Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sequencing question - can I just slap an order in this weekend? I have asked tesla for a trade-in value for my 2020 SR+ which I assume won’t come until next week, but can it be applied to an existing order, or do I need to wait for the trade-in and then use it to start an order?
My understanding is that it comes at the end of the process when you are asked to create your account getting closer to delivery (could be wrong as I am still new in Tesla town)

Just put my deposit down for a M3 LR, through a third party (long story but I get the car tax free. I don’t think the order has been placed with Tesla yet; do I need to worry about missing the Feb/Mar delivery if they don’t get their finger out? I hear the shipment from China is imminent. Not sure when my last safe date could be.

Is it me or would 80% of the questions posted on here already be answered if folks could be bothered to read though the previous responses. It’s staring to get very repetitive and boring reading the same thing over and over again.

Just put my deposit down for a M3 LR, through a third party (long story but I get the car tax free. I don’t think the order has been placed with Tesla yet; do I need to worry about missing the Feb/Mar delivery if they don’t get their finger out? I hear the shipment from China is imminent. Not sure when my last safe date could be.
I doubt you would get a Feb date now for a new order but March should still be ok for a few more weeks. There will be multiple shipments this quarter, missing the first one isn’t an issue.

My mind in relation to the AMD is the possible improvements it could bring to the Sat Nav and more importantly improvements in the future.

I remember reading somewhere that there was talk about the possibility of introducing a 360 car camera.

Combining info from several cameras and knitting them together. Such data crunching may benefit or require more processing power.

But I accept the argument that waiting is an endless game (though not that concerned about the vented seats or heated wipers).
I actually think that people underestimate Atom chip and overestimate how much computing power car systems need...

Atom is laptop grade cpu. While AMD ryzen is very capable and more powerful, atom is not that bad for the use

I took a train today which makes me more motivated to get the car quickly, and less focused on the processor. The train experience didn't compare well to my Tesla test drive. While the autopilot feature was impressive (I didn't have to intervene to control the train once over the whole journey!), it had no heated seats, the 0-60 didn't feel impressive, and someone I didn't know jumped in and sat on the passenger seat next to me. Clear win for the Tesla regardless of processor! ;)

Am i the only one just looking forward to getting the car, no matter what version it is?
No you're not. I drove a 2020 M3 hire car last year and did I notice anything wrong with the performance of the UI. No I didnt... compared to other cars (eg VW ID's) the UI was supercharged. I cant wait to get my MY next month.

If it turns out not having an AMD processor ruins my life... I'll sell it and probably make a small profit.

No you're not. I drove a 2020 M3 hire car last year and did I notice anything wrong with the performance of the UI. No I didnt... compared to other cars (eg VW ID's) the UI was supercharged. I cant wait to get my MY next month.

If it turns out not having an AMD processor ruins my life... I'll sell it and probably make a small profit.

This is what I’m thinking now… if resale values of Teslas stay high I could always trade it for one with the Ryzen processor in a year or two.

Reactions: yessuz
Waiting is an endless game, and I genuinely figured until now, Osborne never really affected me.

BUT what I can say for myself is that the CPU is an extensive upgrade. It's not a quality of life thing, it genuinely improves upon and for the short term future proofs any potential OTA updates that may need that extra uumph, plus it makes everything else so much more snappy and fluid. This is compounded by the reports that Tesla will not be retrofitting, so it's either now or a new car in the future.

The way I see it, the range is enough with the Long Range in the UK, the farthest I ever travel is family up near Manchester. That's some 260 / 270 odd miles from here on a clean run. It's cutting fine with a RWD 3, but works brilliantly for a 3LR, can easily make it in one shot if needed. Interestingly I'm not fussed about improved battery packs or ventilated seats. THIS update, the enhanced CPU delivers extra speed and performance to the brain of the car, which is a huge tug. The rear laminate should help improve road noise, which has been a focal point of gripe. Cannot fault Tesla for nipping that in the bud. The Li-ion battery, I'd not notice the difference, but if it's there it's there. So for me this latest M3/Y update doesn't really register as an Osborne influence, it's just a case of getting a 2022 updated car in 2022, and that just includes simply the updates they made for 2022, they just happen to be extremely desirable if you're in the tech industry and identify with the advantages of it. It just makes the 2021 version less desirable when you know the 2022 update is already rolling off the production lines in eye watering quantity and likely already enroute. You're not waiting for something that may or may not appear in the next 6 - 12 - 18 months.

I agree that regardless.. the car is regarded to be 3-4 years ahead of the market in any respect. If the new updates don't bother you, and you just need to get your hands on a car, then just get it. I just parked next to a 2019 / 2020 model 3 with the chrome trim, and I still couldn't help a little skipping heart as I waved at the sentry wiping the drool off my chin... ;)

Minor updates vs Release updates:
TESLA MY may see many more minor updates within the 2022 release version.
I think that minor updates, are part of the development life cycle of the car within a specific release, using an agile development cycle.

TESLA Marketing:
Tesla does not market minor updates on its website, so minor updates are not key selling points for a TESLA.
Main releases variations tend instead to gain some visibility on the TESLA website. For example the M3 update, when both range was improved and colour for handles and external trim was changed to black.

Supply chain war:
With the supply chain issues affecting all car vendors, these minor changes could be driven by a necessity for TESLA to still assemble the cars they want to sell, to achieve their target, instead of slowing down production.

The power of big numbers:
Model Y as well as Model 3 are the cars that TESLA sells the most.
With big targets of vehicles delivered per year, TESLA can source components easier and cheaper and also trying to improve their cars. Double glass panes for 600,000 vehicles will have a cost per item lower than a single glass for 100,000 cars. With big number there are big
deals.

Few personal observations:

TESLA is not a conventional car company such as Mercedes or Volkswagen. It is an agile car company, founded by a tech person that helped creating PayPal.

I really hope the UK gets all MY with all new updates we know and we want. If not I would not blame TESLA, that is how they make cars.

PS: I am not a TESLA owner yet, hopefully shortly.

Tee hee, I know Osborne. BUT

2022 updates to date are significant, especially when you consider the car is sheer amazing as is already.

The CPU is a significant upgrade. Laminated rear windows should have been a thing anyway, and heated wipers etc (if it come with or without is just a thing to have). The 15v Li-ion battery is a significant reliability modification, I do wonder if Mr Miserable would have had the experience with the whole auxiliary battery overhaul.

Seat vents, minor tweak to range etc etc etc.. to me aren't hugely significant. What's rolling out of Shanghai right now is significant enough to wait for to me, and I have already told Tesla that when they match me to a 2022 updated spec I'll sign hand over and take immediately. I'm working with them on that already, and currently have my order on hold until Feb 15.

1641814692779.png

The ventilated seats are tempting prospect, but the friend of mine with super bad flatulence lives a long way away and seldom see him these days! Just have to open the window instead of having seat ventilation! :D 😝