Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Twitter

Thurrock Services 16 Tesla / 10 Ecotricity
Birch Services 10 Tesla / 6 Ecotricity
This is really good news on top of the Pease Pottage site. Here's a link to the Thurrock Services proposal (16 Tesla bays + 10 Ecotricity):
https://regs.thurrock.gov.uk/online...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QC63NCQGINX00
Approx location 51.492600, 0.271300 (North is to the left on the plan below)
@MarcoRP @Chuq looks like both Thurrock and Birch are awaiting a decision on planning proposals whereas it appears groundworks have already started at Pease Pottage.

2020-07-29 001346 Thurrock Plan.JPG

And news of yet another Moto planning application for Moto Heston M4 westbound (10 Tesla + 6 Ecotricity) is being reported over on the TOGUK Facebook group!

<wanders off trying not to bemoan the Tesla-Ecotricity spat which (a) probably held up lots of these kinds of Supercharger locations and (b) means they will now be exclusively V3/CCS!>

Seriously good news for the UK Supercharger network though plus interesting to see Ecotricity pick the ball up again.

Reactions: CMc1
According to Twitter

Thurrock Services 16 Tesla / 10 Ecotricity
Birch Services 10 Tesla / 6 Ecotricity

Thanks for these two and the further details @cezdoc! I've added to supercharge.info under the names "Grays" and "Heywood" which were the localities Google Maps gave me. Birch appeared to be ambiguous with a town near Colchester so I used Heywood. Let me know if they should be named something else though.

Reactions: cezdoc
Thanks.

I'd say put them under their own name. Motorway services are generally not connected to the local road system, users are generally unaware where they are in relation to place names nearby, more likely to know them by their name and/or the motorway they used to get there.

Birch Services - M62 westbound
Thurrock Services - M25
Pease Pottage Services - M23

Last edited:
Reactions: CMc1
Great to see Crawley in the works, any updates would be much appreciated (do we know how long it usually takes after breaking ground?).

It is Great to see some serious EV chargining infrastructure coming online! Im glad that these companies are partnering up as a Tesla only charging site at a motorway service station wasn't going to cut it and i worried that it might mean fewer Tesla superchargers at these sorts of sites.

Reactions: JupiterMan
Great to see Crawley in the works, any updates would be much appreciated (do we know how long it usually takes after breaking ground?).

It is Great to see some serious EV charging infrastructure coming online! I'm glad that these companies are partnering up as a Tesla only charging site at a motorway service station wasn't going to cut it and i worried that it might mean fewer Tesla superchargers at these sorts of sites.
yeah but the other partnership seems to be Ecotricity/Ionity. Talk about Hobson's choice! which do I go for? the one that probably won't work or the one that may not work and I will wish it didn't when I see the bill?

Reactions: TJ63
Ecotricity seems to be stating by their actions that they believe Tesla will outsell all other EVs combined by a large margin.
isn't more the case that since Superchargers are a one make series if you share a site with Tesla you get ALL the non tesla business and maybe even a few Teslas at busy times. So its win win
Share a site with anyone else and you have to actually compete on price and performance. Though Ecotricity are doing that as well I think well at least the sharing part

isn't more the case that since Superchargers are a one make series if you share a site with Tesla you get ALL the non tesla business and maybe even a few Teslas at busy times. So its win win
Share a site with anyone else and you have to actually compete on price and performance. Though Ecotricity are doing that as well I think well at least the sharing part
Never even gave that a thought, though in price Ecotricity have spanked IONITY

That's the partnership I don't understand. Non Tesla drivers have the option of Ecotricity buy IONITY aren't exclusive to any brand.
maybe the services are starting to demand more than one brand so that there is competition and no price gouging . At least none that they don't get to benefit from :). What they want is as many people to stop there as possible to buy over priced sweets and coffee and having more than one charger type must be a plus for that I would think

Reactions: ringi and m3gt2
Never even gave that a thought, though in price Ecotricity have spanked IONITY
for us yes but not necessarily if you have car in the Ionity network. Ionity may well be faster as well though I would be sad if anyone is still planing to install new chargers at motorway services that are not at least 100Kwh. Installing new 50kwh now would seem massively not future proof, at least on motorways where people are travelling long distances and want a quick stop.

Reactions: m3gt2
for us yes but not necessarily if you have car in the Ionity network. Ionity may well be faster as well though I would be sad if anyone is still planing to install new chargers at motorway services that are not at least 100Kwh. Installing new 50kwh now would seem massively not future proof, at least on motorways where people are travelling long distances and want a quick stop.
I would say that it's a decision based on cost of installation. If a 100Kwh chargers was 20% more than 50Kwh I would agree but if you could have 4 50Kwh for the same cost as a single 100Kwh I'd say they would be better making the majority 50Kwh and charging a lower rate for charging than using the faster chargers. I could be totally wrong but I don't think many will need to fully charge on the motorway and would just need a short topup while getting a coffee to get them to their destination.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Note for Supercharge Info (@Chuq), on TOGUK’s new interactive map, they say:

- Fort William and Pease Pottage are under construction
- Heston has a permit (still waiting to see proof)
- Cardiff seems officially in permit status
- Leicester Forest is dead
- Brighouse is a lost cause, so is Fleet Southbound

Anything else to add and should we trust this info??

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Joelly
yeah but the other partnership seems to be Ecotricity/Ionity. Talk about Hobson's choice! which do I go for? the one that probably won't work or the one that may not work and I will wish it didn't when I see the bill?
I dont actually have experience of ecotricity, but I would much prefer that choice than sitting on the hard shoulder (If they even exist anymore?!?!) as i run out of juice. People seem to forget that the cost of these chargers is irrelevant for 90% of driving.

Reactions: miimura and ringi