Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Liphook should be going live later today according to the contractors on site this morning
They must be teasing me then as they only replied to me yesterday on twitter saying this...

Attachments

• 27217EB0-505D-4AF1-B446-C27D37E5FBFD.png
    27217EB0-505D-4AF1-B446-C27D37E5FBFD.png
    539.1 KB · Views: 120
What I want to know is when they're going to do something near Brighton. There's a massive hole in the supercharger map. I'm going down there this weekend and I'm on the cusp of range anxiety o_O

Historically the problem has been Tesla’s inability to find a suitable location. They were going to put some in at the Crawley SC, which is hardly en route anywhere, but initially the landlord refused and latterly I don’t think it has a man enough power supply. The “coming soon” pin has been there forever, they just update the year :(.

Pease Pottage is often mentioned but I’ve read it’s too small, don’t know whether that’s true of not, and maybe now the spat with Ecotricity seems to have consigned to the past we might see some action.

I think Tesla have also learned from their unintentional mistake of getting the ground works done and stalls ready before the legal/wayleave/power issues are sorted. In future I’d expect ground to break only when they know they can be switched on PDQ.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
So Fleet Northbound, Liphook and Membury Westbound all opened today... talk about busy!

I notice that Fleet Northbound is just labelled "Fleet Supercharger" on the Tesla site - a suggestion that there will not be a southbound?

Also how many stalls at Fleet? Tesla says 8, sc.info says 12.

So Fleet Northbound, Liphook and Membury Westbound all opened today... talk about busy!

I notice that Fleet Northbound is just labelled "Fleet Supercharger" on the Tesla site - a suggestion that there will not be a southbound?

I haven't visited myself but based on other reports:
- There are apparently 12 bays that have been spotted under construction at Fleet Southbound. The service area building was destroyed in a fire at the end of 2016 and although there are temporary facilities available a brand new building is being put in, so there is speculation that the Superchargers won't be online before the new building is opened.
- Previous photos clearly show 12 stalls at Fleet northbound but it looks like only 8 will be commissioned for the time being given Tesla's website listing. Over the last year there have been a few new UK sites where this has been done, for example there are 12 stalls at Aviemore but only 6 commissioned. Interestingly, there are 6 available at Lifton but Tesla's website has always said there are only 4 there.

That's probably just down to the manual updating of the map. Fleet already said "Fleet" on the coming-soon entry, while Membury previously said "Swindon" so had to be renamed when changing it to an open entry.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq

Now appeared on the nav in the car with "Fleet Northbound", so the website is just an abberation.
Does only report 8 stalls in the nav, despite photos from people who've been there showing 12 - presumably they've only commissioned 8 out of the 12, which has been a fairly common pattern with recent large supercharger openings.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Did any Fully Charged watchers catch this one in their recent episode - catch the comment about South Mimms using a grid connected battery for buffering?

I’d not seen that episode, but the battery has been there for a some time now.

There’s also a battery planned at the forthcoming Superchargers at Leicester Forest East (M1), and the planning application contains loads of interesting details:

https://pa.blaby.gov.uk/online-appl...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OTQRTNCY02900

Reading between the lines, the battery doesn’t simply buffer the chargers, rather they are taking advantage of the large grid connection they need to have for the chargers to also site a large battery there: the battery pays its way selling balancing services on the grid, with battery/chargers sharing the cost of the grid connection.

the battery pays its way selling balancing services on the grid,

Not something I know anything about, and based on stuff I've read stuff ... so apologies if inaccurate.

I read that the huge Australian "We'll install it in 100 days or its free" battery is making a Mint by being able to come online way way sooner than all the conventional stand-by stuff, in fact the huge capital-cost conventional stand-by stuff may struggle to get pay-back now. The Tesla batteries are online in 200 ms or somesuch, and the conventional stuff in "minutes", so Tesla is cleaning up getting the premum early-bird payment (although the batteries can't carry on discharging for long of course)

I've also read that cost of Wholesale Electricity can depend very heavily on the Peak Load placed on the grid, so a few kWs here and there, and then all of a sudden all stalls full and charging flat out at once, could be seriously expensive even at low-load. So load-balancing battery would save money for that reason (if that is a thing in UK, as well as in USA?) and if battery large enough presumably it can also be used to fill up at cheaper time-of-use rates.

So are all the other Charging companies (VW's Electrify America and the CSS rollout across Europe) going to need batteries at each site to avoid high-peak-load tariffs? And if so where are they coming from? Ironic if all VW charging stations have a massive Tesla Battery farrm alongside!