Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t the point of V4 chargers is that they’re open to everyone, and therefore should be positioned accordingly ?
Maybe, I don't really care about that though.

You seem to have made an assumption that the cable won't reach, I'm not sure that's true unless you've tested it. It is however clearly a problem that people take cables from the wrong side and we lose a bay on one side.

Reactions: Andy H
Maybe, I don't really care about that though.

You seem to have made an assumption that the cable won't reach, I'm not sure that's true unless you've tested it. It is however clearly a problem that people take cables from the wrong side and we lose a bay on one side.
I think that layout makes it more likely that people will have to “steal” cables from the “wrong” side - as you put it.

I think that layout makes it more likely that people will have to “steal” cables from the “wrong” side - as you put it.

Seems to be happening a fair bit where charger is side-ways to the parking bay (i.e. a charger on each side of the packing bay). Vehicle with charge port on "wrong" side backs in, takes (nearest) cable - which is wrong side. What they should have done was nose-in and cable from other (correct) stall.

I don't see any indication on ground etc. as to which stall goes with which parking bay. The only indicator (that I am aware of) is that the stall number is on the side facing the car.

Seems to be happening a fair bit where charger is side-ways to the parking bay (i.e. a charger on each side of the packing bay). Vehicle with charge port on "wrong" side backs in, takes (nearest) cable - which is wrong side. What they should have done was nose-in and cable from other (correct) stall.

I don't see any indication on ground etc. as to which stall goes with which parking bay. The only indicator (that I am aware of) is that the stall number is on the side facing the car.
Does it matter ?
Is there a “right” and “wrong” side if it’s open to all ?

Does it matter ?
Is there a “right” and “wrong” side if it’s open to all ?

Of course it matters if It reduces the number of available stalls! I can't see you being very relaxed about it if you end up in a queue when you can see there are unused stalls that are only unavailable because someone didn't understand the charger/space arrangement.

Do the new longer cables allow a Tesla to also use the wrong stall to compensate? Maybe go in forwards and you can then pick the one on the other side?

I seem to remember this being already possible even with the short cables at some sites (Darts Farm) given relaxed dimensions on the bays. This still doesn't fix the problem of course, you end up with one unusable cable at the end of the row (unless there's a nominally non-charging parking bay next to it)
For the site we've just been talking about, it appears Tesla were just installing equipment where the site developer had already laid out and paved the spaces, with "EV" in the pattern of coloured bricks, and Tesla didn't have much choice over the matter. I wonder if the width of the spaces is less than Tesla's norm as a result.

But of course it's fair comment about the many other V4 sites with ordinary tarmac and lines laid by Tesla doing the whole job where they could do something like that but haven't so far.

Of course it matters if It reduces the number of available stalls! I can't see you being very relaxed about it if you end up in a queue when you can see there are unused stalls that are only unavailable because someone didn't understand the charger/space arrangement.
It only reduces the number of available stalls If the rightmost bay is used and there is no possibility of parking on the other side of the charger, otherwise a Tesla could drive in forwards and use the “wrong” side on the V4s.

Last edited:
Do the new longer cables allow a Tesla to also use the wrong stall to compensate? Maybe go in forwards and you can then pick the one on the other side?

I seem to remember this being already possible even with the short cables at some sites (Darts Farm) given relaxed dimensions on the bays. This still doesn't fix the problem of course, you end up with one unusable cable at the end of the row (unless there's a nominally non-charging parking bay next to it)

For the site we've just been talking about, it appears Tesla were just installing equipment where the site developer had already laid out and paved the spaces, with "EV" in the pattern of coloured bricks, and Tesla didn't have much choice over the matter. I wonder if the width of the spaces is less than Tesla's norm as a result.

But of course it's fair comment about the many other V4 sites with ordinary tarmac and lines laid by Tesla doing the whole job where they could do something like that but haven't so far.
you likely could... given that the bays you are parked are next to the unused stalls.

imagine situation. you have 3 stalls:
1, 2 and 3.
tesla is parked in stall 1 and charging from stall 1. non tesla parked at stall 3 but charging from stall 2.
you arrive, you see that bay stall 3 is empty. but bay occupied. at the same time you see that bay 2 is empty but stall occupied.
check mate

It avoids the whole stealing cables from the wrong side issue though, so that's better to me. Cable will easily reach either corner of a car, just need a big spike in front to stop stupid Porsche or Audi getting too close for side charging points.
Where’s dat spike?

IMG_2008.jpeg

you likely could... given that the bays you are parked are next to the unused stalls.

imagine situation. you have 3 stalls:
1, 2 and 3.
tesla is parked in stall 1 and charging from stall 1. non tesla parked at stall 3 but charging from stall 2.
you arrive, you see that bay stall 3 is empty. but bay occupied. at the same time you see that bay 2 is empty but stall occupied.
check mate
Generally there are more than 3 stalls in a row. It is only a problem if the rightmost bay is occupied by someone using the “wrong” charger AND it is not possible to park on the other side of the rightmost charger.

Generally there are more than 3 stalls in a row. It is only a problem if the rightmost bay is occupied by someone using the “wrong” charger AND it is not possible to park on the other side of the rightmost charger.
yeah...

there are more than 3. but it is irrelevant if they are occupied. I can write you this in different way: "iagine, there are 8 stalls (like in Woodall), stalls 1 - 6 are occupied by teslas. stall 7 bay is empty but cable is used by [insert other EV here] which is parked on stall 8 bay." - Does it change anything?!

and yeah, majority of sites have not availability to park on the another or right side of the outmost charger. or even it has, cable length is not enough to reach tesla's port which is on the rear left.

yeah...

there are more than 3. but it is irrelevant if they are occupied. I can write you this in different way: "iagine, there are 8 stalls (like in Woodall), stalls 1 - 6 are occupied by teslas. stall 7 bay is empty but cable is used by [insert other EV here] which is parked on stall 8 bay." - Does it change anything?!

and yeah, majority of sites have not availability to park on the another or right side of the outmost charger. or even it has, cable length is not enough to reach tesla's port which is on the rear left.
I doubt the car in bay 7 would stay long. Woodall is not open to non Teslas 😁

• Funny
Reactions: busterboy
Perhaps they like surprises 🤣

To be honest, I’m more inclined to suggest the coming soon map does more harm than good given the number of proposed sites that never happen and almost all of the proposed opening dates shift to the right.
I agree: I do wonder what the point of the coming soon markers is, especially as most European countries now have more-than-basic coverage for long distance travel.

13 out of 16 UK sites that have opened so far this year had coming soon markers, and almost all were opened in the target date quarter (but granted a lot of those had previous target dates that had moved). I think that's a better hit rate than previous years but there are currently ~9 sites without markers known to be under construction, 4 under construction but behind target opening dates and 3 "Q3 2023" sites with no known construction underway. Given that the markers haven't had an extensive refresh since February that's arguably not bad going but as time goes on Tesla's map is once again getting less "reliable".

: I do wonder what the point of the coming soon markers is,

It is, as it's always been, a bit of marketing: "look, we're building loads more superchargers, life is going to get better, ignore those doomsayers who say there's not enough charging".

They could just say "we're spending $$$ on more charging", but the map gives much more of a statement of intent. In the early days, the coming soon markers showed an intent for a national network rather than what might have been assumed to be charging only on selected corridors; nowadays it shows an intent for both increasing density in established areas and to go on and finish the more remote areas, in case you thought they weren't going to do either of those things ("OK there's lots of superchargers now, but there will never be any in Wales", or "OK, there's superchargers everywhere but before long they'll be overcrowded").

It's imperfect of course, and misleading if people take it too literally, but a necessary tool for Tesla salespeople, and I think as owners we'd rather have it despite the imperfections than nothing at all.

Reactions: cezdoc and Adopado
Newmarket / studland retail park superchargers as of today. Looks much the same as the photo from a few weeks ago.
View attachment 987846
Looks to me very much like side of bay is the “preferred” V4 pedestal position for new UK sites:

- Tottenham
- Reading West
- Trentham

Coming soon V4 sites too:
- Newmarket
- Luton
- Fraddon

Preston South bases look rectangular / V4-esque but nothing placed (yet?) but back to the classic end of bay there as with 3 out of 4 bays at Whitburn