Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found a set of mudflaps and screws in the boot. Should I have a go or just leave them off? Not seen any mudflap conversations.....
Given that the PPF on the rear wheel arches are to protect against stone chips and front mudguards will help reduce stones kicked up from the form wheels, my personal opinion is that they are better on than off. I don’t mind the look of them on and they were already fitted when I picked up VaDA.

Great!

The site I was looking at wanted to know the required width dimensio.

Let's hope that the need for new plates can be obviated by the availability of stickers compatible with our green strip.
I’m putting new (cherished) plates on and ordered a set from ukregplates.co.uk with both green strip and UK flashing like these:

EAB765C6-22CF-4A8A-8F82-C679602B0070.jpeg

Given that the PPF on the rear wheel arches are to protect against stone chips and front mudguards will help reduce stones kicked up from the form wheels, my personal opinion is that they are better on than off. I don’t mind the look of them on and they were already fitted when I picked up VaDA.
I was told they would be there in the boot but when I looked later they were not. Have heard that rear mudflats are worth having because they further reduce chips damage.

However, some folk prefer after market versions; they found the Tesla version a bit low hanging for speed bumpy roads and also not very attractive.

Who knew...some mudflats are more attractive than others ...check out YouTube for the "truth". Caution however, Tesla probably watch YouTube and has already changed the design. Apparently, they make many decisions based on Youtube and particularly, Twitter comments (not EDDs though)

Youtube is the Oracle for information on just about anything Tesla.

Decided to give it a quick wash, polish and get some tyre shine on it.

On closer inspection, not a swirl, chip or anything wrong with it at all and the paint work. Tiny bit of bubbling under the back ppf but that's being fussy.

The weird thing is even though the 20" wheels are big they still look too small for the arches, never thought I would say that for wheels that size 🤣

Goes in for new car detail and full front PPF next Thursday, just wanted to get a protective layer onto protect against bird poo and other bits .

Attachments

• 20220701_133120.jpg
    20220701_133120.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 39
I am still wondering about the existence of the bonnet PPF. Is yours clearly visible:rolleyes: I mean at its edges have you simply taken someones word for it?

I am still wondering about the existence of the bonnet PPF. Is yours clearly visible:rolleyes: I mean at its edges have you simply taken someones word for it?
I haven't seen any proof of existence on mine, checked the edges and couldn't find where the edge of the film is so suspect it's not there.

Our detailer we use is pretty honest so I wk get him to confirm , if it's there it's absolutely perfect, no hint of edges of bubbles

Decided to give it a quick wash, polish and get some tyre shine on it.

On closer inspection, not a swirl, chip or anything wrong with it at all and the paint work. Tiny bit of bubbling under the back ppf but that's being fussy.

The weird thing is even though the 20" wheels are big they still look too small for the arches, never thought I would say that for wheels that size 🤣

Goes in for new car detail and full front PPF next Thursday, just wanted to get a protective layer onto protect against bird poo and other bits .
The overall rolling radius is the same for 19 and 20s. The difference is made up with a lower profile tyre on the 20s or the converse on the 19s.

So, one size space saver spare works for both sizes.

In Other News: I have just looked at the app; Lizzie's interior temperature is up to 40c and she has not moved since Wednesday evening. So, they clearly have not started work yet. ...which is fine, they took her in early as a convenience for me.

As I said before, Dog Mode is a boon if you take any pets in the car. It also means that windows do not have to be left open for them. Actually the windows can't be left open if the car is locked....or maybe that is a setting..."Close windows on locked.

I only leave her (Lottie that is ) alone for a few minutes on cold days when she comes to BP/M&S with me. Her favourite trip is to Pets at Home because she joins me and runs off to attempt shop lifting - thankfully, without success.

Last edited:
At the risk of someone telling me my detailer is an idiot (or scamming me) but when we looked together yesterday he didn't think it's PPF. He said it may be impregnated with an extra clear coat but no sign of a PPF layer per se. He was impressed with the finish on the front bumper.

At the risk of someone telling me my detailer is an idiot (or scamming me) but when we looked together yesterday he didn't think it's PPF. He said it may be impregnated with an extra clear coat but no sign of a PPF layer per se. He was impressed with the finish on the front bumper.
That gives me solace...except that clear coat is sprayed like paint but (clearly :rolleyes:) without pigment, so they say.....

Last edited:
I’m not entirely sure what I am looking for but I have looked closely for film similar to that on the rear arches and no sign at all. Pretty sure its just the black painted bumper with no covering.
It would not be as thick or noticeable as the Tesla applied rear protector. It's visibility will not worry me, especially when I see what would have been stone chips.

Now what about these do it yourself rear mudflats which Ido not have ...should I be bovered! Yes but...no but!

Agreed with your detailer, there is no sign of where the edges of the film are, there is no way they could have fitted it without some sign of the edge, checked all around the front bumper to the arches and couldn't see or feel and lip from the film edge. No difference in feel either to the rest of the paintwork.

Reactions: KennethS
It would not be as thick or noticeable as the Tesla applied rear protector. It's visibility will not worry me, especially when I see what would have been stone chips.

Now what about these do it yourself rear mudflats which Ido not have ...should I be bovered! Yes but...no but!
May be different for the MY but found my M3 large versions in the boot. Needless to saymine ended up in a drawer in the garage.

I had read reports of them clipping when over speed bumps, possibly ripping off?

Anyhow, IMO they’re ugly so won’t be fitted.

As regards the PPF I bought Tesla’s version for my M3. Tried for an hour to fit then gave up as they fell off. Looked crap too (my fault) and don’t see the point. Never had PPF before and stone chips are a way of life. So is bird poo. Sh!t happens.

• Funny
Reactions: Wattsisname
Agreed with your detailer, there is no sign of where the edges of the film are, there is no way they could have fitted it without some sign of the edge, checked all around the front bumper to the arches and couldn't see or feel and lip from the film edge. No difference in feel either to the rest of the paintwork.
And yet and yet, a senior Tesla employee of seven years standing, ran his finger nail and cast his eye and pronounced it PPFd. I have to go with my detailer, (he impressed me as a skilled artisan) , because ...well, you do don't you...after all, he is going to be alone with Lizzie, if she is not too delicate after baking in the Surrey sunshine :).

Reactions: wanderingstep
May be different for the MY but found my M3 large versions in the boot. Needless to saymine ended up in a drawer in the garage.

I had read reports of them clipping when over speed bumps, possibly ripping off?

Anyhow, IMO they’re ugly so won’t be fitted.

As regards the PPF I bought Tesla’s version for my M3. Tried for an hour to fit then gave up as they fell off. Looked crap too (my fault) and don’t see the point. Never had PPF before and stone chips are a way of life. So is bird poo. Sh!t happens.
Here a thing, you being an experienced Tesla Hand...Lizzie has been parked since Wednesday evening. During yesterday and to day, her cabin has reached 40C. The estimated range during this time has dropped by four miles. Would this be due to automatic battery cooling........or
.......has she sprung a fuel leak🤣😂