Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got our Y in December. First of all it is a lovely car and I'm sure you would think the same but the removal of USS and the sheer cheek Tesla have with some of their decisions that impact customers means I would definitely delay your purchase or even not bother.

I'm a newbie to the Tesla world and tbh didn't take much notice of them or their cars.

Now having read lots about them and their treatment of customers I find it quite disturbing.

UK customers paying for FSD is probably my favourite one. Crazy!

I have driven cars all sizes, including trucks, without sensors and never hit anything while parking. I really do not get all the drama, you still have a rearview camera, more then I ever had before getting my S in 2014.
True. My son's M3 came without sensors and he was really upset about it for the first couple of weeks. Now it's not an issue anymore. The benefits of the M3 over his old car greatly outweigh the drawbacks

I have driven cars all sizes, including trucks, without sensors and never hit anything while parking. I really do not get all the drama, you still have a rearview camera, more then I ever had before getting my S in 2014.
Try driving more than 20 miles in rain. Or 10 if the road has been salted. The camera is useless. And the fact that you have no rear wiper is just so Tesla.

Reactions: SPF
To be honest, I am not bothered about the USS as long as I have the cameras. However, I cannot say the same thing about the wife, she will need lots of lessons. The functionality will be replaced, sooner or later. I am not cancelling based only on the USS. Respectfully to everyone, I am used to drive cars without USS (or at least used to be) and without cameras. I am sure I will make it. (he says nervously biting his finger nails knowing that he's got a very stubborn wife who refuses to learn). lol

Reactions: WyoDude
To be honest, I am not bothered about the USS as long as I have the cameras. However, I cannot say the same thing about the wife, she will need lots of lessons. The functionality will be replaced, sooner or later. I am not cancelling based only on the USS. Respectfully to everyone, I am used to drive cars without USS (or at least used to be) and without cameras. I am sure I will make it. (he says nervously biting his finger nails knowing that he's got a very stubborn wife who refuses to learn). lol
Like I’m looking in a mirror!

While it's 100% a personal decision based on your situation and preferences, here's my niche take that ultimately led me to keep my MYP reservation:

Wife and I were not looking for a new car, much less a friggin' $50k+ Tesla. We've been a single car family for about a year now and really had no plans to get a second one until office visits once again become mandatory, our family expands, etc. Without going to ask her right now, I can safely assume the January price reduction was the driving force behind our "spur of the moment" purchase. That's to say, we knew we'd need another car eventually, so we jumped in when the opportunity presented itself.

Coming from a 2012 Honda Civic with no bells and whistles to speak of, the absence of USS, EAP, FSD, etc. wasn't a big red flag to us - the term "upgrade" even without all those features barely describes the jump. Would I like my really really expensive smart EV to be as smart as it was a year ago (or as smart as some other cheaper cars)? Obviously. More importantly (to us), is it worth passing up on the $13,000 price cut in addition to the $7,500 tax incentive ($20,500 total)? Hell to the naw.

TLDR
  • Having a second car is nice/convenient
  • Old car has no features remotely close to any Tesla
  • Tesla will potentially come through as promised and add basic "smart" functionality to cars w/o USS
  • Expanding family
  • Massive upfront savings during small timeframe

While it's 100% a personal decision based on your situation and preferences, here's my niche take that ultimately led me to keep my MYP reservation:

Wife and I were not looking for a new car, much less a friggin' $50k+ Tesla. We've been a single car family for about a year now and really had no plans to get a second one until office visits once again become mandatory, our family expands, etc. Without going to ask her right now, I can safely assume the January price reduction was the driving force behind our "spur of the moment" purchase. That's to say, we knew we'd need another car eventually, so we jumped in when the opportunity presented itself.

Coming from a 2012 Honda Civic with no bells and whistles to speak of, the absence of USS, EAP, FSD, etc. wasn't a big red flag to us - the term "upgrade" even without all those features barely describes the jump. Would I like my really really expensive smart EV to be as smart as it was a year ago (or as smart as some other cheaper cars)? Obviously. More importantly (to us), is it worth passing up on the $13,000 price cut in addition to the $7,500 tax incentive ($20,500 total)? Hell to the naw.

TLDR
  • Having a second car is nice/convenient
  • Old car has no features remotely close to any Tesla
  • Tesla will potentially come through as promised and add basic "smart" functionality to cars w/o USS
  • Expanding family
  • Massive upfront savings during small timeframe
Correct, at the end of the day, this is personal preference. Whatever you want you can do. We come from 2 ICE cars.
We had an Arteon, petrol, 2 litres, automatic (brilliant car) - Since I came from holiday in Europe, last year in August, I only done 1000 miles and had to sell it as it was collecting dust.
We HAVE a Smart for four, 0.9, decent enough for town although I hate it. The idea of Tesla came after my wife drove it and she fell in love with it. The Smart will go away, once Tesla is here.
I am working from home and when I need to travel, if the weather is nice I will take my bike (z650) and floor it to Ipswich or Colchester or wherever I need to go. When the weather is bad and the car is at home, I can take the Tesla. In my mind makes sense.

And coming back to the USS - they will be made available, with a future update (might be 1 month or 1 year) but they will come. My question to EM would be, why did they disabled them even in the cars that they were physically fitted with them.

But it is a personal preference, nobody can advise anyone to buy or not to buy. Too expensive to get involved.

Also FYI for anyone concerned they WILL refund the £200, didn’t even need to bring in material change to the contract..
You must be the first one to get a refund. Forum is littered with folks saying they wouldn’t refund the order fee. I’ve tried at least 5 times hoping to get a different rep, but everyone of them said the same thing…that order fees are 100% non-refundable.

Intrigued by how you made it happen…

If i had to chose between loosing USS or the power boot, it'd be bye bye power boot every time. Unless you have a disability that really gives you a problem opening/closing the boot 'making your life much harder' seems like an exaggeration. Power boot is cool but not life changing.

I had a new order but cancelled it and bought a nearly new instead. USS was one factor. If that's not an option for you I'd cancel and wait at least a few months to see how things play out with HW4, vision USS replacement etc. At least take out some uncertainty.

You must be the first one to get a refund. Forum is littered with folks saying they wouldn’t refund the order fee. I’ve tried at least 5 times hoping to get a different rep, but everyone of them said the same thing…that order fees are 100% non-refundable.

Intrigued by how you made it happen…
When anyone is calling, gives their RN, the person on the other end takes notes, they are bound to do so, contractual and obvs reasons. My experience with them has been ok-ish for the most part, to the point that I even tried to bribe them (which worked ... oops). But every time you call, notes are done on the account and they can be visible from the moment they picked up. Phone number recognition. And if you call with withheld number, you will need the RN and they will see the notes.
So every tome you call, you get another note. And from personal experience, they can even give you black or white balls.... imagine receiving a few black ones.

If i had to chose between loosing USS or the power boot, it'd be bye bye power boot every time. Unless you have a disability that really gives you a problem opening/closing the boot 'making your life much harder' seems like an exaggeration. Power boot is cool but not life changing.

I had a new order but cancelled it and bought a nearly new instead. USS was one factor. If that's not an option for you I'd cancel and wait at least a few months to see how things play out with HW4, vision USS replacement etc. At least take out some uncertainty.
Yeah, but the point is that once you update the car software, you will still lose the USS functionality, am I not correct ?

You're in the same boat ? Gosh... I feel sorry for ourselves. Dreading the moment when wife goes all by herself to work and parks the car. Mind you, she is wearing glasses and her eyesight is a bit dodgy. Tesla body repair shop, here I come. Day 1... first scoff. Going aside, do you think they will enable Tesla Vision anytime soon ?
I’ve not told her yet, but will before car arrives 😀. I think having the three cameras (for reversing) will help soften the blow - and the promise of Tesla Vision ‘coming soon’.