Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is THE update i have been waiting for as unless your driving on a flat straight road the dipped beam pattern has always wound me up along anyone i've been blinding with my lights.
It is THE update, but mainly because I've had (mostly) dumb Matrix lights fitted for the last three years. The dip beam has been much improved since the end of last year. When I went to France in January, my dipped beam adjusted as I drove out of the Chunnel exit in France. It visibly moved from left to right and a notification came up on the screen briefly saying it had been adjusted to right hand drive. Same happened when I got off the ferry on my return, it switched back to left hand drive, with the left side being lit. A much better spread both ways than the flatter beam that had been there before. So far, that's been the only benefit from the matrix lights. Really hoping this update comes soon, the matrix lights work well and that is doesn't break anything else...

Unless I'm mistaken it's the high beam that adjusts, the regular dipped main beam is unaltered?

Basically instead of your headlights turning off in the face of oncoming traffic, lights, etc instead it will blank out oncoming cars, leaving the headlights on.

Tesla beam patterns can be a bit all over the place, I don't think this update will change that.
Yes but at the moment i'm stuck with the dipped beam pattern which has the high square block of light on the nearside. As most of my driving is on undulating bendy country roads that block of light is quite often blinding oncoming vehicles and the ones i am following, i find myself dropping back from cars so as not to dazzle them in their mirrors.
If the matrix lights work correctly once enabled i can leave it on high beam without dazzling anyone. 🙏

I know what you mean, and I have noticed the same. It's fine when you're following someone but if you go around a left hand bend with someone coming the other way you'll blind them.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this update will change the dipped beam pattern at all. It'll always be raised on the nearside unless you calibrate it downwards, because that's how it's calibrated to be here in the UK, driving on the left.. It is arguably too high though on auto calibration.

On the matrix lights (and all modern lights I think?) the main beam doesn't replace the dipped beam, it augments it. In the case of this update, it is the bank of LEDs that come on with your main beam that will be adaptive. Your dipped beam - the one that is currently blinding people - will remain the same as it is now, and continue to blind people even after this update (if left untweaked).

Reactions: GT_M3 and browellm
I know what you mean, and I have noticed the same. It's fine when you're following someone but if you go around a left hand bend with someone coming the other way you'll blind them.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this update will change the dipped beam pattern at all. It'll always be raised on the nearside unless you calibrate it downwards, because that's how it's calibrated to be here in the UK, driving on the left.. It is arguably too high though on auto calibration.

On the matrix lights (and all modern lights I think?) the main beam doesn't replace the dipped beam, it augments it. In the case of this update, it is the bank of LEDs that come on with your main beam that will be adaptive. Your dipped beam - the one that is currently blinding people - will remain the same as it is now, and continue to blind people even after this update (if left untweaked).
So I've been wondering in this and not a headlight expert. But that low beam part that's higher up on the nearside. I've not taken this car abroad but as another poster mentioned it adjusts to be higher on the otherside when you enter Central Europe then they can change this in software and lower it.

Hence my thinking is that higher part is actually done with the high beam LED's and can be blanked off. So it's possible this update might do that as part of it's adaptive code. It might not of course but it seems like the hardware can change this if it is told to do so.

Reactions: Durzel
Yes but at the moment i'm stuck with the dipped beam pattern which has the high square block of light on the nearside. As most of my driving is on undulating bendy country roads that block of light is quite often blinding oncoming vehicles and the ones i am following, i find myself dropping back from cars so as not to dazzle them in their mirrors.
If the matrix lights work correctly once enabled i can leave it on high beam without dazzling anyone. 🙏
I know exactly the lighting spread that you refer to, with the uptick to the left that will sweep across oncoming traffic as the road bends.

The surprising thing for me is that I’ve never been flashed, or indeed had any car in front show annoyance.

Whilst it’s clearly throwing light in that direction that should cause concern, perhaps it’s no worse than other modern headlamps??

I always thought that higher nearside light was to illuminate the footpath and pedestrians and was something that (normal) cars have had for years. It was also the reason we used to had those stick on blanking bits when going abroad as there wasn't a way to do it otherwise. I'm sure cars like my old BMW changed the focus slightly to aim further down the road as you went faster, and a wider spread as you went slower, and they weren't classed as adaptive, it was just a crude thing based on speed and steering wheel input.

Anyway - its all gone quiet, both Teslafi and Teala Info are showing very little in the way of new downloads today, maybe waiting to see how the first tranuch gets on.

I believe TeslaFi hasn't reported a single install in the UK yet. They seem to have been confined to continental Europe so far.
RHD beams adjustments in another minor release maybe? I hope not.
Tesla Info has the release in Europe, North America and RoW, but it seems to only Europe where the adaptive headlights are in the notes. If theres a box below it means there are cars of that model in that region, so they've not seen it on North American MX for instance which is probably just a numbers thing

Untitled.jpg

Tesla Info has the release in Europe, North America and RoW, but it seems to only Europe where the adaptive headlights are in the notes. If theres a box below it means there are cars of that model in that region, so they've not seen it on North American MX for instance which is probably just a numbers thing

View attachment 1028277
I used the one on TeslaFi website which has a bit more granularity per country/region and you can drill down to (anonymised) specific vehicles.
But agree, TeslaFi user base is small so not an accurate sampling..
1710512044544.png

I used the one on TeslaFi website which has a bit more granularity per country/region and you can drill down to (anonymised) specific vehicles.
But agree, TeslaFi user base is small so not an accurate sampling..
View attachment 1028283
I find the combo of the two is useful. Tesla info lists the country each release note is seen in, makes it easier to see at a glance, but doesn’t have that world view. Given they’re both probably subsets, either could spot it coming to the U.K.