Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ED01EF29-7E53-4DD7-867D-B77A71DDE3CA.jpeg
Pretty sure it was 348 miles

• Informative
Reactions: goRt and Roy W.
Pretty sure it was 348 miles, the main reason I wanted to order it

Personally I wouldn't base range on advertised range, but rather typical / representative range-challenged journeys / cruising speed in A Better Route Planner

Also don't use any data from short journeys (in fact any journey that is not range-challenged), if you have range-enough there is no incentive to drive in an eco style, and the "set off penalty" (warm battery / warm/cool cabin, etc. etc.) averaged over max-range-leg is not the same as shorter journey.

My whole month average for February is massively different to Summer, but my out-of-range journeys are only 10-15% worse than those in mid Summer

In UK on long motorway journey fair chance that you hit Traffic / Road works, and that 40-50 MPH stretch will gain some range, changing range-challenged leg into "comfortable" :)

Reactions: PrGrPa
Personally I wouldn't base range on advertised range, but rather typical / representative range-challenged journeys / cruising speed in A Better Route Planner

Also don't use any data from short journeys (in fact any journey that is not range-challenged), if you have range-enough there is no incentive to drive in an eco style, and the "set off penalty" (warm battery / warm/cool cabin, etc. etc.) averaged over max-range-leg is not the same as shorter journey.

My whole month average for February is massively different to Summer, but my out-of-range journeys are only 10-15% worse than those in mid Summer

In UK on long motorway journey fair chance that you hit Traffic / Road works, and that 40-50 MPH stretch will gain some range, changing range-challenged leg into "comfortable" :)

Good advice indeed and I didn’t assume advertised range would reflect day to day reality. However I did assume that as the M3 with the longest advertised range the LR AWD would give me more range than the other options, hence why it was my preference before it disappeared.

• Love
Reactions: Roy W. and ediflyer
I did assume that as the M3 with the longest advertised range the LR AWD would give me more range than the other options.

Exactly why I had ordered and stuck with the LR AWD too.

Thanks for the screenshots @Speedycoyote and @navt

348 miles, I had remembered 350 miles. The current configurator for the P states 329 miles. That has made me think I should stick with my LR AWD. However, it also states a top speed of 162mph which if you read further on is only applicable when you add the Performance upgrade option. Therefore I'm now thinking the same could be true for the stated range of 329 miles. As-in, its only less (329miles) if the Performance upgrade option is added. But this is unclear.

The kerb weight of the LR AWD and P variants is identical, further convincing me the only difference between the two is software.

Reactions: PrGrPa and MrMajic
I did assume that as the M3 with the longest advertised range the LR AWD would give me more range than the other options

Yes, that's true of course, but in practice the difference between, say, LR AWD and P- is small and a tiny variation to driving style will achieve that too (although that same frugal driving style applied to LR AWD would get you even a handful of miles more :) ).

I don't think that difference of, say, 20 miles ultimate range will make any difference to you day to day. if your journey is so tight that it would then Winter, Summer Thunderstorm, or battery degradation after 100K miles is going to, also, make that journey unachievable

That said, if you have 20 miles more range then there may be some days where it makes the difference between stopping to charge and not; also every time you do charge you need 20 miles less "top up". That is a worthwhile saving, if you have enough days a month when you drive out-of-range, but the chances that you have exactly the distance on a journey to avoid a charging stop is pretty long odds - based on my experience over nearly 100,000 miles.

20 miles more range may also make a difference if you have no home-charging and have to "go somewhere" to charge, once-in-a-while.

I find in practice that:

If my journey leg is range-challenged my driving style gets me there - but I will have planned (e.g. using ABRP) so that I know I can get there, or where I will Supercharge

If range is not an issue then I drive however I feel like :) For me that is typically at least 20% more consumption than range-challeneged legs ... that "normal consumption" is also the case on a range-challenged day for a journey-leg which is within range of Supercharger - journey is shorter if you drive-faster and Supercharge-longer (up to about 90 MPH)

348 miles, I had remembered 350 miles. The current configurator for the P states 329 miles.

The range chart in this post

suggests that, at 70 MPH LR AWD and P- (both with 18" wheels and either with/without aero hubcaps etc) both have same range - and its nothing like 350 miles at 70+ I'm afraid, although at 60 MPH it looks more promising ...

(No idea if the data in that chart is accurate, but it looks like some trouble has been taken to get the figures)

The range chart in this post

suggests that, at 70 MPH LR AWD and P- (both with 18" wheels and either with/without aero hubcaps etc) both have same range - and its nothing like 350 miles at 70+ I'm afraid, although at 60 MPH it looks more promising ...

(No idea if the data in that chart is accurate, but it looks like some trouble has been taken to get the figures)

That’s an interesting chart. Shows both LR AWD and P- with Aero 18 wheels with the same 275 mile range at 75mph. I’d be more than happy with that.

Still, if I could get the LR AWD for a cheaper price I’d still go for that option rather than pay a premium for the performance acceleration that I don’t really need, however much fun it could be :)

Exactly why I had ordered and stuck with the LR AWD too.

Thanks for the screenshots @Speedycoyote and @navt

348 miles, I had remembered 350 miles. The current configurator for the P states 329 miles. That has made me think I should stick with my LR AWD. However, it also states a top speed of 162mph which if you read further on is only applicable when you add the Performance upgrade option. Therefore I'm now thinking the same could be true for the stated range of 329 miles. As-in, its only less (329miles) if the Performance upgrade option is added. But this is unclear.

The kerb weight of the LR AWD and P variants is identical, further convincing me the only difference between the two is software.
I thought that too, however as you can see from the table I posted it seems that in real world terms in the USA there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. There was a suggestion on the FB forum that the reduced range for the P comes from when it was only available with 19" alloys and now it has the 18" Aero wheels on P- the range is the same as the LR AWD with 18"...

Still, if I could get the LR AWD for a cheaper price I’d still go for that option rather than pay a premium for the performance acceleration that I don’t really need, however much fun it could be :)
Yes that was my thinking too, however my worry is now about resale value of LR AWD vs P-. However given the FSD price has also gone up I'd be looking at £2,440 to upgrade - plus higher insurance - and am unsure if I'll get that difference back. In part it probably depends on if they bring back the LR AWD and if so at what price - will it slot back in and they'll push P- up or will they drop it in lower...

Just had an interesting phone call from Tesla that may be good news for some...

Apparently my order is "on the first boat" and if I don't have finance sorted by the end of this week, my VIN will be re-allocated to another buyer. Try to explain that the lack of PCP for Model 3 full-stop has been a challenge, and that maybe staff shouldn't have encouraged people to order saying to everyone that it would be available "in about 2 weeks" when it clearly wasn't going to be, but no sympathy - if you didn't have the finance sorted, you shouldn't have ordered.

So now I've put in an application to BlackHorse for HP as it's the best rate I can find to actually purchase the car. If that doesn't come through - someone else will be enjoying my VIN (and I will likely cancel the order as I've found the whole process so far to be quite stressful - mainly because of poor or inaccurate communication from Tesla themselves).

If there's anyone out there with a Model 3 on a boat who is 100% reliant on PCP to purchase it (and didn't get in before it all wen t*ts up) - I wouldn't expect to get a Model 3 any time soon.

I don't know how you got on the first boat when there are other people more ahead than you with their finance

Certainly no need to be condescending to customers...

I personally have the cold hard cash sitting in an account and received zero calls from Tesla since my order on the 6th of May. I'll probably have 2 months of the loan already repaid before I get the car...

Reactions: smythey
So now I've put in an application to BlackHorse for HP as it's the best rate I can find to actually purchase the car. If that doesn't come through - someone else will be enjoying my VIN .

Same for me. Gave in and went HP,. Blackhorse said it'd take 4 hours to respond, that was about 24 hours ago.. I've not had this level of stress since I bought my house..

• Helpful
Reactions: dazjdash
Yeah it is stressful :) To give you an idea I applied with Blackhorse on 31/5 and got both a phone call and an acceptance e-mail on 5/6 so 3 working days
I’m now worried as I applied for Finance back in the middle of May and have had zero contact from Blackhorse. Tesla called me on the 24th May and did say finance was ok but I would have thought Blackhorse would contact me directly. They appeared as a search in my credit report so presumably something has happened.

A little communication would go a long way for everyone involved I think.

• Helpful
Reactions: dazjdash
If it's actually stressing you out to the extent of causing problems, perhaps just cancel and come back in 6 months when the kinks are ironed out? It'll be annoying, but it is the end only a car - not worth impacting health for. A 6 month delay isn't the end of the world.

I decided I wasn't going to buy another petrol burner, but my 8yo car isn't going to implode if I don't get a Tesla immediately.

Consider it.

Same for me. Gave in and went HP,. Blackhorse said it'd take 4 hours to respond, that was about 24 hours ago.. I've not had this level of stress since I bought my house..

I’m now worried as I applied for Finance back in the middle of May and have had zero contact from Blackhorse. Tesla called me on the 24th May and did say finance was ok but I would have thought Blackhorse would contact me directly. They appeared as a search in my credit report so presumably something has happened.

A little communication would go a long way for everyone involved I think.

Definitely - I haven't had any contact from Blackhorse directly though so I wouldn't worry on that front - both the phone call and e-mail I got were from Tesla.

Thanks for that info - apparently I'm dealing with the Chiswick branch (even though I live much nearer to Bluewater) and haven't had a call from them yet. I will NOT be impressed if my VIN is re-allocated while awaiting a response though, so they should expect repeated phone calls over the next 48 hours :D

Reactions: -DB-