Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Owners with v10?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha ha, ok. Will see if I can get the car into the living room.

Does everyone have issues? I saw the antenna is in the passenger side mirror, I may put my phone into hotspot mode and perform a wifi dance around the mirror tomorrow.
I had quite a poor WiFi signal in the garage. I tried a WiFi extender but that wasn’t much better. I ended up with a cheap mesh WiFi system. It’s got three nodes, so I’ve got one in the kitchen cupboard where the fibre modem is, covering the front of the house, one in the conservatory to cover the rear of the house, and one in the garage to cover the garage and back garden.

This setup gives me my full 50Mb download speed anywhere from the front drive to the end of the back garden :cool:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-Coverage-Ethernet-Configured/dp/B07CTKHRG8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2WPKRPL70D4HF&keywords=nova+mw3+3-pack&qid=1569880418&s=gateway&sprefix=Nova+mw3,aps,156&sr=8-2

The one above cost me about £60 on offer. That works for internet speeds up to 100Mb. If you’ve got something like Virgin Media or full fat fibre to the premises you need this more expensive version:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-Coverage-Ethernet-Configured/dp/B077HTZ4TT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2WPKRPL70D4HF&keywords=nova+mw3+3-pack&qid=1569880418&s=gateway&sprefix=Nova+mw3,aps,156&sr=8-2&th=1

Here’s a photo in the garage:

E4D88A81-7FE6-463E-A45B-F47E3CBD099C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmc
Ap seems to be a little more cental in the lane after the update but I'm finding it is constantly wandering left to right. I recon it must be wasting a lot of battery power.
Had a couple of phantom brakes in the rain and it couldnt work out to drive around some flooding in half the road but I was ready to take over. There's an interesting corner case Elon...

Reactions: Roy W.
I had quite a poor WiFi signal in the garage. I tried a WiFi extender but that wasn’t much better. I ended up with a cheap mesh WiFi system.
Thanks Roy. That looks a great setup but I would rather avoid adding anything just for the car. Rest of the house gets perfect 5ghz signal, and have an AP in garden for my office (and the foxes).

The WiFi in the house is literally behind 2 doors to the street, I'll try opening the doors and seeing if it picks up the signal. The way it doesn't see any signal at all (or even on my phone hotspot) makes me think it's something else. Could even be an antenna that isn't plugged in.

Being an american setup it probably doesn't see channels 12 and 13 on 2.4Ghz, and of course 5Ghz is attenuated by walls so will be weaker anyway (the same thing that makes it great for indoors as it stops the neighbours interfering makes it harder to get outside).
Makes sense, but I do also have 2.4 enabled on channel 11. Should I try another channel?

Quite possible I will not see advanced summon in my lifetime!
It's a shame this can't be geofenced to private ground, well done for no mention of the B word.

Does the update download without WiFi ok?
If I were Tesla I'd look at locations and whether there is wifi there or not, then wait for a drive to a location with WiFi, to try and save a bit on Data - though I think it was in the region of 1GB down so whether that's worth penny pinching for, frunk mats would be a much easier win ;)

Putting WiFi in SuperChargers would make total sense.

Hats off to Features · Connected Kerb for putting in SuperFast WiFi in all of their street deployed Chargers.

But then I can imagine the number of people who’d try to update at Superchargers being stuck in bays for 20-30mins whilst the car updates, that is unless you could update during your SuC session. Maybe someone could try this ;)

Ideally the update would just download on the supercharger WiFi, and you'd be prompted for the actual install later when you're parked at home.

Does everyone have issues? I saw the antenna is in the passenger side mirror,

The passenger side depends which side of the road you drive on. In the U.K. the Model S antenna is in the drivers door mirror. I don’t know about the 3 but might be worth double checking your source of info - or turn the car around and see if that helps.

I also invested in Google WiFi which is excellent, put a unit in the garage and connection is great. It’s also really easy to see what’s connected to the network and how much data is being transmitted to and from.

The passenger side depends which side of the road you drive on. In the U.K. the Model S antenna is in the drivers door mirror. I don’t know about the 3 but might be worth double checking your source of info - or turn the car around and see if that helps.

I also invested in Google WiFi which is excellent, put a unit in the garage and connection is great. It’s also really easy to see what’s connected to the network and how much data is being transmitted to and from.
Google wifi looks nice :)

Just noticed if anyone is interested in the Google one, Wickes (Odd place to sell it!, "some 2 x 4 & screws with my wifi router please?") has an offer on £189 for 2

Google Wi-fi Whole Home System White Twin Pack | Wickes.co.uk

I find it bemusing that Tesla spend so much time with games etc when really I just want FSD to work better.

Its good publicity. Tesla spends $0 on conventional advertising. People with other brands will say "I don't need fart mode" ... they are, of course, correct :) but I have shown it to loads of people and had a good laugh with them doing so. Its not something we would ever talk about over a meal together ... so in that regard I think it works well. I have no idea if it sells cars, but I suspect there is a feeling of other cars being "boring" and not being part of the New Wave or whatever

FSD is a completely different department, different programming skills, and that is going on separately and (I think) not really part of the V10 rollout. FSD/AP advances come little-by-little at each update.

But I don't have any idea when FSD will be "Wow!". I am optimistic (I am a programmer by trade, and I understand how advances in AI can come in leaps and bounds, exponentially), but plenty here and around me tend to "not in my lifetime" ... at the very least predicting the timing for Success is probably impossible,.

Does the update download without WiFi ok?

Yes, but Folklore suggests that WiFi is prioritised (which makes sense as OTA costs Tesla money)

Can I check when V10 will be pushed to the car

No. You may be first this time, and last next time. There is a setting under ADVANCED that you are happy to be Early Adopter / prioritised - that may help.

If you live near, or even better you drive past a Service Centre, park up there and the Car auto logs on to the Tesla Network

Used to be the case that would get you a download, not any more AFAIK

The way it doesn't see any signal at all (or even on my phone hotspot) makes me think it's something else

Sounds like it. Can it detect WiFi from any other houses - e.g. if you park up the street? If it can't see any then I reckon it needs service

I swapped my Powerline adaptor that I used for my Solar PV over to an unused one with wifi. I wasn't sure if it would work based on various comments. Its drivers side in small workshop off the main garage space.

I hooked it up, less than the 3 bars that people were saying was the critical cutoff. It couldn't get a DHCP address but my phone could link. So had assumed that all the comments were correct.

A drive later, car parked back up in same place on drive near as. A while later, I spotted that it was on wifi, less than 3 bars and that firmware update was nearly complete. So it was now happy with IP address and happy to download stuff.

A short while later, I forced the V10 update and a brake pedal/button reboot.

However, out for a drive to find 'Wokingham' supercharger yesterday, pouring and misting rain (blindspot detection failed due to poor visibility message on couple of occasions), after charging we were met with Navigation initialising, see image. It hadn't cleared before I had set off and didn't think to try another reboot.

20190930_202911816_iOS.jpg

I was hoping to try first bit of auto pilot if weather improved (it didn't, and highlighted how much Tesla auto wipers need to improve to match 12+ year old VAG implementation - thankfully passenger could do the necessary adjustments and I didn't need to take my eyes off awful road conditions and standing water), but no offer of auto pilot even when conditions has improved and were in good lighting.

Reboot cleared it after getting home, but not sure about AP status.

Not sure if it was related to V10.

Ah, the big cancel button, wondered what that was for ;) Seriously I was at super charger for plenty enough time to cancel quite a few times and leaving it to wait for several minutes too.

After doing reboot and testing that it worked when I got home, I did get a timeout on finding first route I chose - it came back after quite a while with something about not managing to get traffic data, so route did not take that into account. Second route one was fine. I wondered if it was because first time my planned route was home to home!