Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: petit_bateau
It looks like construction is underway at Moto Burghfield (Reading) Westbound - foundations for what appear to be supercharger stalls are visible in a photo recently posted on the Superchargers app. I count 8 bases with room for more - there were 12 on a 2020 planning application.

IMG_6097.jpg

Even without this addition, the M4 is arguably the best served UK motorway in terms of Superchargers. Something for the rest of the motorway network to aspire to :)

1690532043471.png

Looks like V4's confirmed for Swindon, and 350kW confirmed for V4's;

Planning link for reference:

Location (based on maps from Planning, Design & Access Statement): (51.565100, -1.796700).

Details also added to this thread's wiki post.

That car park is such a pain to get to and from, the roads are regularly blocked through all of December with Outlet Village traffic. Shame they couldn't get a location closer to one of the motorway junctions.

As mentioned above, the M4 is well served for Superchargers so in this case I think some congestion getting in/out will be tolerable. The site looks like it will be a "fill up while you shop" sort of destination - there are alternatives for long distance journeys where travellers don't want to wait for longer than necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Planning link for reference:

Location (based on maps from Planning, Design & Access Statement): (51.565100, -1.796700).

Details also added to this thread's wiki post.

As mentioned above, the M4 is well served for Superchargers so in this case I think some congestion getting in/out will be tolerable. The site looks like it will be a "fill up while you shop" sort of destination - there are alternatives for long distance journeys where travellers don't want to wait for longer than necessary.
It's good to see a decent number of 22kW chargers are planned as well as superchargers, that's about right for the time you'd spend at a designer outlet village.

It's good to see a decent number of 22kW chargers are planned as well as superchargers, that's about right for the time you'd spend at a designer outlet village.
I don't know what car you have but for any Model 3 or Y the most you will get from a 22kw AC charger is 11kw. Most cars wont charge above 7kw. 22kw on board chargers are basically a relic of a pre DC charging era.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
What happened at Moto Exeter?
I've found chargers not working at Moto Exeter several times over the last 3 months. Moto is bemoaning that they can't get enough power to the site. They had wanted to have 56 chargers working last weekend but only had sufficient power for 33 across Tesla and Gridserve. Tesla navigation frequently routes to Darts Farm rather than Moto even when there are unused (and working) chargers at Moto.

I’m Europe most cars are 22kw ac, I’m very happy with 11kw speeds. Future proofing.
I assume you meant "in Continental Europe" not "I'm Europe"?
in which case
Maybe they are due to the prevalence of three phase there I don't know but Swindon is in the UK and here cars are generally limited to 7-11kw. The comment I replied to seemed to be pleased at the notion of charging at 22kw while shopping and I agree that would be a good speed for a shopping trip but since that is not possible for any M3 or MY in the UK, or many other cars, I just wanted to inform him.
Not sure what you mean by "future proofing"? 22kw onboard chargers are a legacy feature no one is starting to fit them in future. 22kw is just the max you can get from a 3 phase supply so that is why they are 22kw not because they think more cars in the future will be 22kw AC capable.

I assume you meant "in Continental Europe" not "I'm Europe"?
in which case
Maybe they are due to the prevalence of three phase there I don't know but Swindon is in the UK and here cars are generally limited to 7-11kw. The comment I replied to seemed to be pleased at the notion of charging at 22kw while shopping and I agree that would be a good speed for a shopping trip but since that is not possible for any M3 or MY in the UK, or many other cars, I just wanted to inform him.
Not sure what you mean by "future proofing"? 22kw onboard chargers are a legacy feature no one is starting to fit them in future. 22kw is just the max you can get from a 3 phase supply so that is why they are 22kw not because they think more cars in the future will be 22kw AC capable.
Nissan Ariya, Porsche Taycan and future Polestar cars can take 22kW AC - yes Swindon is in the UK, but where do you think the cars come from ?

Reactions: GSP and Sean.
Have I missed something ? I thought Gloucester M5-N and M5-S (aka the Tebay owners) had Tesla chargers. I can see that Tebay still does but it seems that Gloucester is going/gone own-brand but are Gridserve at present

Was Gloucester ever Tesla ? Or is this likely to change to become Tesla again ? And ditto for Tebay which still has 12 x Tesla?

Last edited:
Have I missed something ? I thought Gloucester M5-N and M5-S (aka the Tebay owners) had Tesla chargers. I can see that Tebay still does but it seems that Gloucester is going/gone own-brand but are Gridserve at present

Was Gloucester ever Tesla ? Or is this likely to change to become Tesla again ? And ditto for Tebay which still has 12 x Tesla?
No, that site has never had SuperChargers.

Tebay is also getting their own chargers in addition the the 12 Tesla v3, but only 4 Southbound and 12 Northbound. You can cross over so I guess people will.

Reactions: petit_bateau