Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Veering back OT for a moment, just read some posts about construction activity at Wyboston Lakes Spa, St Neots (just off the A1). No pictures shared (yet) but unlike Harrison Ford I have a good feeling about this rumour.

I’m eager to see a permit for this one!
Still leaves a substantial gap, but this is handy when heading to London via A1 also

The Tesla Owner's Facebook Group don't waste any time: images of the location have already been shared. No need to wait for a permit!: construction is already quite advanced: looks to me like groundworks are complete for 10 V3 stalls. I haven't asked permission to re-post pictures but they show 10 thick cable loops coming out of the ground (where the charger stalls will go) plus three charger cabinets in bags & associated electrical transformer cabinets (i.e. a big green box and some other kit).

If anyone is interested to have a look the location is (52.202400, -0.291500) where the red pin sits on the map below (it's evidently been turned into a parking area since the overhead photo was taken).

Annotation 2020-08-20 154704.JPG

• Love
Reactions: JupiterMan and CMc1
The Tesla Owner's Facebook Group don't waste any time: images of the location have already been shared. No need to wait for a permit!: construction is already quite advanced: looks to me like groundworks are complete for 10 V3 stalls. I haven't asked permission to re-post pictures but they show 10 thick cable loops coming out of the ground (where the charger stalls will go) plus three charger cabinets in bags & associated electrical transformer cabinets (i.e. a big green box and some other kit).

If anyone is interested to have a look the location is (52.202400, -0.291500) where the red pin sits on the map below (it's evidently been turned into a parking area since the overhead photo was taken).

View attachment 578598
Seems there’s already some destination chargers at the hotel. Good find

They did seem to have a LOT of cabling sat there. Also its a very good location, strategically, as its in a bit of a blank spot for superchargers, on a major road (a303) accessible from both directions, and there is a holiday inn there, a drive-through costa coffee, KFC... i can imagine its pretty high traffic.
Anecdotally we saw a lot more Model 3s and Ys than we used to on a trip to London and back today. Nowhere near enough of course... but a noticeable increase.

Don't know if you spotted the 8 x concrete bases for Super Chargers in the trench on opposite side of the carpark to the installed ones, Cliffski?
Seems very likely the additional units will be installed, who knows if they'll be connected ?... Fingers crossed.
If so, think you're right about the "Largest V3 Location in the UK".

Reactions: CMc1
3 cabinets = 12 V3?

We should be on the lookout for battery storage at these V3 sites, given the V3 architecture is designed around connection to storage. So the direct relation between number of cabinets and number of stalls might not hold unless you can be sure exactly what sort of cabinets they are.

I'm not sure what a storage cabinet might look like - we've got South Mimms with conventional PowerPack storage, but that's pre-V3 and has the separate battery cabinets + inverter/charger cabinet (the latter looking quite similar to a V3 supercharger). The idea with the V3 seems to be to cut out the inverter/charger as part of the storage system (using what's in the supercharger instead), so maybe they'd just use the PowerPack storage cabinets on their own, or maybe they will do something different for superchargers.

Keep your eyes peeled!

Reactions: ringi
We should be on the lookout for battery storage at these V3 sites, given the V3 architecture is designed around connection to storage. So the direct relation between number of cabinets and number of stalls might not hold unless you can be sure exactly what sort of cabinets they are.

I'm not sure what a storage cabinet might look like - we've got South Mimms with conventional PowerPack storage, but that's pre-V3 and has the separate battery cabinets + inverter/charger cabinet (the latter looking quite similar to a V3 supercharger). The idea with the V3 seems to be to cut out the inverter/charger as part of the storage system (using what's in the supercharger instead), so maybe they'd just use the PowerPack storage cabinets on their own, or maybe they will do something different for superchargers.

Keep your eyes peeled!

Hence why I quoted these 9 mega packs : (hopefully they’ll be utilised in UK for this reason)
View attachment 575512 Hopefully a few of these are heading to UK to help with some of the power concerns.

Reactions: Sean.
Hi,

travelling the other day from UB8 to Sheffield via the M1 northbound...surprised to find only chargers in Northampton (in a hotel although very close to the M1).

Any news on the Leicester (which I think is Southbound) and Newport Pagnell Services?

As of now, there are more stations Southbound than Northbound? If some of them were easily connected it would be perfect, otherwise you have to do some rerouting to get to the Southbound charging point.

Thanks

Hi,

travelling the other day from UB8 to Sheffield via the M1 northbound...surprised to find only chargers in Northampton (in a hotel although very close to the M1).

Any news on the Leicester (which I think is Southbound) and Newport Pagnell Services?

As of now, there are more stations Southbound than Northbound? If some of them were easily connected it would be perfect, otherwise you have to do some rerouting to get to the Southbound charging point.

Thanks
Have a search through this thread for “Newport” or “Leicester” / “LFE”. There has been a lot of talk of these locations.

No offence, but this question gets asked a lot here and the answers are repeated on regular basis, with no update.

I’ve even typed the presearch for you in this link: Search Results | Tesla Motors Club

Regarding southbound, a lot of locations can be access via the service roads from the Northbound. And vice-versa. Woodall is a prime example. Often worth checking Google Maps satellite images before hand to see if there is any roads that connect the two.

Reactions: joanfa and Roy W.
Have a search through this thread for “Newport” or “Leicester” / “LFE”. There has been a lot of talk of these locations.

No offence, but this question gets asked a lot here and the answers are repeated on regular basis, with no update.

I’ve even typed the presearch for you in this link: Search Results | Tesla Motors Club

Regarding southbound, a lot of locations can be access via the service roads from the Northbound. And vice-versa. Woodall is a prime example. Often worth checking Google Maps satellite images before hand to see if there is any roads that connect the two.

Thanks.

I did the search before posting but as didn't find any news I thought to ask again :)

About the service roads, I was not aware that this may be a solution...I will check these in my next trip.

Thanks

Reactions: CMc1
Thanks.

I did the search before posting but as didn't find any news I thought to ask again :)

About the service roads, I was not aware that this may be a solution...I will check these in my next trip.

Thanks

I don't know about your own area of the country but it's worth checking out if there is access allowed even if there is a connecting road. I have used Tebay on the M6 which has specific signage and allows cars to cross over for Tesla charging on the Southbound side. I believe that some other services can be different/awkward (eg. Charnock Richard?).

Reactions: Roy W.
I don't know about your own area of the country but it's worth checking out if there is access allowed even if there is a connecting road. I have used Tebay on the M6 which has specific signage and allows cars to cross over for Tesla charging on the Southbound side. I believe that some other services can be different/awkward (eg. Charnock Richard?).
I _think_ this is a full list of UK Superchargers which only serve one direction, at services which are split into two directions:

Charnock Richard Northbound - access is not allowed from the southbound side/access road (intercom-operated security barrier)
Fleet Northbound - not sure, assume not
Michaelwood Northbound - not sure, although I think it's possible here
Newport Pagnell - Southbound - access not allowed
Penrith, UK - Tebay Southbound - access is permitted, from northbound head past hotel and follow signs
Woodall Southbound - can be accessed northbound by coming off at M1 J30 and heading for the service road

Hilton Park Southbound gets an honourable mention as it looks like you can use service roads to go back to M6 J11 and thus hop over to the M6 toll or the M54, based on access allowed for hotel guests.

In general Highways England have in recent years cracked down on use of service roads, especially where they have become popular rat runs, and asked for service areas to put in barriers if necessary. I know access at Charnock Richard, and I believe also Newport Pagnell, has been tightened up in recent years. It's a bit of a grey area and subject to crackdowns (if there's a hotel on the service area site I usually look at their website to see if their directions suggest guests can use the service roads).

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.