Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brand might develop a reputation of unreliable pricing, leading people to wait for anticipated incentives (e.g. end of quarter deals).

Other companies like VW realise the need to maintain stability for new and existing customers alike.
I don't disagree but wanted to point out that VW have increased their prices for ID4 in the US which includes anyone with an existing reservation at the previously indicated price.

So different strategies indeed.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I don't disagree but wanted to point out that VW have increased their prices for ID4 in the US which includes anyone with an existing reservation at the previously indicated price.

So different strategies indeed.
Exactly what Stellantis did with us in December 2021 for the Fiat 500e - learning on the 22nd that we must either pay £30k in full at the 'agreed' price & register the car by the 31st or a £2.5k mandatory price increase. Of course, everything was then closed on the 24th for several days and I wasn't even in the country.

We had ordered in August prior to visiting America until 12th January but had no alternative but to comply including several lengthy phone calls at 2am local time on four separate days (9am UK & on one occasion on hold for 25 mins as their prepubescent 'manager' was busy in the morning meeting).

Numerous other issues at their end including several contradictory lies during consecutive calls & the DVLA on the 31st being unable to register because they (DVLA) had missed a digit from a critical code, then being told by the Fiat dealer that if that happened they were still instructed by 'Italy' to raise a further £2.5k invoice before releasing the car we had already paid for (& their accounts dept had previously lost all record of the CHAPS transaction anyway).

When we arrived home & went 80 miles to collect the car two days later it would not connect to the app for more than three hours until someone fractionally older than the 12y old sales guy realised that they had put my wife's plates on a different VIN car. We returned home without the Fiat & the correct one was delivered three days later, thankfully perfect.

It's a delightful little EV but the overall experience was actually far worse than with either of our Teslas (that's saying something but I suppose the cheap bottle of Prosecco was supposed to make everything alright. Diazepam would have been more appropriate).

I test drove a RWD on Friday, loved the car and we've agreed on a MYP. The funds are in place and I'm itching to buy one but my plan is to keep this car for 10 years and be FSD whenever thats available in the UK in a couple of years.

However, something seems off and this is putting me off "Tesla says it is adding radar in its cars next month amid self-driving suite concerns" and the uncertainty about how vehicles with the old hardware get treated?

From what I can gather theres generally retrofitting available for key things, would that likely be the case for something so fundamental like this?

Can't help being skeptical about the pricecuts and them trying to get rid of soon to be replaced hardware (I understand sales were a slight miss in December)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, listen carefully what Elon had said in his recent interview....
....grow the company with -ve profit margins...

Also read into what a senior Tesla executive in China said...
...passing on the savings from recent innovations....

And we are just about entering into a recession.

Put them all together and I think there is an excellent chance come this summer there will be another round of massive price cuts for Tesla's.
I think MYLR is still overpriced and expect that to drop by as much as a further 5k. Similar cuts to other models and specs can also happen.
If you can hold on, wait for recession to kick-in full swing, further Tesla innovations to come through and sort of force Elon to dip into the -ve profit margins.....good things can happen to Tesla customers also !!

It's a dangerous game to try and grow with negative margins when you've already a big slice of the market, it's a law of diminishing returns. You're also not going to send big auto under as they still sell lots of ICE, so the strategy to create a fire sale/buying the business until you're the last man standing isn't going to work And unless your production capacity is sustainable you're just eating cash forever. Plenty of people won't buy Tesla whatever the price. My dad would never buy Ford. His US politics have alienated half the country.

Reactions: 2020M3SR and CWT3LR
It's a dangerous game to try and grow with negative margins when you've already a big slice of the market, it's a law of diminishing returns. You're also not going to send big auto under as they still sell lots of ICE, so the strategy to create a fire sale/buying the business until you're the last man standing isn't going to work And unless your production capacity is sustainable you're just eating cash forever. Plenty of people won't buy Tesla whatever the price. My dad would never buy Ford. His US politics have alienated half the country.
I think the delivery of cars into Europe has always been a lag indicator of European demand. I wonder whether the latest orders have shrunk in November / December - coinciding with his more outlandish / ludicrous statements - and hence production in China is far outstripping demand? I don't buy this constant growth story - and with Germany trying to ramp at the same time, the only way to shift stock will be further price cuts. We might yet see a $30k car, but I fear we might already be at peak Tesla.

Your dad alienated half the country? was he a moderator as well then?

I think the delivery of cars into Europe has always been a lag indicator of European demand. I wonder whether the latest orders have shrunk in November / December - coinciding with his more outlandish / ludicrous statements - and hence production in China is far outstripping demand? I don't buy this constant growth story - and with Germany trying to ramp at the same time, the only way to shift stock will be further price cuts. We might yet see a $30k car, but I fear we might already be at peak Tesla.
Do we really think that Elons recent BS is making that much of a difference especially outside of the US? I mean I didn't buy my first Tesla because of him and I didn't buy the 2nd one despite of him. Aside from his direct influence over the car I don't care. Not decrying what he has done for Tesla in the past but him spending more time on Twitter and less on Tesla might be a good thing at this point.... Are people really that influenced by the CEO of a company? I thought Steve Jobs was a bit of a k**b sometimes as well but he is not the reason I don't have an iPhone.

Do we really think that Elons recent BS is making that much of a difference especially outside of the US? I mean I didn't buy my first Tesla because of him and I didn't buy the 2nd one despite of him. Aside from his direct influence over the car I don't care. Not decrying what he has done for Tesla in the past but him spending more time on Twitter and less on Tesla might be a good thing at this point.... Are people really that influenced by the CEO of a company? I thought Steve Jobs was a bit of a k**b sometimes as well but he is not the reason I don't have an iPhone.
A guy who had an MG wandered over to me and started telling me how he would never buy a Tesla because of Elon Musk ... I therefore asked him if the CEO of MG was the reason he bought an MG ... I asked him if he even knew who the CEO of MG was (SAIC Motor Corporation Limited). He, not surprisingly, had no idea who was in charge at MG. I suggested that the person may be wonderful or a bit of a tw*t, like some other CEOs, yet it didn't impact his buying decision.

A guy who had an MG wandered over to me and started telling me how he would never buy a Tesla because of Elon Musk ... I therefore asked him if the CEO of MG was the reason he bought an MG ... I asked him if he even knew who the CEO of MG was (SAIC Motor Corporation Limited). He, not surprisingly, had no idea who was in charge at MG. I suggested that the person may be wonderful or a bit of a tw*t, like some other CEOs, yet it didn't impact his buying decision.
Don't like Elon but happy to support SAIC where slave labour conditions are welcomed and as a state owned company, your cash is funneled to a corrupt Chinese Govt?

Funny guy :)

Reactions: ringi
Don't like Elon but happy to support SAIC where slave labour conditions are welcomed and as a state owned company, your cash is funneled to a corrupt Chinese Govt?

Funny guy :)
Much better to buy Tesla so so your money gets split between a corrupt UK govt, a corrupt US govt, AND a corrupt Chinese govt and the rest goes to Elon. :)

What Tesla really needs to 'grow the company' is a small 2-seater with one seat behind another(like a large motorbike but with 4 wheels) and with a provision to also accommodate a rear facing baby seat (2+1 config.) that is half the width as a model Y. And this needs to have a monster range of 500mile WLTP. Forget the boot space, people will figure out how to pack tight like they do in budget airlines.
I guess Tesla can cast the whole car in one piece and sell it bare metal - buyers can stick some pre-cut wraps brought from Tesla store/3rd parties themselves.
Price it under 20k USD.
Super cheap, long range means people without garages and driveways can buy it as well and just rely on public charging. Great fit for young people/couples/new families and this vehicle can morph into its 2nd car role as the family grows.

• Disagree
Reactions: 94jdh and Utumno
Super cheap, long range means people without garages and driveways can buy it as well and just rely on public charging. Great fit for young people/couples/new families and this vehicle can morph into its 2nd car role as the family grows.
Having said it's for people without garages it sounds like it would be about the only modern car you could buy that WOULD fit in my 1970's garage.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
No one knows. It’s driven by volume which the general public only really know about after the fact.

I wouldn’t personally expect prices to rise again for some time, since the climate (interest rates, etc) is a lot different now.

Reactions: CWT3LR