Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Announced yes, but where’s the final bill to be seen? Hasn’t stopped all the papers going on a future outburst about it of course.

Plus still very much hangs upons the wording chosen by the UN GRVA by ~2026. Interesting that a timescale of 1–2 years was given for the authorising body to reach the point of its first permitted self-driving operator licence.

Announced yes, but where’s the final bill to be seen? Hasn’t stopped all the papers going on a future outburst about it of course.

Plus still very much hangs upons the wording chosen by the UN GRVA by ~2026. Interesting that a timescale of 1–2 years was given for the authorising body to reach the point of its first permitted self-driving operator licence.
Yeah sadly while this is making some progress, you know its still a distant future item. UN changes in 2026, some company to be ready to submit for approval, 2 year no doubt approval process.

Still feels like a close to 2030 kind of deal when trying to be realistic about this. Should just arrive around the same time they start using teleporters in the US rendering the car obsolete...

• Funny
Reactions: Pink Duck
Yeah sadly while this is making some progress, you know its still a distant future item. UN changes in 2026, some company to be ready to submit for approval, 2 year no doubt approval process.

Still feels like a close to 2030 kind of deal when trying to be realistic about this. Should just arrive around the same time they start using teleporters in the US rendering the car obsolete...
Yeah matter transporters are where I get all Bones McCoy about technology. I’ll keep my atoms where I can see them, thanks.

Tesla whistleblower report that MiC cars are missing vital chip needed for FSD [Tesla Files #2] Tesla Sold 1.2 Million Cars Without a Key FSD Chip Since Q4 2021
Yeah I noticed that at the time. During COVID they removed the redundancy sensor from the steering rack to improve production throughput.

Does this mean my 2019 model is worth £50k again? No, it means that if absolutely necessary they'll retrofit those with FSD .
Is there a way to find out if your individual car is affected ?

Tesla whistleblower report that MiC cars are missing vital chip needed for FSD [Tesla Files #2] Tesla Sold 1.2 Million Cars Without a Key FSD Chip Since Q4 2021
The article makes a lot of assumptions. Like it would require the chip to go to Level 3, but FSD is not sold as a Level 3 product. (It is Level 2, so I don't think there is a requirement for redundancy.)

Also, in estimating the costs to "remediate" the issue they quote the cost of replacing the entire steering rack, when it is likely Tesla could just replace the control board/ECU on the existing racks at a much lower expense.

The article makes a lot of assumptions. Like it would require the chip to go to Level 3, but FSD is not sold as a Level 3 product. (It is Level 2, so I don't think there is a requirement for redundancy.)

Also, in estimating the costs to "remediate" the issue they quote the cost of replacing the entire steering rack, when it is likely Tesla could just replace the control board/ECU on the existing racks at a much lower expense.
Explained in detail in the article though:

this “backup” chip, which is said to be indispensable in the “legal requirements for Level 3 and 4 autonomy”. Tesla began removing the extra chip from its steering rack in November 2021 and the last time one could confirm whether Tesla was still doing this was in March 2023. Given a 7.1% FSD take rate during that period, at least 145,080 vehicles were sold without the extra chip needed to eventually have Level 3 or 4 autonomy.

To fix this would cost Tesla around $2,380 as the entire steering rack would have to be replaced (the chips are glued into the rack). This would amount to around $345 million* in recall costs. If Tesla actually achieved Level 3 or 4 autonomy and all models sold during this “chip-removal” period needed a fix, the recall bill would be $1.3 billion. The class-action lawsuits in the US alone could eclipse that amount.

Yeah I noticed that at the time. During COVID they removed the redundancy sensor from the steering rack to improve production throughput.

Does this mean my 2019 model is worth £50k again? No, it means that if absolutely necessary they'll retrofit those with FSD .
They’ll never retro fit them because as the article says it’s required for level 3, FSD Supervised is level 2 where it’s going to stay. Especially for cars without the required hardware.

Reactions: MP3Mike
During washup only bills with all party support are considered, because there isn't time for debate. All the others are ditched. A new government may restart the process (but is unlikely to for bills originally proposed by their opponents).
Not really been following this. Are self driving cars supported by all parties or actually they are a right wing idea? 😉