Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May so a slight delay. Still not holding out for much hope for early June as really the boat needs to have left or leave any day to stand a chance of this! My Mercedes goes back the last week of May so I am hoping it wont be too long!!
Ah ok not too bad then

In comparison to some car manufacturers Tesla are doing a great job. I have a friend who ordered one of the electric Porsches and has been waiting over 12 months… with no delivery in sight!

The speculation is really exciting...
...my take on it is that anyone with a May/June date is in essence being told that their car will come with the next shipment.
Given what I have read, cars are produced based on some algorithm and once production is complete, they will load these cars onto the ro-ro. With the cars loaded, they will reconcile orders vs. produced cars based on some priority system (I assume first come first serve). This is when VIN allocation happens and hence the order is locked in.
Therefore, Tesla have e.g. 8,000 orders and intend to ship lets say 6,000 cars in the next boat. The first 6K orders would be given the "next boat date" and the rest would move to a subsequent shipment. Once the cars are loaded and reconciliation takes place, that's when dates are confirmed and any movement between "boat dates" are likely to happen. The "boat date" is the other variable as once loaded, there is a dependency on the duration of the journey as well as the final destination location. The last 2 points are easy to estimate but can also be affected by unforeseen circumstances.

My conclusion, is that unless reconciliation happens, and the VIN is provided, any dates given whether that is a leasing company or a Tesla rep is subject to change.

Happy to be corrected on the above but this is what I have understood based on reading through the posts.

Update: It did not go well. I've had to cancel it and go back to my original order. I was told by someone at Tesla last week that I could still do a Tesla Loan, but that as it turns out is incorrect. For the avoidance of doubt you cannot pick the "Tesla Loan" option on an inventory order I'm afraid.

That car I've cancelled will eventually pop-up on the inventory page if anyone wants to keep an eye out (and isn't determined to pay via tesla loan). ;)

Back to waiting for November delivery for me now. (And a 2-3 week wait for the extra £200 deposit I paid to be returned!).
sounds messy!

Quick question, I've got same spec on order from March 9th. Was end of May/June now it's gone back to February 23, is yours saying November?

thanks

A bit confused what is happening with my order. Originally ordered my Model Y LR on 26/4. Went blue, white interior, 20 inch wheels. Tesla Loan with no part ex.

Date was originally September, then it moved to June 18-30. Then the next day back to September and now over last few days has moved back to June 18-30. Not sure whether to get my hopes up or keep expecting it to turn up at some point in September. June seems too soon given some of the lead times here.

...my take on it is that anyone with a May/June date is in essence being told that their car will come with the next shipment.
Given what I have read, cars are produced based on some algorithm and once production is complete, they will load these cars onto the ro-ro. With the cars loaded, they will reconcile orders vs. produced cars based on some priority system (I assume first come first serve). This is when VIN allocation happens and hence the order is locked in.
Therefore, Tesla have e.g. 8,000 orders and intend to ship lets say 6,000 cars in the next boat. The first 6K orders would be given the "next boat date" and the rest would move to a subsequent shipment. Once the cars are loaded and reconciliation takes place, that's when dates are confirmed and any movement between "boat dates" are likely to happen. The "boat date" is the other variable as once loaded, there is a dependency on the duration of the journey as well as the final destination location. The last 2 points are easy to estimate but can also be affected by unforeseen circumstances.

My conclusion, is that unless reconciliation happens, and the VIN is provided, any dates given whether that is a leasing company or a Tesla rep is subject to change.

Happy to be corrected on the above but this is what I have understood based on reading through the posts.
Thats a good and sensible summary and I agree with it all.

The other thing to say is that when VINS are assigned (in the background ...often prior to notification to the customer) Tesla await confirmation from client that they still want to proceed. It is often the case that a customer who placed an order, by simply paying 100, does not wish to proceed (changed their mind, financing issues, have a car to sell) and it is these vehicles that then get introduced into the mix and become available for reallocation. That gives rise to cars having to be reallocated and these can feature in inventory or be allocated to other customers. Thats where I believe the process can be more opaque and where the Tesla delivery team can/do manually assign....often to those who have been in dialogue with them (and been nice to them). As a quarter end approaches Tesla will move heaven and earth to sell ALL cars available and thats why you see cases of people getting offered a car but having to collect within 24/48 hours. It is not as many think Tesla being insensitive it is because any cars that have not been "DELIVERED" can not be regarded as sales for the quarter end and quarter ends are so important for reporting to the stock market and for those Tesla staff on target sales for their remuneration. Elon got $23billion bonus for reaching target last quarter. I say this to be helpful in explaining the importance of quarter end

Bottom line is that until a VIN is allocated, matters are uncertain but as soon as a vin is allocated (normally when cars are on ships) it is almost certain you will get your car.

sounds messy!

Quick question, I've got same spec on order from March 9th. Was end of May/June now it's gone back to February 23, is yours saying November?

thanks
The details of what I ordered are in my signature. If yours was exactly the same as my order and it says Feb 23 I'd be annoyed. When I ordered on the website it said November 2022. Was your order exactly the same as mine?

The details of what I ordered are in my signature. If yours was exactly the same as my order and it says Feb 23 I'd be annoyed. When I ordered on the website it said November 2022. Was your order exactly the same as mine?
yes absolutely the same, but order a month prior!

It did move forward to June, but then went to Feb 23 as mentioned. Shame as I've gone through my trade in and that lasts 60 days!

Indeed a good summary.
I understand the case for ppl getting a date moved forward, but not unexpectedly pushed back though?
I am part of the few who had a June date since ordering, but just got pushed back to September this week.
The thing is, as far as we are aware, no cars have been loaded onto a ship yet.
So I am not overly optimistic, as it would mean they don’t plan on assigning me a vin at all, or that matching specs car will not make it to the factory gate by the time the boat departs… not sure?
I would understand an unexpected assignment in case a customer before me cancels his order, but not the other way around

Indeed a good summary.
I understand the case for ppl getting a date moved forward, but not unexpectedly pushed back though?
I am part of the few who had a June date since ordering, but just got pushed back to September this week.
So I am not overly optimistic, as it would mean they don’t plan on assigning me a vin at all, or that matching specs car will not make it to the factory gate by the time the boat departs… not sure?
I would understand an unexpected assignment in case a customer before me cancels his order, but not the other way around
Isn’t is as simple as: they planned to make a car and assigned an EDD based on that plan. Then shortages/lockdown hits (car will now no longer be made as soon), so EDD is updated?

Reactions: JOL1
Indeed a good summary.
It may well be related to reduction in production due to lockdown, ie originally estimated to produce 6K cars but now only producing 4k

Reactions: JOL1 and Toblerone
A bit confused what is happening with my order. Originally ordered my Model Y LR on 26/4. Went blue, white interior, 20 inch wheels. Tesla Loan with no part ex.

Date was originally September, then it moved to June 18-30. Then the next day back to September and now over last few days has moved back to June 18-30. Not sure whether to get my hopes up or keep expecting it to turn up at some point in September. June seems too soon given some of the lead times here.
I ordered Feb M3LR grey Aeros black interior. My dates have been March April May June and for the last two weeks no EDD…..

Indeed a good summary.
Whats difficult to understand .. production was impacted by shutdown of Shanghai factory for approx 1 month. that plant produced 2000 cars a day and of course this is going to impact delivery dates , which would need to be adjusted outward....a no brainer.. If anyone expects a VIN assignment before car is produced and about to be shipped,.they will be disappointed..thats not how Tesla operate and given recent difficulties it is unlikely to change. I can fully understand everyones frustration but the above reflects the reality and its best to deal with the situation as it is..

Reactions: Toblerone
But based on that would it make sense for them to send a ship 1/3 empty?
Multiple ships are involved with delivery to the UK so its will most likely not mean a ship carrying only a 1/3 capacity...just less ships overall. To be clear Tesla lost approx 50,000 units of production because of Shanghai closure as reported by Reuters

"The 22-day shutdown of Tesla's Shanghai factory was its longest since it began production in late 2019, and caused an output loss of more than 50,000 vehicles, according to calculations based on Tesla's output plans seen by Reuters."

If this is your first Tesla order then I understand your frustration and excitement. Some of us on here have made orders in the past and can explain how the system works. My last order was a Model 3 performance which I ordered early December expecting my car delivery in March as my EDD stated. Cut a long story short I eventually got the car in June.

My advice would be ignore EDD as they are never accurate.

Watch the posts from MR M. Who will confirm with extreme accuracy on when a Tesla ship will leave for the Uk.

If you haven’t received a text confirming you have been matched with a car and a VIN within the first 7-12 days of the ships journey then the chances are your order won’t be on that ship.

Tesla support team have very limited knowledge untill VINs start to get allocated.

There is no truth in speculation about cash customers first - lease and part ex to the back of the list.

Hope this helps the newbies, as too many people are stressing about EDD time spans.

Fingers crossed we will hear within the next week or 2 at least one ship is on its way.

Whats difficult to understand .. production was impacted by shutdown of Shanghai factory for approx 1 month. that plant produced 2000 cars a day and of course this is going to impact delivery dates , which would need to be adjusted outward....a no brainer.. If anyone expects a VIN assignment before car is produced and about to be shipped,.they will be disappointed..thats not how Tesla operate and given recent difficulties it is unlikely to change. I can fully understand everyones frustration but the above reflects the reality and its best to deal with the situation as it is..
Thanks. You’re absolutely right and that’s helpful.

I guess it’s the rollercoaster that I’m not used to.
Reading about the Shanghai lockdown I would have expected the date to slip but it held firm during the whole of April
Then last week, so still in the middle of the lockdown, I get the text most of us had, which would suggest that something was being done behind the scenes Unless you think this is an automated one sent to all clients at, I don’t know, around D-45 from delivery?

D82D0FE4-5982-4A32-8FD5-79A176A7C129.jpeg

So what I don’t get is the text confirmation last week, followed by the 3 month delay suddenly appearing on the account not even a week after.
If at least they didn’t sent the text, would have been less of a rollercoaster.
I guess what I am trying to understand is what happened in the last 7 days to explain this on their end…. But nobody will probably ever know and I’m back on waiting until I get a definitive text to tell me that it has finally arrived, hopefully before 2023…

Thanks. You’re absolutely right and that’s helpful.

I guess it’s the rollercoaster that I’m not used to.
Reading about the Shanghai lockdown I would have expected the date to slip but it held firm during the whole of April
Then last week, so still in the middle of the lockdown, I get the text most of us had, which would suggest that something was being done behind the scenes Unless you think this is an automated one sent to all clients at, I don’t know, around D-45 from delivery?

View attachment 800888

So what I don’t get is the text confirmation last week, followed by the 3 month delay suddenly appearing on the account not even a week after.
If at least they didn’t sent the text, would have been less of a rollercoaster.
I guess what I am trying to understand is what happened in the last 7 days to explain this on their end…. But nobody will probably ever know and I’m back on waiting until I get a definitive text to tell me that it has finally arrived, hopefully before 2023…
Exactly the same happened to me. I reckon they probably overallocate to the more optimistic EDDs based on the expectation that X% of people will say they aren't ready (probably based on their own stats). This makes sense as it's better to prepare people to be ready for an early delivery than pull EDDs forward in the hope that they might be? Then, in cases where fewer people say they aren't ready than they'd estimated, those with later order dates get bumped back?

In other words, whilst it seems random to us, it's almost certainly based on some sort of optimization algorithm on their side...designed to get cars sold as quickly as they can.

Reactions: WllXM and JOL1