Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I was just trying to point out the disparity in the averages. I think more people in the US could afford one than over here generally due to US salaries being higher and taxed less. I probably do earn 2-3x the UK average but no way could I afford an S or an X, especially with a mortgage in Surrey 😒
Yeah indeed. The top 10% in IT earn a lot more.

In terms of affording an S / X it depends. Assuming you don't plan to own the car then your paying the depreciation over 3 / 4 years and an interest rate. I had a BMW M5 with most of the options for £800 a month on a 0% APR deal a good while ago. I had a M760Li with all the options, at £1,100 a month also on a 0% interest deal. V12 so it depreciated like a rock but also had around £40k off list price on BMW and dealer contributions.

It's probably changed but the Model S used to keep its value quite well and on lower interest rates maybe around £1,100 - 1,200 a month also. Though with interest rates up so high that ruins this really.

I've no interest in owning an electric car at the moment. I like to change to something new and electric vehicles are still in their infancy so want to keep up with tech here. Not like an ICE car where after 8 years a new model comes out with 20 more hp, 2mpg improvement and that's about it.

Reactions: randompixel
Clearly, I’m paying my IT guys in Manchester too much…..

I’ll be buying the Plaid with cash and tend to keep my cars for a while. Besides the novelty of the accclelation, I’m mostly interested in the new interior. Just like my current Raven, it meets all my needs for a commuter EV, i.e., no service requirement, no need to stop at superchargers en route within the UK with 350+ miles range, and certainly not at dark, cold wet petrol stations on the way home from work. And a clean, familiar (to any smartphone user) interface, unlike the Porsche/Mercedes nonsense.

I’m sure there will be more efficient motors and power-dense batteries in the future, but there I’d mostly be looking for a lighter EV performance car, not a commuter replacement.

They have nearly 1000 new inventory of both MS and MX in Europe too. That’s why they’re wondering if it’s worth doing I imagine. They only started deliveries in Europe at the end of last year and have gone from backlog to relatively large excess very quickly. They’ll know what the RHD backlog is and which will feed the decision.

If they’re not selling they need to look at the pricing. They have large enough margins on S/X to do that. I guess if the RHD demand isn’t there they need to just say they won’t be making RHD X/S. The lack of communication is really poor.

Without publishing pricing in GBP, even with unlimited cash it’s hard to get a sense of value-for-money other than the general Tesla vs pricier competition feel. Plus we know from history that ordering early is barely any different from ordering once things are finalised and available to all.

Poor you having to buy a much better looking, better built, better to drive with more options to spec to your exact liking and a more exclusive brand car.

e_cyu4fxma0oett.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: EVMeister
Poor you having to buy a much better looking, better built, better to drive with more options to spec to your exact liking and a more exclusive brand car

But ... I want a Plaid.

Except that I thought I didn't (until it came along).

I had an MS PD ... really enjoyed it, but after demo'd to all my mates never really used Performance - it was brutal for a passenger if they weren't concentrating and I hopped out onto a tiny gap "'coz I could". On my own it was fun, but mostly I was on motorway in nose-to-tail traffic. So the moments were rare. A few "I'll show you" at the lights, but everyone's seen that now Yawn!

Did 95K miles in 3.5 years and when I replaced it I thought "no point" getting the P and got the bog standard one instead (bog standard ... yeah ... 0-60 is around 3.5s I think ... no way does it put the power down at launch like a P model, but once travelling then doing "overtake" has all the grunt I'd expect/need.

But then Plaid came along. I mean ... I definitely need 2s 0-60 :)

I'd not bothered about a Porker (nor for that matter a Ferrari). Impressive engineering. But the MS PD I had was, for me, the ultimate combination of extreme supercar, massive cargo haulier, and trouble free daily driver - and running cost was pennies

I'll be very disappointed if there is no RHD made. I did ask myself if I'd (then) buy a LHD, but I don't really want to drive LHD in UK

Perhaps I'll get a Semi instead ...

Reactions: EVMeister
But ... I want a Plaid.

Except that I thought I didn't (until it came along).

I had an MS PD ... really enjoyed it, but after demo'd to all my mates never really used Performance - it was brutal for a passenger if they weren't concentrating and I hopped out onto a tiny gap "'coz I could". On my own it was fun, but mostly I was on motorway in nose-to-tail traffic. So the moments were rare. A few "I'll show you" at the lights, but everyone's seen that now Yawn!

Did 95K miles in 3.5 years and when I replaced it I thought "no point" getting the P and got the bog standard one instead (bog standard ... yeah ... 0-60 is around 3.5s I think ... no way does it put the power down at launch like a P model, but once travelling then doing "overtake" has all the grunt I'd expect/need.

But then Plaid came along. I mean ... I definitely need 2s 0-60 :)

I'd not bothered about a Porker (nor for that matter a Ferrari). Impressive engineering. But the MS PD I had was, for me, the ultimate combination of extreme supercar, massive cargo haulier, and trouble free daily driver - and running cost was pennies

I'll be very disappointed if there is no RHD made. I did ask myself if I'd (then) buy a LHD, but I don't really want to drive LHD in UK

Perhaps I'll get a Semi instead ...
To be honest.. it sounds like you’ve got a semi ready!!

I kinda know where you’re coming from though, I had a P90D and my wife objected to 0-60 in a little under 3s, I’m not sure she’s take to 2s (although in U.K. temps without pre conditioning etc I imagine that’s high days and holidays, 2.5s will be more the every day performance), so do I need it? No. Would I swap the MY for one, yes.

Interestingly I wasn’t bothered with the MYP, it didn’t seem to be anything over the LR that was worth having. The analogy is can you name any great 400m runners? Not in the same way you can name 100m runners, so unless it’s the fastest, it doesn’t figure.

PS I doubt I’ll have the option, I don’t see it coming here

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Poor you having to buy a much better looking, better built, better to drive with more options to spec to your exact liking and a more exclusive brand car.
Looks are subjective but I agree it's nice on the outside, shame about the inside and being a reverse Tardis. Build quality maybe a bit better and it certainly handles better - as you'd expect. But much less range, more expensive, less tech and no charging network makes it a compromised choice for me.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Obviously I’m sure the speed is stupid but also would love to experience it. I’ve also considered getting a LHD but agree a step too far to have that in the UK as your everyday car.

I’m mostly happy with the Model 3 Performance my wife has but frankly for my car and longer family trips I’d like more comfort. That generally means a bigger wheel base and probably air suspension that the S and X have.

Without these cars in the UK Tesla is just a mid market and below player really. Lucid I believe is coming to the UK and without Tesla playing in this space they could do much better.

I’d hope the demand dip is just merely down to the economy at the moment and people holding off. There’s still people that want a higher end car than the 3 and Y.

Last edited:
Well I certainly hope I don’t have to go for a Taycan instead - it’s just so…ordinary.

My thoughts exactly.

I know it is a better drive, better fit and finish, and I’ve come close to ordering a Turbo S a few times but I love my wife‘s Model Y, the software, the simplicity of the interior (BMW, etc, try very hard to bling-up their interiors and I hate it, too much clutter), the way it handles (Ok, push it hard it becomes unsettled), even autopilot is excellent, so I’m expecting the Plaid to be an upgrade overall and much better value for money than the competition, e.g. Taycan Turbo S

My guess is that RHD is still on, but reduced volumes, and the UK has won out over Down Under.

It is rare I think for ‘normal‘ OEM’s to cancel RHD variants but if they drag-on for much longer with no communications, those who are waiting may lose interest and look elsewhere.