Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to turn the captions on just to double check :p

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 15.08.49.png

Tesla are like Apple, the Price,
I really don't want to dwell on all this forever, but what do you base this on? How do you know that we are paying over the odds for a Tesla? When I spec'd most of the competitors up like-for-like with a Tesla Model 3, using their 'post-haggling' Carwow/DTD prices none looked any cheaper than a Tesla, if at all. And that doesn't even include the Supercharger network benefit that you get with a Tesla, that Tesla have presumably had to pay for out of their profit margin. Meanwhile the profit margins of traditional manufacturers are used to pay for cappuccino machine in the lobbies of their dealer networks. I know what feels best value for the customer to me!

Let me put it really simply,
  • Let's say a Tesla sells for £50,000.
  • Tesla then decide to pay a middle-man dealer to sell that car for them instead of selling it directly.
  • In order to continue to make the same profit on that car, Tesla perhaps have to raise the price to £52,000, for the sake of argument.
  • You then go into the dealer and talk them into selling it to you plus a set of car mats for £51,000.
  • You walk away pleased with yourself that you 'saved' £1,000 through your haggling skills.
  • You still paid more for the car than it would have cost under the direct sales model.
You may dispute this and say that this isn't right, that Tesla makes more money per car than traditional manufacturers (though not sure how you'd evidence that assertion?), so should pay a dealer network out of their existing profit rather than by raising prices. But to this I will just say again... Tesla buys Superchargers out of their profit margin; traditional manufacturers pay dealers who buy cappuccino machines.

Cappuccino machines or superchargers. What will it be?
Tesla are like Apple, the Price, is the Price is the Price. It may not be the best, it may break, but you have a choice.
Tesla like Apple have the eco system sorted, you are not just buying a Car, you are buying an experience, peace of mind with Chargers, free updates that actually bring you something you want....

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I ordered a M3P in November. Requested delay for a March delivery. I was supposed to be on hold until February 15th but my account has now updated with a lending agreement including an assigned VIN. The VIN states the model year is ‘M’ which means 2021. I haven’t received a text or anything to arrange delivery. Is this lending agreement valid or possibly old (it wasn’t there until now). Seems strange to be assigned a 2021 model 2 months into 2022??

EDIT: Looks like the agreement was signed by Tesla in December 2021… guess it’s the old/invalid agreement…?

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I ordered a M3P in November. Requested delay for a March delivery. I was supposed to be on hold until February 15th but my account has now updated with a lending agreement including an assigned VIN. The VIN states the model year is ‘M’ which means 2021. I haven’t received a text or anything to arrange delivery. Is this lending agreement valid or possibly old (it wasn’t there until now). Seems strange to be assigned a 2021 model 2 months into 2022??

EDIT: Looks like the agreement was signed by Tesla in December 2021… guess it’s the old/invalid agreement…?
But it could have been made on 31 December 2021 with the same components as one made 1 January 2022. Tesla don’t do model years just evolving change.

This always baffles me when I see people saying this… why is it a good thing? I’ve always managed to secure good discounts on every new car I’ve purchased except for the Tesla which irks me because rule number 1 when it comes to buying cars is you never pay list price
The “Dealer Tax” (mark ups) situation at other OEMs is getting so bad that they are having to publicly warn their own customers about how their dealers might misbehave. So don’t live under the illusion that the dealership model allowed you to get a cheaper car in the past (That is part of the $3.6bn of excess payments people paid on cars)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

Newbie here 🙂

Just booked a Model 3 SR+ (white with aero tyres) at the Reading showroom. I was initially told by the sales staff that delivery could be as soon as march but when I was doing the actual booking it showed May. Not too concerned about delivery date but wouldn’t mind having my hands on it as soon as possible. The sales staff did confirm that it would be the new lfp batteries and I would get car mats + the heated steering and seats as a standard.

It’s a salary sacrifice lease car through my employer and it seemed too juicy a deal for me to miss. I have taken a gamble here as I have a 160 mile commute (work 3 days a week and I expect this commute for at least next 6-8 months), but the good part is I have free charging at work and a couple of supercharger locations less that 2-3 miles away from home. No home charging (renting for now) but not too concerned about it, as I have a off road drive where I could use the granny charger in case of an emergency.

One thing I really messed up was the referral. I did the booking at the showroom and I was hoping the form will ask for a referral code but it didn’t. I was thinking it would be in a subsequent page but it just said i have been booked. I have reached out the the uk sales customer care email to get the referral code in,so let’s see how that goes!

I’m really excited as it’s my first EV!

Hey all,

Newbie here 🙂

Just booked a Model 3 SR+ (white with aero tyres) at the Reading showroom. I was initially told by the sales staff that delivery could be as soon as march but when I was doing the actual booking it showed May. Not too concerned about delivery date but wouldn’t mind having my hands on it as soon as possible. The sales staff did confirm that it would be the new lfp batteries and I would get car mats + the heated steering and seats as a standard.

It’s a salary sacrifice lease car through my employer and it seemed too juicy a deal for me to miss. I have taken a gamble here as I have a 160 mile commute (work 3 days a week and I expect this commute for at least next 6-8 months), but the good part is I have free charging at work and a couple of supercharger locations less that 2-3 miles away from home. No home charging (renting for now) but not too concerned about it, as I have a off road drive where I could use the granny charger in case of an emergency.

One thing I really messed up was the referral. I did the booking at the showroom and I was hoping the form will ask for a referral code but it didn’t. I was thinking it would be in a subsequent page but it just said i have been booked. I have reached out the the uk sales customer care email to get the referral code in,so let’s see how that goes!

May is the base spec. If you’re allowed to change it by the company (and with salary sacrifice it won’t cost much more) then changing either the wheels or colour will get you a March delivery.

160 each way? surely not. If round trip then you should be ok if you can top up at work

But it could have been made on 31 December 2021 with the same components as one made 1 January 2022. Tesla don’t do model years just evolving change.
Yeah I understand that, just thought it was odd. My suspicion was proven right though. I noticed the agreement said my first payment will commence on January 3rd, so obviously the agreement/VIN was written when I was initially assigned a car. Hoping I get a new VIN. Can’t imagine they’ve kept the same car for 3 months in storage.

May is the base spec. If you’re allowed to change it by the company (and with salary sacrifice it won’t cost much more) then changing either the wheels or colour will get you a March delivery.

160 each way? surely not. If round trip then you should be ok if you can top up at work
It’s 160 round trip and I expect to do this only for a few months this year ( mostly over summer and autumn which I understand is a good time from range perspective). I have a backup ice car as well which I may be using a bit in case I don’t feel comfortable with the range. I will try to have a look at changing the colour / wheels and see how it goes. 👍

Hey all,

Newbie here 🙂

Congratulations on the order, now the hard bit, waiting….

As for the referral code, the scheme was suspended some time ago, so no free supercharger miles unfortunately. It couldn’t ever be done retrospectively either. You’d have had to cancel your order and start again.

One could argue, if you pay in full, then Tesla could delay registration for 2-3 weeks.... it really comes down to the 'end of quarter' sales teams are bonused on this.....

Last edited:
Cappuccino machines or superchargers. What will it be?

What are you talking about? Cappuccino machines or superchargers? My local service centre (Newcastle) not only has a coffee machine that makes cappuccinos, they also have a couple of shiny, expensive iMacs in there which, last time I checked, none of the BMW or Audi dealerships I've ever been to have.

As for the superchargers... yeah great, the thing is, how many times will the average punter make use of the supercharger network? I do think people over-egg it. And any way they'll be open to everyone soon enough.

This really is the final time I'm delving into this. Let us just agree to disagree and move on.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
I've been speaking with Telsa over the past week or so to sort out a pickup/chauffeur collection, as I'm 75 miles from Bluewater (closest collection point and was given no choices on collection location either way). It's either a 75 minute drive or 4 hours on the train. They have offered a delivery (but maybe a few days later). Any tips on how to get a chauffeur collection?
I ordered through Cambridge but to be honest, they have been ruddy useless, as they simply don't respond to emails.

Yeah I understand that, just thought it was odd. My suspicion was proven right though. I noticed the agreement said my first payment will commence on January 3rd, so obviously the agreement/VIN was written when I was initially assigned a car. Hoping I get a new VIN. Can’t imagine they’ve kept the same car for 3 months in storage.
Same thing happend to me when I postponed my original December collection, the original VIN stayed on the agreement in my account even after I was assigne a new one, in the end I had to contact Tesla finance for them to update the VIN