Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see some new sites in Lincolnshire. This area is like "no man's land" at the minute for SC. Grantham at Gonerby Services are the only ones in the county.

View attachment 1008219
(The blue symbolises the area without an SC, not the county of Lincolnshire)

The closest are Grantham (Outskirts of Lincs on A1), Newark (Notts), Kings Lynn (Norfolk).

Even the 2 proposed voting winners are quite a ways out. Hull is Yorkshire, Peterborough is Cambs. So from my reckoning Lincolnshire is an entire county without any SC. I'm sure there are others, but I find it frustrating when places like Nottingham get 2 sites in the same city, and other counties go (mostly) unserviced.

Oh well, I'll move on with my life now. Time to get off of my Friday morning soapbox.

I get it but also super chargers are meant to enable long distance travel.

Having lived in Lincolnshire, it’s very rare you’d actually travel through it given there are no ‘trunk’ roads in the core of the county, just the A1 on the west boarder.

If you are traveling 100 miles north, south or west, you’d almost always go across and pick up the A1 at some point which is well served with Grantham, Newark, Blythe and Ferrybridge which boarder if the county.

Plus, other chargers are available.

Speaking of no mans land, the two places that are completely sparse and where I spend a lot of my time are the North East of England (nothing north of the Tyne until Adderstone, which is the arse end of nowhere and probably closer to Scotland than Newcastle) and South West London.

Wimbledon and Kingston were meant to be ready Q4 2023 but that's been and gone.

1705053390506.png
1705053433261.png

Boston, Lincoln and Grimsby ought to have SCs
I'd also add Skegness to this list, just for those that travel goodness knows how far so they can say theyve been to "the original" Butlin's (apparently)...

All the east part, especially north east is sad.

You only have Ferrybridge services, then Scotch corner (god no...) and then Newcastle.

One SC in Middlesbrough would be nice for a change. but then again, M-boro is a place where cash machines dispense 5 pound notes, so I do not see it happening.

Hell, even places in Midlands like Tamworth has been in plans for the last 2 years now. so if new deal with MOTO is there, it might move it a bit?
Too true, you only really notice it when you look at the map as a whole. In the car it will navigate and as long as you can charge when you need to, you kind of ignore the deficiency of chargers... We can all complain, but I don't anyone is listening 😃

It has been noted by Traffic officers that average speed in any direction from Grimsby is 10 mph higher than towards it...
Luckily its not Grimsby where I live... But I think it is true of all 3 of those locations...

There is a reason we have the interceptors, and the highest speeding rate in the UK - because everyone can't get out quick enough 😂

• Funny
Reactions: yessuz
That area in the North East is a massive space without a SC, though I imagine the population is much lower.

The areas west of the M5 heading to South Wales and the whole of Somerset, Devon and Cornwall are also big areas without a SC nearby... Again, population is likely to be lower and I would cheekily suggest there are more Tractors than Teslas being used in these areas! 😉 😆
1705069801158.png

and...
1705069876296.png

Those areas look fine to me, it’s mostly just empty fields. If you are traveling back towards the rest of the country where range is going to be an issue, you’ll inevitably pick up one of the main roads with plenty of coverage.

The north east (and west) however is well justified in having a moan IMO. The A1(m) north of Scotch corner and the M6 north of Stoke is a bit rubbish at the moment.

Speaking of no mans land, the two places that are completely sparse and where I spend a lot of my time are the North East of England (nothing north of the Tyne until Adderstone, which is the arse end of nowhere and probably closer to Scotland than Newcastle) and South West London.

Wimbledon and Kingston were meant to be ready Q4 2023 but that's been and gone.

View attachment 1008224View attachment 1008225
Actually my experience is that the east coast route actually works way better (Adderstone and Washington as two key points), with Gretna being a real weak point on the west coast. The new developments at Preston, Gretna and Hamilton are getting that sorted tho'

Those areas look fine to me, it’s mostly just empty fields. If you are traveling back towards the rest of the country where range is going to be an issue, you’ll inevitably pick up one of the main roads with plenty of coverage.

The north east (and west) however is well justified in having a moan IMO. The A1(m) north of Scotch corner and the M6 north of Stoke is a bit rubbish at the moment.
the PRIMARY purpose of SC is to charge up while traveling as main charge is at your destination/home.

therefore if location is EMPTY then it actually makes even more sense to have SC as you might be stuck middle of nowhere without options

• Disagree
Reactions: qwickshot
the PRIMARY purpose of SC is to charge up while traveling as main charge is at your destination/home.

therefore if location is EMPTY then it actually makes even more sense to have SC as you might be stuck middle of nowhere without options
Yes…I was referring to the screenshot of Cornwall and Devon where there are SCs along the only major trunk road already.

If you are traveling any meaningful distance in and out of those counties, you’ll end up on that trunk road. All the roads leading to ‘major’ towns in the area feed into this trunk road.

Pleas tell my why superchargers are needed in the middle of Cornish fields or in some B roads leading to tiny villages. I’m all ears…

In fact there's a very good argument to be made that SuC density should be higher in areas that are sparsely populated, but connecting areas that aren't.
whilst true in the past, going forward I think it will become more important to have SuC access near homes for those that don't have off road parking so cannot charge at home.

Will also be important today for EV taxis and of course for eventual RoboTaxi services in the future.

whilst true in the past, going forward I think it will become more important to have SuC access near homes for those that don't have off road parking so cannot charge at home.

Will also be important today for EV taxis and of course for eventual RoboTaxi services in the future.
What do you mean "in the past"? Is this not relevant today? Will be not be relevant in the future?

You are treating it as if it's a zero-sum game and it isn't. People will still want to travel.