Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's a moot point, but I'd cancel the FSD and accept that when it's actually available it'll cost more - but that could be a few years away. Horses for courses though.
Probably when you're ready to sell your Model 3:eek:
UK will likely be a couple of years after US, looking at the currently available FSD features compared to the US

Reactions: goRt
Agreed, but if that is 6 months it would be handy at resale time ... but if it is "tomorrow" then it may be at a lower price than LR AWD cost originally (to not compete with P-) and that won't be great ...

I was originally going to order the LR AWD but it disappeared so I went with the P- at the revised price.

If they re-introduced the LR AWD then they’d either have to do so at a lower price than it’s original price or put the P model price back up. If the former I’d probably edit my order and go with the LR AWD for extra range and lower insurance costs, plus a towbar which I would find useful for bikes. However I think that’s unlikely and Tesla will more likely increase the P price to create some differentiation. Margin being king.

So right now I’m happy enough with the P- it’s pretty decent value compared to the original P pricing.

I was originally going to order the LR AWD but it disappeared so I went with the P- at the revised price.

If they re-introduced the LR AWD then they’d either have to do so at a lower price than it’s original price or put the P model price back up. If the former I’d probably edit my order and go with the LR AWD for extra range and lower insurance costs, plus a towbar which I would find useful for bikes. However I think that’s unlikely and Tesla will more likely increase the P price to create some differentiation. Margin being king.

So right now I’m happy enough with the P- it’s pretty decent value compared to the original P pricing.

I think the LR AWD will have the same range as the P lite (assuming both are on 18” Aeros), but the insurance is definitely more.

The person I spoke to at Tesla Cribbs (Bristol) said the same to me at the weekend.
I initially thought that would be the case but I’ve read about people in the USA ordering a P, received an AWD and then it gets sorted st a service centre via and update, no physical changes. I’m not sure that the showroom staff know a lot more than some owners. Either way, I expect the difference will be marginal.

Reactions: J1mbo
The person I spoke to at Tesla Cribbs (Bristol) said the same to me at the weekend.

I've ordered a LR AWD and I was told the electric motors were identical (as-in PMSRM (Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance Motor) on the rear axle and an Induction motor on the front) but the software unlock makes them run less efficiently, even when not "pushed" to peak power output.

Of course, I have no idea if any of this is true, but I was told the LR AWD has identical motors as the P (and now the same wheels, tyres etc. as the P-) but a longer range due to the firmware/software differences.

Reactions: MrMajic
Although interestingly range being reported at Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com is the same for both P- AWD and LR AWD when both have 18" Aeros...

3-mi-526.png

PS also interesting to note the LR/18" aero that stopped being produced in Mar 2019 had a longer range than the new one. Would possibly fit with how they've changed things here.

EDIT: although a helpful poster on the Model 3 Reservation Facebook Group has also pointed out the previous LR model was an RWD version which might account for the difference...

Last edited:
That LR/18" Aero hasn't "stopped being produced in March 2019". It's the RWD LR (which you can still order off-menu in continental Europe and the US), and there was no need to recertify it, that's all.
Ah OK - just I saw 'production end date' which made me think they'd stopped making it. All seemed a bit unclear as some Tesla staff were saying LR was going to go for all markets, not just RHD.

They've been saying that for years, and it is indeed out of the configurator everywhere (it's an off menu configuration). But they stuffed a few ships to Europe full of them in April nonetheless.

It’s the configuration that refuses to die, partly because it really is the longest range configuration — the AWD/P- versions have the same battery but schlepping that extra motor around does have its cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.