slot be accurate or might you slip behind schedule?

The handover is very fast, but how quick before you accept will be down to how much checking over of the car you plan - Tesla aren’t known for the best pre-delivery checks so we apparantly become our own delivery inspectors. Only once you’re happy should you accept the car - or any issues to be flagged to the guys on site and logged as a service request before accepting. Allow at least half an hour for this if it goes smoothly, a little more if any issues can be sorted out on site (eg polishing out scuffs, cleaning interior). Although as you’re collecting from a ‘collection site’ rather than a service centre they may not do anything on-site so eveyrthing would need to be booked in.

charge don’t assume anything - have an idea the nearest few chargers not just superchargers as everyone else picking up might need a quick top up too.

how long is a piece of string? General tesla collection can be very fast - you turn up, they throw the key cards at you and walk away. But big launch/end of quarter site collections add some fuzziness to that:

- will they faff about with the special launch and make you watch a silly intro or film or eat a hot dog?
- with so many collecting, will your slot be accurate or might you slip behind schedule?

The handover is very fast, but how quick before you accept will be down to how much checking over of the car you plan - Tesla aren’t known for the best pre-delivery checks so we apparantly become our own delivery inspectors. Only once you’re happy should you accept the car - or any issues to be flagged to the guys on site and logged as a service request before accepting. Allow at least half an hour for this if it goes smoothly, a little more if any issues can be sorted out on site (eg polishing out scuffs, cleaning interior). Although as you’re collecting from a ‘collection site’ rather than a service centre they may not do anything on-site so eveyrthing would need to be booked in.

charge don’t assume anything - have an idea the nearest few chargers not just superchargers as everyone else picking up might need a quick top up too.

This is helpful. I’ll report back on Wed after my collection at Southampton at 11am (no doubt from a charger). I have looked for some options for chargers, just hope battery is not really low - will get range anxiety to the first charge point 🥲

Last edited:

charge don’t assume anything - have an idea the nearest few chargers not just superchargers as everyone else picking up might nee

Thanks for that, very useful information. Would you advise against just taking the car and then once home doing all the checking and if anything arises from that, booking it in at my local dealer (Notts) to get sorted or is it critical that you falg any issues on the day?

Thanks for that, very useful information. Would you advise against just taking the car and then once home doing all the checking and if anything arises from that, booking it in at my local dealer (Notts) to get sorted or is it critical that you falg any issues on the day?

They’re normally pretty good after the fact if you raise things quickly, but dents etc you want to flag up before you leave in case of any issues. I will probably not do the big checklist but will do a decent scan for

- inconsistent panel gaps
- bodywork damage (dents etc - get at a shallow angle to help for this - I had one on my boot on my 2021 SR+ that was pretty small but did require a new boot lid)
- paintwork generally - scuffs/swirls, bring some wet wipe if the weather is bad or use your finger to see if they’re just smears
- interior check all seats and headlining (this may be personal for me as I had to have headlining replaced as it was very grubby).
- boot/frunk check quality all cables and kit (should be two cables, type 2 same as you’d plug in at home but for eg Tesco; and 13 pin plug one), first aid kit
- quick fiddle with the electrics - set my seat/mirrors/check all windows close.

thats a good 15 minutes if the car is clean, maybe a little longer. I think quality has improved, but I’d spend some time at least checking out the basics.

They’re normally pretty good after the fact if you raise things quickly, but dents etc you want to flag up before you leave in case of any issues. I will probably not do the big checklist but will do a decent scan for

- inconsistent panel gaps
- bodywork damage (dents etc - get at a shallow angle to help for this - I had one on my boot on my 2021 SR+ that was pretty small but did require a new boot lid)
- paintwork generally - scuffs/swirls, bring some wet wipe if the weather is bad or use your finger to see if they’re just smears
- interior check all seats and headlining (this may be personal for me as I had to have headlining replaced as it was very grubby).
- boot/frunk check quality all cables and kit (should be two cables, type 2 same as you’d plug in at home but for eg Tesco; and 13 pin plug one), first aid kit
- quick fiddle with the electrics - set my seat/mirrors/check all windows close.

thats a good 15 minutes if the car is clean, maybe a little longer. I think quality has improved, but I’d spend some time at least checking out the basics.
That's great advise and I'll make sure to do those checks as a priority. Thanks for taking the time to provide the information. It's appreciated. 👍

Took about an hour for me during the lockdown in December 2020. From arrival at the site they had my car out front to start looking at in around 20 minutes, it was then another 40 minutes for the paperwork and their tasks to be completed (during which your car will reboot as they link it to your account, so don't be surprised).

Overall I think I probably had about 30 minutes of time alone with the car during the whole process, which is sufficient to check panel gaps, paint finish, all the doors and windows work as well as the bonnet and boot opening OK, that kind of thing. Don't forget to make sure you have both the Type-2 and UMC charge cables with the car.

I didn't have any problems, but there was someone kicking about to help you check and offering to book a service appointment if any problems were found. So will I was a little annoyed that they don't do a PDI before you arrive, it was good that someone was there saying "Have you checked this and that?".

Took about an hour for me during the lockdown in December 2020. From arrival at the site they had my car out front to start looking at in around 20 minutes, it was then another 40 minutes for the paperwork and their tasks to be completed (during which your car will reboot as they link it to your account, so don't be surprised).

Overall I think I probably had about 30 minutes of time alone with the car during the whole process, which is sufficient to check panel gaps, paint finish, all the doors and windows work as well as the bonnet and boot opening OK, that kind of thing. Don't forget to make sure you have both the Type-2 and UMC charge cables with the car.

I didn't have any problems, but there was someone kicking about to help you check and offering to book a service appointment if any problems were found. So will I was a little annoyed that they don't do a PDI before you arrive, it was good that someone was there saying "Have you checked this and that?".
It’s very interesting to hear about your experience so thanks for sharing.