Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update that Woodall NB has planning permission granted, so hopefully they'll crack on. Interesting that the council put a condition on which requires a footpath to be constructed prior to the site going live, to stop people walking down the lorry route.

Also this might be the only Supercharger site to be built on top of a coal mine. Surely some irony there...

http://rotherham.planportal.co.uk/view.aspx?id=RB2018/0411&docid=3793033

Ed

Thats good to hear! And yeah a footpath is definitely a good idea as that isn't a route I'd like to walk! Newport Pagnall southbound sounds like it could do with something similar too, judging by some of the google map comments I've seen. Apparently having to cross the M1 exit slip road to the services.

As for the coal mine, not uncommon around here (as you might already know). Anywhere you throw a stone you'll hit one. My house is on one old pit and the new Ikea in Sheffield just up the road is built on 3 old shafts!

Newport Pagnall southbound sounds like it could do with something similar too, judging by some of the google map comments I've seen

its not great. You have to cross the access road, and arriving traffic, and whilst not a huge volume of traffic, it is both dealing with a left hand bend, and looking to right for where to turn into parking ... and Tesla pedestrians are approaching from their left, blind, side

But on balance I would say "crossing with care" there is fine. probably same risk as distracted ICE pedestrian in car park not hearing an approaching EV :)

Newport Pagnell SB is indeed a bit dicey. Especially with the size of the curbs etc however I have never really had any risk of being run over. A path like Woodall SB is a perfectly reasonable request by the council though (for once!).

I an looking forward to the Dorchester SuC as that will really help the devon to London cross country journey!

Went to Woodall Services yesterday.

The service road (both Northbound and Southbound) which used to be a pothole infested flooded track has recently been resurfaced :)

No sign of any barriers e.g. to prevent use of charger on other-side-of-road

SatNav was in two minds about whether I could use the Service Road, or not ...

Coming across country it correctly identified that I could use the Service Road to charge, but then instead of taking me back down the Service Road it wanted to plot a route on the Motorway South to next junction and then back up North again ...

There's a pub 100x along from the service road entrance, so I've put that in my Favourites as a land mark (i.e. if I need to get to Supercharger from rural roads rather than Motorway)

The Pebley Inn

Cardiff Gate appears to have been removed from the list of planned SC? Anyone have any info about this. When I got my MS75 I was told by the SC that this was in the offing then (Aug 17) so it seems a bit odd!

I'm afraid the grey dots are in many cases little more than wishful thinking on Tesla's part. There's been one in the Gatwick area for over 3 years and they still don't have a site. Anything the SC told you should equally be taken with a large pinch of salt.

The problems range from a site of suitable size (8 Superchargers as a minimum), sufficient facilities - toilets/refreshments and not least of all sufficient power. To that you can add landowners over whose land cables may have to run and who demand a kings ransom for the privilege.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
(By reddit post) Fleet Services Southbound, no progress

So new that they are still wrapped... (Greater London) • r/teslamotors
surcc79rejx11.jpg

And they still looked like this when I was there two days ago, on January 1, 2019. Why can't they activate at least half of them, as they have across the bridge in the northbound services? I had no reply when I emailed this question to Welcome Break. I drive from Somerset to south-east London regularly and it's a real pain to loop round the the northbound services on the way home.

I wrote to Christopher Grayling MP Minister of Transport and also Mr O'Sullivan, CEO, Highways England, asking for restoration of the link between Charnock Richard services south to north. Nothing from HE. Today an answer from the office of low emissions. A standard offering about how there are grants for home users and public bodies. Nothing at all about the specific issue!

I have forwarded the response to Mr Grayling asking for a proper response, to the issue raised.

I wrote to Christopher Grayling MP Minister of Transport and also Mr O'Sullivan, CEO, Highways England, asking for restoration of the link between Charnock Richard services south to north. Nothing from HE. Today an answer from the office of low emissions. A standard offering about how there are grants for home users and public bodies. Nothing at all about the specific issue!

I have forwarded the response to Mr Grayling asking for a proper response, to the issue raised.
Personally I don't have an issue with Highways England enforcing restrictions on motorway service roads, there are valid safety and security reasons for doing so. In the case of Charnock Richard, does the latest Nav route through the service road when heading south? If it does it's an issue to raise with Tesla, but if not we can just plan accordingly. It's an extra 6 miles down to the next junction and back, and another 9 to loop back to where you started. If you're heading up the M5 and need to charge at Hopwood Park, for example, it's a similar detour.

That said I expect the hotel have lobbied for guest access and it may be that Tesla are doing the same, or just looking into getting a southbound Supercharger. If you're really short of charge and can't manage another 6 miles there's an Ecotricity rapid on the southbound side. I'm content to live with the current situation and plan my journeys around it.

I was up in Tbay services last week northbound and you have to come off go on a pretty little magical mystery tour through fields etc and down a “hotel only” little road.

I wonder how long before that road is blocked or closed which if it is makes getting up north tricky as you need tbay super charger

Reactions: JammyP