Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY LR in blue was £56,090 when ordered (delivered July 2022). Same car with the new pricing is £55,180 so a reduction of £910. I'm not overly surprised given the supply/demand cycle, especially in a recessionary economy where persuading people to shell out on a massive purchase like a Tesla will need to require some persuasion.

THEY DO NOT DO DISCOUNTS.
How is this complex? A discount because you go all 'arthur daley' in your harrassing and arguing and monty-pythonesque haggling is something Tesla have NEVER done and still NEVER do. Everyone who orders a model Y performance today gets the exact same price, unlike every other car company on the planet.
That is NOT the same as never changing the price! This is not a complex concept.

To put it another way: Your local coffee shop may raise prices, they may cut prices, but there are no discounts, the price on the menu is the price you pay.

I get the impression some people think that the prices of high tech modern goods should never fall below the one they paid. I guess you were all hoping that compact disc p[layers would forever be a £499 luxury item?

sigh.

Just drive your car and enjoy it. You were happy with the deal when you bought it, why not now? nothing about the car spec changed today.

Yeah I was in no rush originally to actually take delivery of a vehicle now. But the savings vs the price it was yesterday were good so I jumped on it!

we did really want the parking sensors on the car though so if we wait, we would hope there’s a new solution/sensors added back in soon!

Thanks for confirming btw!

Personally, if not in a rush, in your shoes I'd just wait. This will ripple into the used market shortly so you could stand to make the same savings you expected yesterday if you wait for the adjustment. Or you might just choose to go new instead. Either way, more options if you're patient.

USS won't come back and, imho, the camera software will never be as good. That's a pro for a nearly new imho. On the other hand, don't wait too long as the 3/Y is quite likely to loose control stalks in the not too distant future, which might spoil the go new choice somewhat.

I kinda wish I was in your shoes! I completed a private purchase of a 3LR literally yesterday!! Ok I'm in Norway and while we got the same news this morning, the numbers and circumstances are different here, and its not quite the bloodbath of UK and some other places (Denmark is particularly insane), and I'm still happy, but wish I had the freedom to wait another month or two and see.

agree wholehardely, but thats how it was, even here over in the States. I ordered a M3 as my fiesta started to play up and the used prices were horrendous (ie more than new), due to delays, i had to cancel and ended up getting the Ioniq - and even then i had to contend with the dealer 'markup' prices - i don't know if the UK dealers were doing it but over here it was horrific. The Kia EV6 had a dealer 'markup' of $10k, the Ioniq had $7.5k which I managed to get down to to $4k but I know that as soon as I drove it off the Lot i'd instantly lost 10k
I stand to be corrected but I don't think the dealers over here sell new cars above the list price. Our sales model is a bit different though. most of our cars are made to order for a specific customer so if the dealer tried that if they were even allowed to you just place order with another dealer. The price you agree at the time of order is the price dealer cannot just try to gouge you and change the price later on. The manufacturers themselves might but I don't think the dealers can. If they do you certainly don't hear about it in the same way you do in the US. There is no routine dealer markup process.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Personally, if not in a rush, in your shoes I'd just wait. This will ripple into the used market shortly so you could stand to make the same savings you expected yesterday if you wait for the adjustment. Or you might just choose to go new instead. Either way, more options if you're patient.

USS won't come back and, imho, the camera software will never be as good. That's a pro for a nearly new imho. On the other hand, don't wait too long as the 3/Y is quite likely to loose control stalks in the not too distant future, which might spoil the go new choice somewhat.

I kinda wish I was in your shoes! I completed a private purchase of a 3LR literally yesterday!! Ok I'm in Norway and while we got the same news this morning, the numbers and circumstances are different here, and its not quite the bloodbath of UK and some other places (Denmark is particularly insane), and I'm still happy, but wish I had the freedom to wait another month or two and see.
Thanks for your opinions!

I’m definitely leaning towards waiting (I actually am in the queue for a new Tesla but had initially refused delivery last December as we weren’t ready) so a lot of this is welcome news.

Was excited to be receiving this nearly new car in a few days… 🙈

I stand to be corrected but I don't think the dealers over here sell new cars above the list price. Our sales model is a bit different though. most of our cars are made to order for a specific customer so if the dealer tried that if they were even allowed to you just place order with another dealer. The price you agree at the time of order is the price dealer cannot just try to gouge you and change the price later on. The manufacturers themselves might but I don't think the dealers can. If they do you certainly don't hear about it in the same way you do in the US. There is no routine dealer markup process.
yeah the markups over here were terrible. in fact dealers in general over here are terrible, horrible places to go. It was actually a breath of fresh air being able to order the Tesla online without needing to go to a dealer. I wasn't a massive fan of dealers in the UK but having experienced dealers over here, the ones in the UK are amazing. They dick dance you around out here something shocking.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
How is this complex? A discount because you go all 'arthur daley' in your harrassing and arguing and monty-pythonesque haggling is something Tesla have NEVER done and still NEVER do. Everyone who orders a model Y performance today gets the exact same price, unlike every other car company on the planet.
That is NOT the same as never changing the price! This is not a complex concept.

To put it another way: Your local coffee shop may raise prices, they may cut prices, but there are no discounts, the price on the menu is the price you pay.

I get the impression some people think that the prices of high tech modern goods should never fall below the one they paid. I guess you were all hoping that compact disc p[layers would forever be a £499 luxury item?

sigh.

Just drive your car and enjoy it. You were happy with the deal when you bought it, why not now? nothing about the car spec changed today.
exactly this

sigh.

Please do let me know what vehicle manufacture has slashed nearly 10k off RRP? Or have you ever seen Apple and smiler tech companies slash hundreds of retail prices on their prices on current models of goods?

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap
manufacturers reduce prices of various products all the time. If you went into Tesco last week and brought some chicken for 10GBP and then went in this week and it was 5GBP its the same thing. I had to pay markup prices over here in the states, I bitched and moaned about it, didn't get me anywhere, I still had to pay. Markup prices are slowly disappearing now, but i'm not going back to the dealer to complain

Reactions: boombap
Completely understand you are furious. It’s not a ‘discount’ as such, it’s a change to price list. This is based on production and demand, and will change again short term. If you’re not within the 14 days from purchase then there is nothing that can be done.

I got a YLR last March. Since then the price has gone up and down, to a point where it’s £2k cheaper now than what I paid. Not loads different, so not bothered. I do have parking sensors though! Also got a mega high trade in for my 3LR. Point is… over the time you keep the car, prices are going to be all over the place. Enjoy your awesome car!