Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a supercharge.info editor and part of the dev team I just wanted to comment on this.

Synchronising the data is not easy as Tesla has multiple different sources of the supercharger data. Tesla supercharger map Web site, Tesla supercharger find us page, tesla supercharger API, in car supercharger data, tesla app supercharger data, etc. These can and often are all be different (shockingly bad from tesla as we all think as a world leading technology company) and some are more easy time to synchronise with than others. There is no simple 'synchronise' the data solution.

There are nearly 6000 locations now and data is sometimes wrong there. We rely on user corrections to inform us of these.
Thanks for all you do @ supercharge.info. The majority of our Supercharger data in the WattsUp app comes from your site.

As you'll know, there is UK legislation that public chargepoint operators such as Tesla (running a network of open sites), will have to provide live, dynamic data. This statutory instrument mandates availability by exactly one year after the regulations come into force (24th November 2023).

It will mean better data for you, us, and everyone else who wants to see improved information for EV drivers!

In the case of Supercharge.info this has been raised in its forum discussion; a similar debate was had when V3 started appearing. As I understand it, it's hard to do because it requires changes to the database structure. Previously, a filter for max power was added which allowed V3 to be differentiated from V2, but that won't work for the current V4 stalls which I assume are powered by V3 cabinets.

That said, they managed to add a checkbox for Tesla Only / Tesla + Other EV's so it evidently isn't impossible. It may be that all open-to-all sites are ultimately swapped to V4 stalls so the issue may go away (something similar happened when dual CCS/Type 2 cables started being added to V2 sites - eventually all sites were done so the need to flag it disappeared).

For Tesla it would be easy to update the app instructions but I suspect most folk would prefer to use contactless to initiate a charge (I know I would, based on bitter experience with other charging networks) so the set of people (a) using the Tesla app and (b) reading and acting on the charging etiquette instructions will, no doubt, be pretty small.
I have just been informed by the developer of the App “Superchargers for Tesla” that there will be “support for V4 superchargers” in the next update.

Reactions: Sean. and cezdoc
Should be passing that way tomorrow so will check out the state of play.
Unfortunately still not active. Fencing has been taken down though…

IMG_0140 Medium.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
I was there last weekend. The concrete bases were in but the ground works were not fully completed (backfilling and tarmaccing required). I expect this would be now completed.

3 cabinets were on site but no sign of the 12 tombstones.

Edit: the transformer has been in for a few weeks. Tesla say Q1, they could be ready before then if things get connects up quickly.
Stopped by tonight on the way home. Tarmaccing now done. Bases are finished to around an inch above the tarmac, so really leads me to think this site will be v4.

IMG_0159 Medium.jpeg

Tombstones are behind cardboard in the centre compound…

IMG_0158 Medium.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc
Smells like…if recent evidence is anything to go by all new SuC sites will be V4 and open to all.
1700735251250.png

Not on the app for non-Tesla yet but I agree, surely this will be open to all (it may be that contactless works already for non-Teslas).
The first Scottish supercharger with V4 stalls. It's a great location and the local amenities look to be useful, but if I'm travelling through I'll be likely to skip it in favour of Eurocentral or Edinburgh SC due to Heartlands only having 4 stalls.

M5 Frankley and M42 Hopwood services in Birmingham are getting lots of new chargers next year. Superchargers included.
According to a post on the Tesla UK Public FB group there are 20 new superchargers going in at Welcome Break Hopwood Park services. Looks legit: there's a photo of Tesla charging cabinets that have just arrived in a delivery lorry.
I've also read that groundworks are starting at the Gretna A74 (M) services, reportedly for additional supercharger stalls too.

If both are true that's quite a turnaround: I don't think there has been any new supercharger construction at a Welcome Break service area since 2018 (since November 2018 only a handful of previously-built stalls have been commissioned, including the legendary Fleet Southbound).

Reactions: CMc1 and Sean.
According to a post on the Tesla UK Public FB group there are 20 new superchargers going in at Welcome Break Hopwood Park services. Looks legit: there's a photo of Tesla charging cabinets that have just arrived in a delivery lorry.
I've also read that groundworks are starting at the Gretna A74 (M) services, reportedly for additional supercharger stalls too.

If both are true that's quite a turnaround: I don't think there has been any new supercharger construction at a Welcome Break service area since 2018 (since November 2018 only a handful of previously-built stalls have been commissioned, including the legendary Fleet Southbound).
Isn't it the case that the new rules demand competition? I am sure WB would love to just install their own chargers but I don't think they are allowed (exclusively )are they? Does not explain why Tesla specifically. I would not chose to compete with supercharger prices if I had the option 🤣
not that they have any their at all yet I don't think

• Funny
Reactions: m3gt2

Tesla aren't installing anything new at the Gretna services, they are putting in a large number of chargers at the retail village just south of the services.