Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK Only] Single Stack / Highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im a new Tesla owner so trying to understand all this.

From what I understand the standard AP/EAP/FSD uses one set of instructions motorway driving, and a different set of instructions for FSD when driving around towns/smaller roads.

This planned update is to remove the set of instructions that currently is used on motorway autopilot/EAP/FSD, and replace it with the same instructions used for normal FSD, which is supposedly better?

So AP/EAP/FSD will all use the same set of instructions, everywhere, whenever in use?

Ty!

They will just be one development line of software (currently separate branches ) - which will improve the platform and simply updates (is the basic just of it).

FSD that we have isn’t the same as the beta US where regulation is hmm more relaxed I would say.

Im a new Tesla owner so trying to understand all this.

From what I understand the standard AP/EAP/FSD uses one set of instructions motorway driving, and a different set of instructions for FSD when driving around towns/smaller roads.

This planned update is to remove the set of instructions that currently is used on motorway autopilot/EAP/FSD, and replace it with the same instructions used for normal FSD, which is supposedly better?

So AP/EAP/FSD will all use the same set of instructions, everywhere, whenever in use?

Ty

right now AP etc is only intended for use on motorways & dual carriageways in the UK
It works with risks on other roads
Only thé US FSD beta works everywhere

Yes and no.

They all have different functional capabilities, except for outside North America where EAP and FSD is effectively functionally the same, see last paragraph.

AP is TACC and Autosteer, so cruise control and lane keep assist.

EAP, amongst a few other features, adds confirmed (via use of indicators) auto lane change. This facilitates NoA - navigate on autopilot which prompts you to undertake an auto lane change which you need to confirm. This only works on some roads, ie many motorways and major dual carriageways.

FSD should add use of autopilot on city streets to this at some point, but in UK no one is expecting it any time soon.

Officially, autopilot/EAP/FSD (UK) is not for use on roads other than divided highways, ie motorways and dual carriageways, but technically there is nothing to stop you trying it anywhere, but any functionality, including keeping you in lane that might work is unsupported. Auto lane changes and turns certainly will not work in any version, except lane change on certain road types with EAP/FSD and, if enabled FSD can auto attempt to stop at some junctions, or thereabouts- it frequently misjudges stop lines etc.

What single stack does is add the object detection and perception of the USD beta to our AP/EAP/FSD. But functionally will remain the same as it does now. Eg autopilot won’t suddenly magic the ability to lane change/turn etc and probably not even stop at junctions as that is the only difference between EAP and FSD beta in UK.

Others have explained it, this may thus be superfluous

Only FSD has the "City driving" instructions, and that is only available in America (maybe Canada, not sure). Previously using the Beta of FSD when the car went from "City Streets" onto "Motorway/Highway" then it reverted to the original AP/EAP code.

The single stack is the milestone where the original Motorway instructions (as used by AP/EAP) are being removed and replaced by the new FSD code - i.e. the earlier FSD beta had two separate "stacks" of instructions now replaced by a single-stack.

This only applies to the FSD Beta (in America). its possible that Tesla will use it for AP / EAP at some point in the future ... or they may just let AP / EAP wither on the vine. I can't see how they can port the single stack FSD code to AP / EAP and for the owners to not just use it everywhere ... in which case they would get a very heavily discounted FSD :) . Tesla could make AP EAP (i.e. using FSD single-stack code) only work on Motorways, but right now AP/EAP will work anywhere (where there are half decent road markings) - not suggesting you should use it on minor roads, but it will work up to a point.

So if Tesla roll out FSD, in some form, to AP / EAP owners (and at some unspecified!! future date) what would they leave out? I suppose they could have AP do only "Stay in lane" (and TACC) and EAP do that plus "Lane change to pass" and NoA (and park and summon ...) so just leave off stopping at / handling junctions.

Others have explained it, this may thus be superfluous

Only FSD has the "City driving" instructions, and that is only available in America (maybe Canada, not sure). Previously using the Beta of FSD when the car went from "City Streets" onto "Motorway/Highway" then it reverted to the original AP/EAP code.

The single stack is the milestone where the original Motorway instructions (as used by AP/EAP) are being removed and replaced by the new FSD code - i.e. the earlier FSD beta had two separate "stacks" of instructions now replaced by a single-stack.

This only applies to the FSD Beta (in America). its possible that Tesla will use it for AP / EAP at some point in the future ... or they may just let AP / EAP wither on the vine. I can't see how they can port the single stack FSD code to AP / EAP and for the owners to not just use it everywhere ... in which case they would get a very heavily discounted FSD :) . Tesla could make AP EAP (i.e. using FSD single-stack code) only work on Motorways, but right now AP/EAP will work anywhere (where there are half decent road markings) - not suggesting you should use it on minor roads, but it will work up to a point.

So if Tesla roll out FSD, in some form, to AP / EAP owners (and at some unspecified!! future date) what would they leave out? I suppose they could have AP do only "Stay in lane" (and TACC) and EAP do that plus "Lane change to pass" and NoA (and park and summon ...) so just leave off stopping at / handling junctions.
The single stack is the image processing and position location, the planner plans the moves and routing
EAP is everything fsd is excluding stopping at green and red traffic lights, city driving is to come
It is simple to disable features to differentiate between EAP and FSD

Reactions: MrBadger
I guess the challenge with the move is speed. City streets speeds are relatively slow, say under 40mph, maybe even 30, I can’t recall seeing many fast moving cars. Scale that to motorway speeds and everything is moving much more quickly, or another way of saying it is the difference between where something was and where it now is on the next refresh cycle will be greater which makes the whole job harder.

I imagine they may go back to limiting the max speed again when they do release it as a result, so maybe we’d prefer them not to bring it out until they can handle higher speeds.

I guess the challenge with the move is speed. City streets speeds are relatively slow, say under 40mph, maybe even 30, I can’t recall seeing many fast moving cars. Scale that to motorway speeds and everything is moving much more quickly, or another way of saying it is the difference between where something was and where it now is on the next refresh cycle will be greater which makes the whole job harder.

I imagine they may go back to limiting the max speed again when they do release it as a result, so maybe we’d prefer them not to bring it out until they can handle higher speeds.
The single stack is rolling out to the FSDb users in the USA, so needs some iterations before going to the stable channel
If the code's been well designed then it should be a trivial activity to plug it into the planner in other regions.

The videos show cars doing 80+mph, so not an issue

Reactions: MrBadger

Chose a setting, any setting, and Tesla will configure autopilot to have any functional combination that they can. Same software, just lots and lots of different configuration settings which will probably differentiate AP, EAP and FSD.

From several years back... more than likely to be a different set now. Note the 'enable city streets' behaviour toggle as just one example.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I went looking for some videos of the BMW system because I don't really know what the standard of the other auto manufacturers' 'Autopilot' systems is. Anyway, this is the first result I got that isn't a puff piece about an upcoming L3 system:
View attachment 916027
Clearly not everyone thinks it's flawless.. Some of those results are quite old though so maybe that's out of date (still top on Google though).
What's the name of the current/best (but actually available) BMW system? I am genuinely interested to see Autopilot in context of the other systems that are out there.
just FYI: Lane keeping assistant was the first thing I turned off on my G20 BMW 330e.

it essentially looked if i am in full control and overstep the lane it then steered back. quite aggressively. So imagine when you have cars parked on the side or cyclist, to step on the lane a bit in order to pass by and it steers back....

That's not really apples to apples though, is it? Autopilot etc are marketing names for packages of assistance functions, all of which have names that are no more mysterious than the BMW versions.

View attachment 916133

The BMW analogy to Autopilot etc would (appear) to be 'Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go function', 'Driving Assistant Plus' and 'Parking Assistant Professional', none of which are any clearer in name than Autopilot or Enhanced Autopilot.

I tried to look up what BMW's equivalent function to Full Self Driving is but the closest they seem to have is a L3 function that hasn't launched yet but which will be called 'Personal Pilot', and if you want to tell me that the difference between Driving Assistant Plus and Personal Pilot is immediately obvious to anyone by name alone then I would suggest you're viewing this through a slightly biased lens.
you are wrong. because the Driving Assistant Plus is just a package name. within the package you have several systems.

just FYI: Lane keeping assistant was the first thing I turned off on my G20 BMW 330e.

it essentially looked if i am in full control and overstep the lane it then steered back. quite aggressively. So imagine when you have cars parked on the side or cyclist, to step on the lane a bit in order to pass by and it steers back....
Those are scenarios where you should indicate your intention, BMW trying to educate