Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gave it a try, I seldom go out after dark this time of year and even less in places than high beam is useful, so found some nice country roads to test.

It seems to work, you can see it switching cells as you're going around corners. It looks like there's some attempt to switch it off but it's very inconsistent and not entirely sane.. eg. it stayed on through the brightly lit village, but turned itself off as I was waiting at a traffic light on an A road not as brightly lit. Some parts of the motorway it turned itself off and others it stayed on without any apparent difference in the brightness.

I think it's tied to a combination of speed and light - it seemed far more likely to be off if I was doing <15mph, but over that speed it's anyone's guess what the metric is. I'm sure it'll be tweaked.

Probably not something I have a practical use for but it does what it says on the tin.

I think its pretty decent. I'm very much in the "nice to have something for free that other manufacturers would - and still do - charge extra for". If there were more LEDs in the lights then it wouldn't look quite so "stepped" in terms of what it turns off, but beggars can't be choosers. This is where several generations of development pays dividends.

But it's better than it was pre-update, so it's a win.

I’m now getting mild phantom braking for pedestrians on the pavement and oncoming cars that are close to the white line.
That’s new with this update
My experience is this has been happening for some time now, certainly 6 months at least. I have a curving road I regularly use and if it sees pedestrians on the pavements on a curve it loses the plot and starts beeping at me thinking I’m just going to plow into them. 🤦‍♂️

I thought the guidance was still not to use AP etc in urban areas? It’s why “city streets” is “coming soon” etc.
The manual says nothing explicitly about not using TACC in urban areas. It does however say Autosteer is only intended for controlled-access highways.

Phantom braking can of course happen with TACC only, regardless of whether Autosteer is also in use.

IMG_6788.png
IMG_6789.png

I thought the guidance was still not to use AP etc in urban areas? It’s why “city streets” is “coming soon” etc.
Hmm, yes, I see Dilly may be referring to using AP. In my case, the issue occurs driving manually, as I only ever use AP on dual carriageways. In my case it’s the warning or even AEB that occasionally kicks in thinking I’m not going to follow the road and instead mount the pavement and wipe out the pedestrians.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
This guy does some good UK-based videos of FSD in UK "city streets". He gets to a town at about the 24 minute mark
It's not FSD, it's basic autopilot. Calling it "Full Self Driving Capability" on his videos is misleading and clickbait. To be honest, I think it's quite dangerous to use the current version of AP on those types of roads and Tesla should prevent it from being used outside of the "restricted access highways" noted in the manual.

Reactions: randompixel
Ehhhhh I don't mind it letting you do it. It's reckless for sure, but if someone crashes through improper use then that's on them.

An i3 i had previously to my Model 3 wouldn't let me use the basic lane keeping ("Traffic Jam Assist" I think it was) or whatever it was called unless I was on a motorway, and going less than 30mph if I recall correctly. Pretty annoying.

Ehhhhh I don't mind it letting you do it. It's reckless for sure, but if someone crashes through improper use then that's on them.

An i3 i had previously to my Model 3 wouldn't let me use the basic lane keeping ("Traffic Jam Assist" I think it was) or whatever it was called unless I was on a motorway, and going less than 30mph if I recall correctly. Pretty annoying.
Well them and the poor sod they crash into which could be a child walking along a path with no protection