Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living less than 5 miles away and after waitng 5 years for this to happen, it seems like this site is going to be a 5 star!

Spoke to one of the construction gang through the fence over the weekend.
He indicated, how truthfully or not I cannot confirm, that, there will be more than 8 chargers and all V3.
Not sure if anyone has seen or picked up on the the grey sub-station next to the green control shed?
This might be evidence of more stands to come perhaps as many as 16. Great choice for the site with so many walkable amenities all around it.

One small hiccup, we might be waiting a while longer for connection from the DNO.

Looking on the bright side it will give us Models S and X owners time to get the CCS combo upgrade done. I've ordered mine 'Free for life charging' just got much better. Adios, Norton Park !

WD Tesla! It's going to have been worth the wait

How much of the 250kW will your Model S be able to use?

Living less than 5 miles away and after waitng 5 years for this to happen, it seems like this site is going to be a 5 star!

Spoke to one of the construction gang through the fence over the weekend.
He indicated, how truthfully or not I cannot confirm, that, there will be more than 8 chargers and all V3.
Not sure if anyone has seen or picked up on the the grey sub-station next to the green control shed?
This might be evidence of more stands to come perhaps as many as 16. Great choice for the site with so many walkable amenities all around it.

One small hiccup, we might be waiting a while longer for connection from the DNO.

Looking on the bright side it will give us Models S and X owners time to get the CCS combo upgrade done. I've ordered mine 'Free for life charging' just got much better. Adios, Norton Park !

WD Tesla! It's going to have been worth the wait

I live about 2 miles from the charger so is great for me and part of the reason the wife gave the go ahead to get the Model S.

Now with these chargers being V3 will they still be compatible with my late 2014 S85? Really hope so as it would be a bit mean not having the dual cable connectors like they do at the Exeter charger

How much of the 250kW will your Model S be able to use?

Not sure this is relevant to the thread. However, no one seems to mind here so I will answer your pertinent question.

After trawling the internet for available the freely availble information and conjecture.... It would appear that it very much depends on what version of Model S or X you have as to what increase in peak rate gain or sustained charge rate we might hope expect from a V3. Seeing is believing after all. I'll update you with the exact figures when I have them, so that we may all be wiser.....

What ever the improvement is, it will be most welcome in our neck of the woods.

I am sure I can speak for all that have suffered in those long queues at Norton Park waiting to share those two 130kw chargers.

50 kw was the max for the majority of my visits. 50 kw was and will continue to be the max rate when sharing, this will of course include those brash young thrusters in their shiney new Model 3's.

Earlier adopters with deeper pockets helped to make this new site possible in my humble opinion. :)

Not sure this is relevant to the thread. However, no one seems to mind here so I will answer your pertinent question.

After trawling the internet for available the freely availble information and conjecture.... It would appear that it very much depends on what version of Model S or X you have as to what increase in peak rate gain or sustained charge rate we might hope expect from a V3. Seeing is believing after all. I'll update you with the exact figures when I have them, so that we may all be wiser.....

What ever the improvement is, it will be most welcome in our neck of the woods.

I am sure I can speak for all that have suffered in those long queues at Norton Park waiting to share those two 130kw chargers.

50 kw was the max for the majority of my visits. 50 kw was and will continue to be the max rate when sharing, this will of course include those brash young thrusters in their shiney new Model 3's.

Earlier adopters with deeper pockets helped to make this new site possible in my humble opinion. :)
As a young thruster (thank you!) who has waited patiently behind the deep pocketed Model S owners at Norton park as they slowly charged to 100% because it was free, their departure to pastures new will be most welcome.

I live about 2 miles from the charger so is great for me and part of the reason the wife gave the go ahead to get the Model S.

Now with these chargers being V3 will they still be compatible with my late 2014 S85? Really hope so as it would be a bit mean not having the dual cable connectors like they do at the Exeter charger
As a young thruster (thank you!) who has waited patiently behind the deep pocketed Model S owners at Norton park as they slowly charged to 100% because it was free, their departure to pastures new will be most welcome.

Very happy to hand over the reigns, the grass is greener, it turns out. See you all at the new site :)

I never charged to 100% especially since they nerfed the charging speeds last year due to Chinese fires. I think 80% is the max I charge to anyway.

I did see this about V3 chargers though

"
Which Cars Can Charge At The New V3 Superchargers?
Just like with previous versions of Tesla’s Superchargers, any of Tesla’s vehicles capable of Supercharging can charge at the new V3 stations. The intelligent stations then talk with the car to determine the maximum charge the vehicle is capable of receiving as the session starts. It then matches the power it pushes out to the maximum charging rate the car can handle to ensure the car gets the fastest charge possible every time.

That being said, older Teslas will not see much benefit from the faster V3 Supercharging compared to the 150 kW enjoyed on V2 Supercharging stations because their onboard hardware simply won’t support the higher speeds. As of today, the fastest charge at Tesla’s V3 stations can be had in Tesla’s Long Range Model 3s thanks to its (many) 2170 battery cells from Gigafactory 1."

Surely they will have some legacy charger points out of the 8 (possibly 16) points there

Also ...

'The newer V3 Superchargers like the one in Park Royal, London, can charge at up to 250kW. Tesla claims that could reduce the time you spend charging by up to 50%: "At this rate, a Model 3 Long Range operating at peak efficiency can recover up to 75 miles of charge in five minutes and charge at rates of up to 1,000 miles per hour," it says.

Gains for the Model S and Model X will be more modest, however, as these cars aren't equipped with the necessary CCS charging port. Instead, their maximum charging rate climbs to 145kW, which is still very fast in the scheme of things.'

It's becoming clear that those of us with older Model S need to get the CCS upgrade ASAP. I ordered this morning.

But for those of you living near Norton Park/Amesbury, why on earth do you want to drive 5 miles and charge for "free", no doubt sipping on an expensive coffee to pass the time (someone was mentioning the better ameneties of the new location in the same breath as saying it was useful close to home)? Home charging is much more convenient, cheaper once you've included the cost of the coffee, and puts less wear on the battery (and more importantly, on the counter that will slow down your charging after too much fast charging).

Sure, it's nice to have a supercharger round the corner for that once-in-five-years case where you have a sudden and unexpected need to charge or your home chargepoint is broken, but "because it's free" seems a bad reason.

• Love
Reactions: Adopado and CMc1
Park Royal, London,

Park Royal (the first UK V3 site) has a mix of V3 and V2.

Completely independent of the introduction of V3, max charging speed for Model S/X was upgraded to around 145kW - which was always the maximum theoretical output of a single V2 cabinet when not being shared.

Just recently, there's been a spate of new sites that appear V3 only.

It's becoming clear that those of us with older Model S need to get the CCS upgrade ASAP. I ordered this morning.

But for those of you living near Norton Park/Amesbury, why on earth do you want to drive 5 miles and charge for "free", no doubt sipping on an expensive coffee to pass the time (someone was mentioning the better ameneties of the new location in the same breath as saying it was useful close to home)? Home charging is much more convenient, cheaper once you've included the cost of the coffee, and puts less wear on the battery (and more importantly, on the counter that will slow down your charging after too much fast charging).

Sure, it's nice to have a supercharger round the corner for that once-in-five-years case where you have a sudden and unexpected need to charge or your home chargepoint is broken, but "because it's free" seems a bad reason.

'The best things in life are free? or perhaps 'included' in this case. Being one of those living nearby and to answer your question.
Shopping, is the reason it makes sense to combine an unavoidable trip with some free juice at least twice a week. The biggest advantage is dropping off the Mrs and missing the first 30 to 40 mins whilst you casually sit filling up smugly watching the M3 owners rack up 20 something pence a kilowatt, can't put a value on that. Amesbury will be very convenient for topping up for a longer trip.Turn left on the A303 for the west country and right for London and who knows where else!

Ps I am hoping that my battery will wear out or fail within the remaining 4 years, fingers crossed!

Why would people who live a couple of miles away want to charge at the Amesbury V3 supercharger?

Because it's free of course. And I can park there and go do a shop at Tesco's or Lidle whilst charging ...for free :)

But the question that needs answering is:

Is the CCS adaptor needed just to get higher charge rates.... or will I not be able to charge my S85 at these chargers without an adaptor. I think it would be big news if Tesla shut out a huge part of its clients doing CCS only