Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note for Supercharge Info (@Chuq), on TOGUK’s new interactive map, they say:

- Fort William and Pease Pottage are under construction
- Heston has a permit (still waiting to see proof)
- Cardiff seems officially in permit status
- Leicester Forest is dead
- Brighouse is a lost cause, so is Fleet Southbound

Anything else to add and should we trust this info??
I thought that might be the case for Leicester, where did you see that?

I would say that it's a decision based on cost of installation. If a 100Kwh chargers was 20% more than 50Kwh

I think the cost difference for two 50kw charged that are connected so if only one is not in use 100kw can be given by the other is now within that range.

Also once a 11kv transformor is instill on site, it costs little more to put in a larger transformer to give more power.

(Costly clusters of chargers should be planned for what EVs can use in 5 yeara time, but now.)

Reactions: m3gt2
yeah but the other partnership seems to be Ecotricity/Ionity. Talk about Hobson's choice! which do I go for? the one that probably won't work or the one that may not work and I will wish it didn't when I see the bill?

I expect these new Ecotricity chargers will be much more reliable as they are in reasonable sized clusters.

That's the partnership I don't understand. Non Tesla drivers have the option of Ecotricity buy IONITY aren't exclusive to any brand

Ionity is aiming at fast charging cars, with their owner's brands getting a cheap subscription offer to get much lower cost charging. The ID.3 is the first car that has the subscription option.

Reactions: m3gt2
@Chuq @MarcoRP @cezdoc found some possible info on Stirling, could someone confirm please? Shows a Model 3 under a Solar Canopy and mentions "Tesla PowerPacks" but can't confirm if they will be Superchargers.

Simple Search Ref. No: 20/00195/MSC

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 17.08.36.png
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 17.07.52.png
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 17.07.30.png

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc and MarcoRP
Note for Supercharge Info (@Chuq), on TOGUK’s new interactive map, they say:

- Fort William and Pease Pottage are under construction
- Heston has a permit (still waiting to see proof)
- Cardiff seems officially in permit status
- Leicester Forest is dead
- Brighouse is a lost cause, so is Fleet Southbound

Anything else to add and should we trust this info??
I think the curator of the TOGUK map is reasonably careful about his information and there are a lot of knowledgeable owners feeding his list but I think he does use a best guess for some of the status information.

I'm not local to any of these but this is what I've picked up from online discussion:
- Fort William has had Tesla equipment delivered but a visitor on 27th July reported no actual digging yet.
- Pease Pottage has a new trench with a conduit in the proposed charger location but I haven't seen pictures of any Tesla equipment yet.
- The Cardiff planning permission docs are for Tesla signage but include "provisional" Supercharger bay locations on the site plans and we know that Superchargers have been/are being installed at some other UK Service Centres.
- The Leicester Forest East project was in conjunction with a company that went bust (Camborne Energy Storage IIRC). Planning was granted in 2017 so I guess this can be regarded as officially dead when that expires (not sure of the deadline though). EDIT: planning expires 15-Sep-2020.
- In the case of Brighouse and Fleet Southbound the Supercharger stalls are still in the ground, but maybe it's not worth the expense of digging them up? I believe the issue for these sites was the power supply and may involve land access/wayleave issues.
- Also worth noting that (retrospective) planning permission was refused for Leavesden (Chandler's Cross) in November last year. They didn't get as far as putting up the stalls but all the groundworks are there, including loops of cables coming out at each charging bay.

The Heston planning application is P/2020/1942 01256/A/P67, Received 17-Jun-20, and is currently "pending consideration". The following link takes you there once you've ticked the consent box (tick the box then re-enter the address if it doesn't work):
Planning Development Control
However the related docs link that would normally include things like site plans appears to be broken at the moment.

Also over on TOGUK some enthusiastic folk are combing through planning applications to see if there are any more for motorway service areas following the finds for Pease Pottage, Birch, Thurrock and Heston, and have come up with two more: Stafford Northbound (M6 J14-15) (12 bays) and Reading Services, M4 J11-12 (12 bays).

Planning links for Stafford & Reading:
Stafford Northbound
Simple Search
Ref: 20/32527/FUL
Approx location: 52.887100, -2.173300

Reading Westbound
http://planning.westberks.gov.uk/rpp/index.asp?caseref=20/01366/COMIND
Approx location: 51.423500, -1.039000

Last edited:
@Chuq @MarcoRP @cezdoc found some possible info on Stirling, could someone confirm please? Shows a Model 3 under a Solar Canopy and mentions "Tesla PowerPacks" but can't confirm if they will be Superchargers.

I've seen some discussion about this (a bit more local to me) and also noticed the Model 3 used in the drawings, but the only Tesla equipment involved is the Powerpacks & I don't think this will have Superchargers. It will be a pretty handy EV rapid charging hub never-the-less.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
...The Heston planning application is P/2020/1942 01256/A/P67, Received 17-Jun-20, and is currently "pending consideration". The following link takes you there once you've ticked the consent box (tick the box then re-enter the address if it doesn't work):
Planning Development Control

Best... Supercharger... name... EVER.

Signed,
Dave Heston

View attachment 570241 View attachment 570242 View attachment 570243

Stirling services is on the supercharger coming soon list and it is a MOTO service station. This documentation seems to be focussing on the power supply side. Good to see the power packs coupled with the solar canopy. Is this a first in UK ? We have lots of great solar canopy charging hubs in Dundee but none are linked to battery storage. It probably does not need planning, so somebody should scope the site for visuals on activity.

Stirling services is on the supercharger coming soon list and it is a MOTO service station. This documentation seems to be focussing on the power supply side. Good to see the power packs coupled with the solar canopy. Is this a first in UK ? We have lots of great solar canopy charging hubs in Dundee but none are linked to battery storage. It probably does not need planning, so somebody should scope the site for visuals on activity.

Nah. Just checked the planning source and have got that wrong. This will be a rather special chargeplace scotland hub in the business park near the Raploch.

Still no word on the progress to superchargers at Stirling services :(

This is really good news on top of the Pease Pottage site. Here's a link to the Thurrock Services proposal (16 Tesla bays + 10 Ecotricity):
20/00752/FUL | Formation of new parking area for 26 new electric vehicle charging parking spaces adjacent the existing car park. | Thurrock Services Arterial Road West Thurrock RM16 3BG
Approx location 51.492600, 0.271300 (North is to the left on the plan below)
@MarcoRP @Chuq looks like both Thurrock and Birch are awaiting a decision on planning proposals whereas it appears groundworks have already started at Pease Pottage.

Is it just me, or do the Thurrock plans actually show 15 Tesla charge points and 12 Ecotricity, and not 16/10 as outlined in the planning permission application?

Reactions: cezdoc