Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The alternative is to accelerate both the number of sites and the number of stalls coming online so the ratio of cars to chargers doesn’t keep getting worse and worse.
What is the correct ‘stall to car ratio’ and how did you work that out?

We get it some sites are under provisioned no one mentions the sites that are massively over provisioned like Exeter and Rugby.

The reality is getting power to sites is really really expensive and difficult to achieve in a lot of cases and Tesla almost certainly isn’t the bottleneck here, it’s the grid connections.

The queue in some areas for grid connections is over 5 years deep right now, particularly for renewables generation.

Reactions: cliff harris
The alternative is to accelerate both the number of sites and the number of stalls coming online so the ratio of cars to chargers doesn’t keep getting worse and worse.
I would think what matters is the time people spend waiting to start and to complete a charge, not some arbitrary cars/chargers ratio. The two are most certainly not the same.

The SuperCharger network seems healthier than ever to me, far better than it was 4 years ago when I first got a model 3. Typically now there are multiple options and more bays. In 2019 the lack of sites used ot be a pain, queueing to use Barnsley's 2 bay becuase there was little else when heading North before Scotch corner. 2 years ago my trips up the west coast were close run things, just getting sharing chargers at Abington, Gretna on the way back etc. Last year we went to Europe but heard about queues at Tebay, Darts Farm, Gordano etc.

This year has been a breeze, lots of trips down the M4 to Swansea with lots of options on the M4, Tebay being upgraded made trips to Kintyre 1 stop affairs, went to Cornwall and didn't even get to visit Lifton or Darts farm.

Real world experience for me is that it's easier than ever going anywhere in the UK.

Which is what Tesla is doing, and faster than the likes of GridServe or Ionity.

It's also why Tesla have opened up the charging network and putting in V4 stalls. Without doing these things there would be zero new stalls been opened up or installed.

The ratio of cars is pointless as that figure will be going up.

Sure. However the OP's point is that the comment came over as booing rather than cheering an opening announcement. 'Woe is me' proclamations aren't a strong affirmation. At least that's the way I read it.

Dropped in to Lifton today on the way back from Cornwall, so took a few pictures. Looks like they are making good progress 👍.

IMG_20230925_093427.jpg

IMG_20230925_093447.jpg

IMG_20230925_093515.jpg

IMG_20230925_093416.jpg

Also had to use the expanded Exeter facility on the way down - huge improvement. Did feel sorry for the 10 cars in the queue for the Gridserve ones though... 😬

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_093523.jpg
    IMG_20230925_093523.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 42
Also had to use the expanded Exeter facility on the way down - huge improvement. Did feel sorry for the 10 cars in the queue for the Gridserve ones though... 😬

I travelled down on Friday, the Gridserve at Exeter were a joke. Only about 8 of them available, the rest cordoned off, all in use with cars waiting. Meanwhile there were 20+ superchargers free.

Couldn't fault the Tesla charging experience as usual, 38 minutes to go from 8% to 98% - barely enough time to let the doggo do his business, go to toilet myself and have a bacon cob!

Dropped in to Lifton today on the way back from Cornwall, so took a few pictures. Looks like they are making good progress 👍.

View attachment 976961
View attachment 976962
View attachment 976963
View attachment 976965

Interesting there are 4 cabinets for only 4 new charging stalls. Wondering if they're upgrading all the stalls to V3 or V4.

Reactions: jake@astralis.
Interesting there are 4 cabinets for only 4 new charging stalls. Wondering if they're upgrading all the stalls to V3 or V4.

That's a good spot! The new Fraddon site down the road has I think from memory only 2 or 3 cabinets but 8 SCs, so that backs up Lifton getting a complete upgrade. Hopefully in stages though as only 4 new ones available whilst the V2s get replaced will be a bit tight - especially with V4 being open to all :oops:

Owner previously said to me site was doubling… let’s see how it pans out…

Lifton doubling their chargers. Works for an additional 8 Superchargers starts tomorrow. Just been chatting with staff and owner. Says there is need for nearby road closure (assume for additional power). Maybe can be verified with council notice?

View attachment 942410

Reactions: jake@astralis.
Owner previously said to me site was doubling… let’s see how it pans out…
When did you speak to the owner? There was a road closure there and power works running down the car park from the road a couple of months ago for quite a few weeks. Hopefully the pre-work has already been done.

EDIT: Never mind - I just checked the link - May. That fits in with the roadworks I saw.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
New timing bands to replace peak and off-peak only.

Charging last night at Scotch Corner and had timed to start after 8pm as that was after the former peak times of 4-8pm.

I noticed that there were now four time bands as shown below. Whilst dawdling I looked around and noticed that other locations now also have multiple bands.

The Scotch Corner site now has a much broader time/cost spread. I presume this is an experiment to try to flatten peak time queuing at a busy site. Of course the v3 bases have been lying here for two years, and that would halve the queues were they upgraded.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 08.17.33.png

• Informative
Reactions: GT_M3
There were only two rates before, peak (4pm to 8pm) and off peak (the rest of the time) up until about a week or two ago. I am here most weeks and have been planning my journeys accordingly - also identical at Abington.

Four time frames and prices is new.
I have seen this in April, like this screenshot (I took it in Ppril)
Screenshot_20230417-132635.png

maybe bands are better expressed now with time numbers.. but this can be dependant on the regional settings... maybe additional band appeared... but it is the same.
unless misunderstood and you are pointing at more price bands... which is fair enough

Last edited:
I have seen this in April, like this screenshot (I took it in Ppril)
View attachment 977238

maybe bands are better expressed now with time numbers.. but this can be dependant on the regional settings... maybe additional band appeared... but it is the same.
unless misunderstood and you are pointing at more price bands... which is fair enough
Doesn’t that screenshot just show the two rates, 52p peak and 42p off peak - or am I missing something?

New timing bands to replace peak and off-peak only.

Charging last night at Scotch Corner and had timed to start after 8pm as that was after the former peak times of 4-8pm.

I noticed that there were now four time bands as shown below. Whilst dawdling I looked around and noticed that other locations now also have multiple bands.

The Scotch Corner site now has a much broader time/cost spread. I presume this is an experiment to try to flatten peak time queuing at a busy site. Of course the v3 bases have been lying here for two years, and that would halve the queues were they upgraded.

View attachment 977237
There were only two rates before, peak (4pm to 8pm) and off peak (the rest of the time) up until about a week or two ago. I am here most weeks and have been planning my journeys accordingly - also identical at Abington.

Four time frames and prices is new.

Definitely not new. See this post from April…

Rugby and Scotch Corner (and likely others) also have FOUR time based tariffs.

View attachment 925659View attachment 925660