Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the switch to Octopus (non Go tariff initially) had taken place the meter install was only a couple of weeks later. There was another short delay before they realised they should be transferring me onto GO and using the smart meter readings but all has been well. You've probably chosen a referral to use for your £50 ... but there's one available from me if you need it.

Appreciate the advice and offer, had a couple of referrals sent through already and I went with the first.

Anyone switched to Octopus that didn't already have a smart meter? If so, roughly how long did the process take and were you able to join the Go tariff with relative ease?

Location is probably the most important factor, the progress in the south seems much faster and generally more consistent good outcomes.

Where I am we are considered 'Eastern', I migrated to Octopus in July, it took some persuading to get an appointment for the smart meter install but I got the invitation to book an appointemnt in September and at that time the earliest date I could select was in early October.

The install went smoothly but the work order was only for the electric meter for some reason so the gas meter install didn't happen that day. Not a big deal frankly as it was the electric I needded for the Go tariff.

I also had to chase them to get the smart meter properly linked to their systems which took about 4 days after the install. From there it has all worked perfectly.

Had to chase to get a new date for the gas meter butthat has now beed set for middle of next month.

As long as you go into this process with the understanding that it is not instant and may take some chasing then it is all good.

Do be prepared to escalate past the first line support people though as they mostly just try to deflect the problems rather than solve them.

Second line support are excellent though.

Octopus/AES are fully booked in my area for smart meter upgrades until at least last full week of the year.

I've been with Octopus for 3 years now and a few more weeks deciding on most appropriate tarrif is no big deal. Octopus Go is not a clear winner for my current tarrif due to big increase in standing charge on Go. Need to run the sums when I get more usage data.

Having been on Octopus Go for 3 weeks now I made use of the excellent Octopus API to pull down all my usage data along with the rates for their Agile tariff so I could do a comparison.

It is looking like Agile is going to be a better fit for our useage pattern than Go, which was a pleasant surprise.

Works out to be 20% cheaper for us, so I'd suggest it is worth a look.

I can also help with the REST API calls if anyone is having trouble getting things to work for them, but using Excel, for example, does make it a pretty easy process so I'd suggest starting there if you want to give it a go...

Reactions: Roy W.
It is looking like Agile is going to be a better fit for our useage pattern than Go, which was a pleasant surprise.

Works out to be 20% cheaper for us, so I'd suggest it is worth a look.

Over what period did you compare it? The historical data I saw suggested that the tariff is (typically) more expensive in winter than summer - which makes sense, but is unhelpful if you have solar and so will be drawing maximum from the grid in the expensive months.

Over what period did you compare it? The historical data I saw suggested that the tariff is (typically) more expensive in winter than summer - which makes sense, but is unhelpful if you have solar and so will be drawing maximum from the grid in the expensive months.

That isn't an easy question to answer as obviously I have limited data to work with at the moment, but what I've done is to use the historic Agile rates and compared that to the distribution curve of my usage over a typical day, so the analysis is synthetic of course, but on the otherhand my usage distribution doen't shift much as my primary heating is on gas with only a very small amount of additional electricty used over the winter.

I can see the problem with winter and solar, and while the winter rates can be higher, the difference isn't huge.

In the end though it is all about how much you use and when. We don't use much during the peak rate period so without any changes we are pretty well aligned with the Agile tariff. Also I am not a high mileage driver these days and on the one long trip I do each week there is a convenient Supercharger site near the end of my return trip so a brief stiop there means I don't have to charge each night of the week.

Everyone is different, what works for me may well not work for others, but I was't expecting to see a difference that big so I'd still suggest that it may be worth running the numbers and see how it works out...

• Helpful
Reactions: S.Badger
I’m thinking I may go with EDF Go Electric as it’s only very marginally more expensive than our current cowboys Scottish Power but then you have the half price evenings and weekends to factor in so we can switch a lot of our routines to the off peak times. Does anyone have any experience with this Go Electric tariff?

I’m thinking I may go with EDF Go Electric as it’s only very marginally more expensive than our current cowboys Scottish Power but then you have the half price evenings and weekends to factor in so we can switch a lot of our routines to the off peak times. Does anyone have any experience with this Go Electric tariff?
I switched to it. Once I had the smart meter installed, almost immediately I was on the off-peak tariff. Don’t yet have the car to test it with, but seems to do what it says on the tin.

Reactions: Roy W.
I have EDF Go Electric as I already had a smart meter from EDF and use a lot of electric heating, so the longer off peak and all weekends makes it better suited to my use.
Only problem so far is the meter reader turning up the other day to say the "smart" meters are having problems in my area, so I'm not certain it's actually working correctly and monitoring actual use times...

I'm with Octopus on their Go tariff, but I've been keeping track of my usage and modelling the costs against EDF, Bulb and the Octopus Agile tariff.

EDF Go looks very attractive with the long off-peak periods, but the higher unit costs bring them very close to Octopus Go for our balance of usage and if you were actually charging your car every night (which we do not) then you'd probably find that EDF are actually more expensive than Octopus.