Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On another note… the rollout with Tesla/Ecotricity at several Moto MSAs *could* start from May
Remember however that the Gridserve/Ecotricity deal also means updating the existing old Ecotricity network.... it's not clear in the tweet, but I think he's referring to that from May after Rugby goes on line, and the Moto Ecotricity/Supercharger "ulta-power" sites from the Summer?

It’s be awesome if the gridserve upgrades included super chargers at every MSA. Would make it so much easier to plan trips and breaks based on when someone needs a wee/food/leg stretch rather than focusing on the charging part

even if they don’t, simply having more fast chargers might mean intend towards these rather than superchargers if they’re reliable

Wanted to provide an update on Winchester and what I heard from the head tech back in December.

The new Winchester Service Centre and Store was initially setup to have Supercharging facilities down the left hand side of the building.

Brand new Signage outside points towards this ‘area’ that is currently just being used for staff parking; To be for supercharging.

After bringing it up in person, the head tech mentioned his frustration as initial discussions with the City kept falling through. And they didn’t look hopeful that they’d get planning permission.

My take:

Having visited the site in person multiple times, I can see why the city is anxious.

- While close to the motorway exit, the road already has a lot of traffic as it’s a main road into the city.

- Access to the Service Centre is limited. The driveway is shared with Mercedes, and is regularly blocked with Showroom Cars and/or more often a Trailer Transporter. The driveway access really isn’t designed for heavy traffic.

- On my second service visit; I had to sit and wait for the Mercedes Lorry to move to gain access to the service centre.

- With Rownlands coming online soon, I feel this will be the nail in the coffin for the site. And the delay to 2022 seems but all to confirm this.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: cezdoc and CMc1
Wanted to provide an update on Winchester and what I heard from the head tech back in December.

The new Winchester Service Centre and Store was initially setup to have Supercharging facilities down the left hand side of the building.

Brand new Signage outside points towards this ‘area’ that is currently just being used for staff parking; To be for supercharging.

After bringing it up in person, the head tech mentioned his frustration as initial discussions with the City kept falling through. And they didn’t look hopeful that they’d get planning permission.

My take:

Having visited the site in person multiple times, I can see why the city is anxious.

- While close to the motorway exit, the road already has a lot of traffic as it’s a main road into the city.

- Access to the Service Centre is limited. The driveway is shared with Mercedes, and is regularly blocked with Showroom Cars and/or more often a Trailer Transporter. The driveway access really isn’t designed for heavy traffic.

- On my second service visit; I had to sit and wait for the Mercedes Lorry to move to gain access to the service centre.

- With Rownlands coming online soon, I feel this will be the nail in the coffin for the site. And the delay to 2022 seems but all to confirm this.
Thanks for the useful insight. I've seen other comments about traffic being pretty bad in the area but it wouldn't be the first location to suffer from congestion at peak times. I also understand the head tech's frustration: the City are happy to collect business rates from land that has presumably been zoned off and allowed to be developed for commercial use, but now they are concerned about the traffic implications? Perhaps they should have focused on getting the road layout set up appropriately before the retail units were sold...

On the plus side, Tesla's Winchester Supercharger map marker is new and only added at the end of last week.
Glass half full: it's definitely happening (otherwise why bother adding a new marker?: Winchester was one of only four recent additions)
Glass half empty: no chance of a Service Centre Supercharger, so back to the drawing board & look for another site in the area. Forget about anything happening this year and add a marker to reflect this status.

Reactions: Arran
Flint Mountain Chargers off the A55 are open and working, looks like currently free vend as my current session is showing my last supercharge. Charge is low as my car is cold and no preconditioning
32CBB96B-5C80-4D84-A4D7-3F08060137A1.jpeg

Press release via Zap Map reference chargers at Rugby. Looks like Exeter marker confirms Moto and Ecotricity plans along with Thurrock and Reading (which we’ve already seen plans for).

By the end of the year, 28 Moto sites are set to have ultra-rapid chargers. The aim is to have all Moto services with at least six ultra-rapid chargers by the end of 2022, as part of a long-term, +£100 million investment programme, including an upgrade to all existing 50kW chargers by the end of July 2021 for greater charging power ahead of increased ‘staycation’ traffic. Following the blueprint of the new Rugby site, Moto is planning a further 24 ultra-rapid charger locations at Reading, Thurrock, and Exeter by the end of 2021.

So will reading, Thurrock and Exeter be 12/12 CCS/supercharger like rugby? It’d be handy to have more Tesla chargers at actual motorway services rather than eg heading off to a business park near madjeski stadium - especially when you’re travelling with the family
Plans for Reading and Thurrock are 12 of each. No details for Exeter yet but suspect the same set up following that press release mentioning “24 ultra-rapid chargers”. See post #1 for documents and info

Reactions: Mrklaw and cezdoc