Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some news here from autocar website, which relates to Ecotricity/gridserve, but suspect could also apply to the joint Moto Tesla/ecotricity projects:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...ens-uk’s-largest-ev-motorway-charging-station

• Moto intends to have 28 sites with ultra-rapid chargers by the end of 2021
  • aims to bring at least six rapid chargers to every Moto station by the end of 2023.

not sure if the Tesla/ecotrcity projects are the 28 ultra-rapid sites to be finished by end 2021...? that would be a pretty quick role out if so...

Some news here from autocar website, which relates to Ecotricity/gridserve, but suspect could also apply to the joint Moto Tesla/ecotricity projects:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...ens-uk’s-largest-ev-motorway-charging-station

• Moto intends to have 28 sites with ultra-rapid chargers by the end of 2021
  • aims to bring at least six rapid chargers to every Moto station by the end of 2023.

not sure if the Tesla/ecotrcity projects are the 28 ultra-rapid sites to be finished by end 2021...? that would be a pretty quick role out if so...
I suppose that Moto will rightly consider the Ecotricity upgrade project to count towards that ultra-rapid target. With Ecotricity replacing the shabby 50kW units with Gridserve Ultra Rapids over the summer then Moto will hit that target.
On top of that, larger installations with Tesla included will hopefully roll out but I think we will be lucky if two or three are complated by the end of the year as Ferrybridge (Q3),Thurrock (Q4) and Birch (Q3) are the only Moto sites with a 2021 completion on the latest update to the ‘coming soon’ Tesla map.

Sounds like Woodall is back on the cards!! Hearing 66 kV double circuit infrastructure is being put in for support of “massive EV charging spot at the services”, towards the end of the year!

Current planning expires in July 2021 so might be some activity soon to keep it active.
Interesting… do you have any source you can quote? The M1 would be so much better served if this can be solved!

Reactions: adsheff
Interesting… do you have any source you can quote? The M1 would be so much better served if this can be solved!
Sorry, can’t on public forum but I’ve verified it (significant power supply going in at Woodall). Tesla wasn’t mentioned by name but the existing 32 stall planning permit on Northbound side make sense, unless someone like a Gridserve is now involved…

It’ll be a monster if they keep make 32 x 250 kW. I take it a 66 kV double circuit (whatever that means) would more than cover it?

I’ll keep the thread updated if I hear more.

Sorry, can’t on public forum but I’ve verified it (significant power supply going in at Woodall). Tesla wasn’t mentioned by name but the existing 32 stall planning permit on Northbound side make sense, unless someone like a Gridserve is now involved…

It’ll be a monster if they keep make 32 x 250 kW.

I’ll keep the thread updated if I hear more.
Great stuff. My recent digging didn’t uncover anything specific other than some local plans adjacent to the motorway that described HV power upgrades. In the time since the original planning application they have seen their number of sales boom so if they had faith in 32 then they surely still do and it will just be Welcome Break and the DNO that dictate whether that many can happen. 🤞🏼

Reactions: CMc1
66kv is uncommon and more then I would expect for one service station. Most towns only get 33kv. As a double circuit is not much more costly then a single circuit to install it makes sence having a double circuit even when not strictly required.

I think something more then the service station is driving the new connection.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and PB1975
According to this, Open Infrastructure Map Kiveton Park substation is the closest which is also 66 kV. Maybe an extension of this line? But could also be plans to upgrade Southbound at the same time.

F3D1D046-70C6-462D-BF1B-6588B16F3BE5.jpeg

Reactions: ringi and PB1975
Plymouth and Brighton both have similar adverts appearing via search engines. Plymouth also mentions a supercharging manager which seems odd; would that roles be necessary so far from HQ or could it be managing a region of SuCs?
5EA310FF-35FD-4214-8B1A-F904D544CBF5.jpeg

🍾Great news! Tesla are recruiting for service centre staff for BRIGHTON…. My bet is they will have chosen a site that can finally solve the Supercharger problem too.
I’ve been balls-deep in planning applications trying to find a clue for the location but haven’t found it yet!
Coincidentally earlier today I added some text for the Brighton entry in the wiki (post #1):

“A Brighton marker has existed for many years (in 2017-18 the target date was "by end 2018"). Many have dreamed only to see their hopes dashed: be wary of being seduced by unconfirmed rumours in this much longed-for location.”

Well the job adverts, at least, aren’t “unconfirmed rumours” so that’s a step in the right direction 😃. Tesla’s target opening date is 2022; were there to be any changes to this it would hint at progress in securing a site in the Brighton area, so it’s one to watch.

🍾Great news! Tesla are recruiting for service centre staff for BRIGHTON…. My bet is they will have chosen a site that can finally solve the Supercharger problem too.
I’ve been balls-deep in planning applications trying to find a clue for the location but haven’t found it yet!

The scope covered by Brighton is very wide. For example Brighton City Airport is actually Shoreham and quite a few potential sites around Lancing, Shoreham etc. A new Ikea being built around there too with great access to A27 but less so to M23/A23.

I’ve searched planning docs for Brighton and councils to the East and West but discovered nothing (except a new 8-bay BP Pulse on the Lancing Seafront!).
So they’re either recruiting first or something is odd. Planning is almost certainly required even if it is just for the new signage.
I think one of the Hove/Shoreham/possibly Worthing retail parks are more likely than Brighton itself.

Sounds like Woodall is back on the cards!! Hearing 66 kV double circuit infrastructure is being put in for support of “massive EV charging spot at the services”, towards the end of the year!

Current planning expires in July 2021 so might be some activity soon to keep it active.
This is awesome news. I hope it comes true, it will be a game changer for my long journeys. Mind you, the new Mansfield site looks like its well placed for a Cardiff/Newcastle run, being almost exactly half way. They kept that quiet - was it even on the 'coming soon' map? Seems to me that Moto, Welcome Break et al. are really shooting themselves in the foot with not allowing Tesla to set up at their services. There will now be 1000s of Tesla drivers diverting to a factory outlet store in Mansfield, and a myriad of hotels etc, and no longer stopping at the traditional services.

On the Tesla map situation - I'd love to speak to the person in charge of the map - it would avoid so much speculation if they'd just put on it what was going on e.g. - planned, awaiting planning, or - infrastructure upgrade underway or something like that. Wouldn't be hard.