Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I`m gobsmacked! LV was the only company who flatly refused to insure my MY LR for one reason only, because it "doesn`t have a subscription-paid TRACKER fitted" and that was quoted just a few hours ago, today! :mad:
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 18.06.13.png

Just went through the process and got this at the end.
@HowieR did you answer yes, it has a tracker fitted? I wasn't sure and googled, with the consensus being that whatever is inbuilt isn't enough to consider it a fully-fledged tracker.

Thanks

Reactions: EV-Head
View attachment 845032
@HowieR did you answer yes, it has a tracker fitted? I wasn't sure and googled, with the consensus being that whatever is inbuilt isn't enough to consider it a fully-fledged tracker.

Thanks
I would probably answer yes to that as you can always see where the car is via the app.

Interesting to see if you stay with the 90% charge on a Model Y the range is lower that a Model 3 RWD and then if you charge to full its only 30 miles extra. I'm thinking of changing to a Model Y and it dawned on me not gaining much range for the extra cost.

Interesting, when did you order and what spe

It seems their selling the RWD cars so cheaply their not making any profit and trying to force the hand and encourage the orders to cancel.
Idle speculation...everyone can have an opinion but it doesn't mean its fact. Try being positive for a change...you might feel better!

View attachment 845032

Thanks
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was also unsure whether I needed one or not, so I emailed LV and got this response:

'We don't recommend what make of tracker is fitted, however we need to let you know that a tracking device is an electronic device, which is fitted to the car and emits a signal (to either your mobile phone or another device, or to a monitoring service that you maintain a subscription for) that enables the car to be located anywhere in the UK in real time, if it is stolen'

So, as you can always locate your car through the app then that satisfies the definition

Reactions: Toblerone
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was also unsure whether I needed one or not, so I emailed LV and got this response:

'We don't recommend what make of tracker is fitted, however we need to let you know that a tracking device is an electronic device, which is fitted to the car and emits a signal (to either your mobile phone or another device, or to a monitoring service that you maintain a subscription for) that enables the car to be located anywhere in the UK in real time, if it is stolen'

So, as you can always locate your car through the app then that satisfies the definition
Thanks! Sorry I may have missed your earlier post, there’s so much activity going on this week. I’ll change that and resubmit for a quote.
Edit: reading below, I will have another check of the wording. They will happily void the policy if they find reality does not match the details.

Last edited:
I would probably answer yes to that as you can always see where the car is via the app.
Yes I agree we all know that we can all see where your Tesla is in the app.......BUT this is NOT what they are asking for on the application form, it clearly states "....a subscription-paid tracking device" Methinks IF they found out you said YES to this question it just gives them yet another way to wiggle out of paying a claim......take care!

Thanks! Sorry I may have missed your earlier post, there’s so much activity going on this week. I’ll change that and resubmit for a quote.
Mmmm interesting, so just out of interest, I`m going to re-submit my form aswell using the YES answer to the tracker.....we`ll see? 🤨
Then again.........we ALL need a clearer LV definition of precisely if the Tesla tracking app. system matches THEIR insurance requirements, NO?

Last edited:
Mmmm interesting, so just out of interest, I`m going to re-submit my form aswell using the YES answer to the tracker.....we`ll see? 🤨
It’s frustrating they even ask and leave room for uncertainty. They know what the car comes with as standard (as you can see when entering the make, the model, the spec, they can surely pull that info down too from somewhere).
It says ‘emits a signal to either a phone’ (which is the case) or a subscription service, which is not.
I’ll have a look later and call them tomorrow to clarify one way or the other.

It’s frustrating they even ask and leave room for uncertainty. They know what the car comes with as standard (as you can see when entering the make, the model, the spec, they can surely pull that info down too from somewhere).
It says ‘emits a signal to either a phone’ (which is the case) or a subscription service, which is not.
I’ll have a look later and call them tomorrow to clarify one way or the other.
You guys are making this look very difficult. 👀
Let’s look at their own clarification:

a tracking device is an electronic device, which is fitted to the car and emits a signal ✅

(to either your mobile phone or another device ✅

or to a monitoring service that you maintain a subscription for) N/A (but it was an OR)

that enables the car to be located anywhere in the UK in real time ✅

by monitoring service, they just mean if you have bought a tracker it has to be active (eg the subscription hasn’t expired) but that is a moot point here, as we aren’t using a 3rd party service like ‘Tracker’…

Credit @HowieR for the definition from LV

Last edited:
You guys are making this look very difficult. 👀
Let’s look at their own clarification:

a tracking device is an electronic device, which is fitted to the car and emits a signal ✅

(to either your mobile phone or another device ✅

or to a monitoring service that you maintain a subscription for) N/A (but it was an OR)

that enables the car to be located anywhere in the UK in real time ✅

by monitoring service, they just mean if you have bought a tracker it has to be active (eg the subscription hasn’t expired) but that is a moot point here, as we aren’t using a 3rd party service like ‘Tracker’…
So as and when we get a diffinitive yes or no from the `horses mouth` tomorrow say, we can all make that informed decision if need be!

Be careful with that tracker question, some insurance companies do insist that the car is connected to a system that's monitored at a central location. Tesla's tracker also requires the cars wheels to be moving, if its loaded on a flatbed, it's likely gone for good.
Good advice, trying to dodge or fudge the question on a car worth £60k is madness and risky as different insurance companies may take different points of view. Better to assume it doesn’t have a tracker if it’s not listed on the approved trackers list and not tick the “other tracker” option. Act in haste and repent at leisure and all that jazz. If the insurance cost is too high for you after shopping around, perhaps you should buy a different car.

WRT LV insurance - tracker debate…if it helps I have the following condition added on my quote:

“Tracking device
The tracking device must be active when your car is parked. If not, we won’t pay for any loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft.”
Which doesn't make much sense really. If you're parked, why would you need a tracker? If someone steals it, it's no longer parked 🤷 At the end of the day, Tesla's don't actually have a dedicated tracker, you can just use the cars GPS chip via the app, just like you can track your mobile device.

No matter who says what, I'd want a written statement from the insurance company stating that the Tesla app is a suitable way of tracking the car.