Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be worthless after a few years. New 3 upcoming and will filter through to Y. It’s already lost £20k in a year. Not going to get ‘better’ now.
In theory the battery & efficiency ought to mean there's a floor price for the car.

That being said - the volume that will be on the second hand market will mean you're going to get bid in the balls by everyone really, since they can just find another 10 cars like yours for around the same price or less.

Tesla's pricing antics and the bizarre situation last year mean some people really lucked out and got into a new car with a new warranty, etc at basically zero or nominal cost, whereas some people who bought towards the end of last year, before the price cuts started, got shafted very quickly.

Last I checked my M3P has worked out as costing ~£650 a month from when I got it, if I were to sell it today. I could conceive of a world where in a year's time it has dropped another £10k quite easily. Based on my experience even though I haven't had anything major go wrong I would not want to run one out of warranty either.

Reactions: Exy1
In theory the battery & efficiency ought to mean there's a floor price for the car.

That being said - the volume that will be on the second hand market will mean you're going to get bid in the balls by everyone really, since they can just find another 10 cars like yours for around the same price or less.
Still doesn’t make sense, Fiestas are not worthless because there are 10,000 used examples on Auto Trader. The car ultimately has a floor price and that’s driven by the availability of all cars, not just Model 3’s.

Used electric cars are getting a pounding in the used market in general at the moment. There are 500 fat E-Trons on auto trader at the moment and they start at £29k, by comparison there are only 680 model 3’s starting at £22k.

The fat etron is a significantly more expensive car than a Model 3.

High electricity costs aren't helping prices too. Even on Octopus IO when taking into account the high peak unit price of 42p kwh, means that you are paying actually around 20p/kwh to charge the car at home!
That's works out at 5.5p/mile verses 13.5p/mile for a 50 mpg ICE car.
Add in supercharger costs and uncertainty that they will be working/free and the difference in price between EV's and ICE is hard to justify for a lot of people checking the used car market.

points to clearing stock before the refresh M3 comes out
there is no 'stock' and they are still manufacturing over one thousand M3s every day.

They just don't want to reduce the manufacturing rate and now component shortages and costs are easing they are bringing prices back to where they historically were.

I expect pricing to lower in the UK soon, possibly over the weekend.

Don’t know why they haven’t reduced in the uk, RHD model 3 cut in price overnight in Ireland for all cars (not just inventory) RWD & LR by 10% and M3P by just over 10% (but nearly 20% for white as without paint charge it qualifies for a €5k government subsidy)

no change on MY pricing.

points to clearing stock before the refresh M3 comes out
Good point. Maybe they don't have so much "current-design" RHD stock to shift?
I saw on the French Tesla website the model 3 RWD is now E41,990 while in the UK it's £42,990. Given the Euro was about 1.13 to the £ it means the French version is a lot cheaper. Wonder if the UK one will come down to under £40k?
Wonder if the new RWD and LR will get a longer range with the refresh. Would be an obvious time to do it. A few articles expected 10-15% improvements on LFP battery density in a year - and that was a few years ago. The RWD got 2 or 3 increases in range since launch, from circa 250 to now 305, one when they added the heatpump, and another when they went from LiCoMg to LFP, possibly another. The RWD isn't actually that far behind the Performance in percent terms - aero wheel advantage I presume eating into the advantage of a bigger pack.
Anyway - who wants a new Y or 3 when they don't have parking sensors! I wouldn't want one - the camera version appears to be a pile of sh**!
Am curious if current m3 refreshed owners like me will feel devalued by the new version? What are they likely to add beside HW4? I have near zero interest in paying for self-driving tech!

100% agree with you on this.

Don’t give a flying ‘f’ about autopilot and self driving. Also, we believe we have the 2 Goldilocks cars in our M3 and MY both fully kitted out with all latest 2022 upgrades and USS.

Was happy with what we paid, don’t care about prices they can do what they like, nobody has a crystal ball to foresee 4 years down the line so not worth worrying about IMO. Come upgrade time, like every other car before we’ll do what’s best. All my previous German motors have gone through voluntary termination as finance exceeded the residual.

Tesla is a victim of its own transparency on pricing. Who has ever paid list for a car from any other manufacturer pre pandemic? I buy a car and you buy the same from another dealer, bet one of us gets a better deal! Do we see that discussion on the other forums?

Prices for new will drop in the next few days…

Last edited:
100% agree with you on this.

Don’t give a flying ‘f’ about autopilot and self driving. Also, we believe we have the 2 Goldilocks cars in our M3 and MY both fully kitted out with all latest 2022 upgrades and USS.

Was happy with what we paid, don’t care about prices they can do what they like, nobody has a crystal ball to foresee 4 years down the line so no worth worrying about IMO. Come upgrade time, like every other car before we’ll do what’s best. All my previous German motors have gone through voluntary termination as finance exceeded the residual.

Tesla is a victim of its own transparency on pricing. Who has ever paid list for a car from any other manufacturer pre pandemic? I buy a car and you buy the same from another dealer, bet one of us gets a better deal! Do we see that discussion on the other forums?

Prices will drop in the next few days…
I feel a bit happier about the price I paid. Got a M3 SR+ as it was known then. One of the last USA builds from Dec2020 before they went to China. It was refreshed - had the black trim and heatpump which I wanted. Was 2nd hand at £39,100 (vs £43,990 after became ineligible for £3k discount), white paint, with the optional towbar. It had done only 190 miles! Somebody in Glasgow had obviously rejected it. On the dashcam was his Christmas lights on the driveway! Tesla trucked it down to the collection at Thorpe Park at no charge. Tesla it appears don't care about GDPR data privacy to delete dashcams before re-selling on the car! Turns out they'd probably rejected it as 50% of the time the Dashcam / GPS wasn't working for the first 5-10mins. Took service 3 visits to find the fault! They put me in courtesy taxis the 2nd time, the 3rd time they lent me a Performance for 3 weeks while they investigated! Guy was about to throw in the towel and replace the whole computer when he noticed one of the cables was tight/twisted. When the car started "cold" it didn't connect until the car warmed up a bit! Since then - that's been 100%.
Was amusing that my £39k car was worth £49k last year! Probably worth only £33k now? Only done 10k miles! I do think prices will settle now. Germany aren't making model 3's, only Y's so will be a 3 shortage for a long time. Don't think Germany is that cheap a place to make cars. High wages. etc. So they won't be as cheap as Mexico / China cars. Can't see Tesla making Y's cheaper than 3's. And shipping cars 10,000 miles to the UK from China must cost Tesla £3-5k per car.

Last edited:
the volume that will be on the second hand market will mean you're going to get bid in the balls by everyone really, since they can just find another 10 cars like yours for around the same price or less.

I think that the number of people wanting EVs, in 3 years time, will be vastly more than the number of EVs that were sold "now", so supply-and-demand will apply. I don't see how there can be "another 10 cars like yours" unless the 2nd hand market is the same size as when EV was purchased,

Reactions: Doudeau
The shipping cost from China really not a lot per car and is probably less than the cost to truck then from Germany to the U.K. They bring thousands over on a single roll on roll off ships.

Say it’s £1000 per car and 2000 cars on a boat, that’s £2million for a single sailing that takes a couple of weeks. I’m pretty sure than can fit more than 2000 cars on on a single ship. I can’t see it being north of £2million.

The ‘killer’ in terms of cost is the 10% import tariff that gets passed on to us.

Edit: I just checked and I could ship my own car to Hong Kong from Southampton via a roll on roll off ferry for £640. Obviously I’d have to get it there and arrange pickup. If Tesla are chartering the entire boat, you can guarantee they are paying less.

If the electricity prices continue to come down (Those of us on Octopus Tracker are paying ~55% less than the current capped rate) and a new government does some green incentives next year that include EV perks or ICE detriments then the used car market could jump back up.

It’s not worth stressing over.