Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla batteries are online in 200 ms or somesuch, and the conventional stuff in "minutes", so Tesla is cleaning up getting the premum early-bird payment

It's not so much that it's a race of course - the rapid response was always needed, but the comparison is between the battery and having a gas plant sitting there fuelled and turning over but not actually generating. The battery can do that more cheaply.

So are all the other Charging companies (VW's Electrify America and the CSS rollout across Europe) going to need batteries at each site to avoid high-peak-load tariffs?

That's what I (and various other commentators) used to think. However, the way it's playing out seems to be slightly different.

In the early days of supercharging (and other fast charging) it seemed like a good idea to have batteries so that you could install a small site without needing to add a new grid connection - trickle charge the batteries from whatever supply already exists on site (maybe even solar) and unload them when a car turns up. Evtronic sell a 50kW CHAdeMO/CCS unit with batteries inside. This makes sense if the level of demand is only enough to require one or two stalls - a site like that can only have a very low capacity factor (if users are to be satisfied with the quality of service) and so can spend most of its time recharging at a slow rate. However, Tesla are already well past that point - once you have enough demand to need 8 or more stalls, then the capacity factor is higher and you need a largeish grid connection anyhow, even if you have batteries.

So we are now talking about batteries to manage peak-hour energy costs. Fundamentally, charging at peak hours is going to be expensive: you can either buy electricity at expensive rates in the market, or you can own your own (expensive) battery to let you time-shift the power. However, owning a battery and just using it to offset charging is a bit wasteful: you make more money using the battery more generally to attack peaks in demand regardless of who caused them rather than limiting it to strictly your own local use.

When you start thinking of it in that way, it no longer particularly matters where your battery is located. If you have plenty of spare space at the charging site, then putting the battery there is good economics as a single grid connection can serve both of them (without even needing to be any bigger). This is why we are seeing batteries being co-located with solar farms and wind farms (and have also in recent years seen diesel generators co-located with solar farms, as a cheap way of providing 'generation resource of last resort') without needing a separate grid connection.

It is notable from that planning application I linked above that it's not actually Tesla's battery. They are manufacturing it, but it's actually being installed on behalf of Camborne Energy Storage Ltd, an investor in energy projects.

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
So are all the other Charging companies (VW's Electrify America and the CSS rollout across Europe) going to need batteries at each site to avoid high-peak-load tariffs?

Exactly, it was actually Ionity that was being discussed in that Fully Charged vid in relation to batteries *before* they mentioned the South Mimms SC site!

Need not be Tesla batteries, there are many others - Sonnen, for example, which is a German company will obviously be a preferred one. But in the end it will come down to cost and scalability, which Tesla seems to do well at :) But there are also many other technologies which are specifically designed for stationary batteries, such as vanadium flow and zinc bromine, which might get a look-in here.

When you start thinking of it in that way, it no longer particularly matters where your battery is located.

Yes, obvious now you've said it, thanks.

This is why we are seeing batteries being co-located with solar farms and wind farms

I read that it would be better to put that battery in my house? i.e. transmit generated power to consumer, and store at consumer, rather than store excess at supplier, because overall saving on transmission losses / battery losses. Easier on infrastructure, at this point in time at least, to store centrally.

Makes sense to me too if I can buy E7 and store in PowerWall for peak (except that TOU stuff is not available in software ... yet)

Think I saw something (but can't find anything in Google) about stationing Batteries at Chernobyl - great grid connectivity from there of course ...

Someone added Brighouse M62 both northbound and southbound to Plugshare. They're still listed as under construction on supercharge.info and not on Tesla's site yet. No comments or photos on the Plugshare entry so no idea if they are actually active or not.

upload_2018-4-18_19-4-41.png

I last posted the "Work in Progress" list on 04-Jan, some still seem to be "long-time-pending" :(
14-Oct -17Leicester Forest East Northbound M1 J21-21a (Permit)
14-Oct -17Leicester Forest East Southbound M1 J21-21a (Permit)
21-Sep-17Fleet Welcome Break Southbound, M3
28-Aug-17Membury Welcome Break Eastbound, M4 Hungerford
30-Jul-17Scotch Corner Holiday Inn Darlington - A1 & A66
22-May-17Welcome Break Burtonwood, M62
21-Mar-17Brighouse Southbound 24-25 M62
21-Mar-17Brighouse Northbound 24-25 M62
.Pending at 04-Jan, Now Open:
01-Oct - 14-MarOld Thorns Manor Hotel, Liphook A3
21-May - 14-MarWelcome Break Membury Services Westbound M4 Hungerford
06-May - 13-MarWelcome Break Fleet Northbound, M3

[TR]
[/TR]

Scotch Corner looks like it just needs commissioning now. I know its supposed to be in the wrong location etc BUT I drive past there once a month and people have been finishing it off so I assume it about to open.

I would say that once the roadworks at the roundabout are finished it will open.

IMG_5118.JPG

Last edited:
You may be right about permission being needed but not a golf club anywhere near more likely a grumpy farmer.

I was told by Tesla that the legal issues had been sorted and that it would get commissioned soon.

It’s funny, I drive past everyday it’s always ICED by HGVs

Either way they need to pull a finger out!!!

2 days until it will have been a year ... pathetic how red tape / whatever can hold these things up, but I seem to remember @arg saying that a conversation he had with Tesla indicated that they have changed approach to now get all paperwork in place before they get the construction crew out.

Yes, Georg said they had learned lessons from the past where the stalls were constructed asap, and the legals dragged on endlessly.

Hopefully now when we see ground being broken it means all the legals are sorted.