Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Pricing piss take

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That they can drop the rate from 9.6% to 5.9% overnight just shows they're fleecing us. Bastards!
It’s how other car companies are discounting their cars without dropping the MSRP and screwing residuals. You’ll also see them throw in contributions into a PCP also which discounts it more. Add in discounts that often aren’t discussed openly but we all know they happen and whole sites exist to aid in this like Carwow.

It does hurt a bit I’m sure but not as much as just lobbing off a large discount on the MSRP. Tesla has less options though because they only sell online so you cannot haggle with them for starters.

Bank of England rate has nothing to do with what they set this at. It’s a supply / demand lever. Model Y obviously needs more levering than Model 3 at the moment.

Reactions: Durzel
Just looked at Model 3 prices in Slovakia ('cos website in English). Prices are 35,42, and 47.5 Euros, compared to 40,50,60 £Sterling in the UK. At todays exchange rate, that's 29.6, 35.6, and 40.25 in £Sterling. That is absolutely insane. If this keeps up I am going to be looking at BYD and Polestar next time (a year from now).

Just looked at Model 3 prices in Slovakia ('cos website in English). Prices are 35,42, and 47.5 Euros, compared to 40,50,60 £Sterling in the UK. At todays exchange rate, that's 29.6, 35.6, and 40.25 in £Sterling. That is absolutely insane. If this keeps up I am going to be looking at BYD and Polestar next time (a year from now).
yes, because this is literally one of 4 countries which drive RHD. therefore much less of competition...

but I am sure that my next car will not be a tesla...

When I will have to replace my car, SC network will be fully open. so there will be no need or incentive to buy tesla.

Did you notice that those are prices "excluding taxes and fees" while UK prices include VAT etc. It's still cheaper, but not as much as you are suggesting.

Are there any government incentives included in the price? Many European counties still have grants in place.

Polestar is a lot more expensive than Tesla, nicer car mind but there is not such thing as a free lunch.

BYD is a similar price as Tesla but the software is bad, the charging is slow and the experience is generally worse.

The grass isn’t greener, perhaps only in Kia/Hyundai land if you can get a good deal.

Unfortunately it is the price the market is willing to bear (or not - we'll see in a few months i guess).

There is also the differences in living standards, salaries, etc. What's the mean salary in Slovakia in GBP? If it was sold at the equivalent UK price over there then perhaps hardly anyone (at least the market Tesla is targeting) could afford it?

It's very annoying though, regardless, to pay more for an identical product. It's substantially cheaper in the States even factoring in sales taxes, and they have incentives too. Last I checked it was actually cheaper to buy a M3P there than the LR.

Took me ages to find this then I realised they don't even have a Slovakian website other than the ability to order by selecting "order" from any other country and then changing the country once the order page is visible (unless I'm missing something) so it does make me question just how much support you'll get for the car once delivered. And as others have said, it excludes taxes and fees.

I'm sure there is a price difference, just these things are rarely without reasonable cause

Took me ages to find this then I realised they don't even have a Slovakian website other than the ability to order by selecting "order" from any other country and then changing the country once the order page is visible (unless I'm missing something) so it does make me question just how much support you'll get for the car once delivered. And as others have said, it excludes taxes and fees.

I'm sure there is a price difference, just these things are rarely without reasonable cause
Like in Lithuania... You can order via tesla web site... but no financing options, just cash (bank transfer), price is before tax. And if you need any repairs or services - ship/travel to Poland (Warsaw) - just short trip of 5-6 hours :D

Slovakia case would be quite similar - nearest Tesla service centre is either Vienna (Austria), Budapest (Hungary) or Katowice (Poland) - just few hrs drive (or maybe 1 hr if you are lucky (??) to live in Bratislava, then Vienna is 1 hr drive)

Very convenient.... said no one ever.

However, in Lithuania case, there is a Single SC site in middle of country - but it is free to charge :) In Latvia they have 2 SC sites, both free to charge... Slovaks have to pay for SC :D

Btw it is strange case of taxation as you order within EU, so not sure how that applies, really.

I almost pulled the trigger on a new M3P the other week before I thankfully came to my senses.

The new M3P, which was meant to be around 55K in the UK and they changed it last minute to 60k, is still up at 9.6% on a PCP. That's an outrageous interest amount for a new car. Even more so when the other versions of the same car are at 5.9% APR.

When they bring it down to 55K and drop the stupid APR rate i'll have one on my drive. No wonder they are not shifting them just now.

I almost pulled the trigger on a new M3P the other week before I thankfully came to my senses.

The new M3P, which was meant to be around 55K in the UK and they changed it last minute to 60k, is still up at 9.6% on a PCP. That's an outrageous interest amount for a new car. Even more so when the other versions of the same car are at 5.9% APR.

When they bring it down to 55K and drop the stupid APR rate i'll have one on my drive. No wonder they are not shifting them just now.
Same. Although I'm waiting for it to start being made in Berlin like the Y is now. Quicksilver would look awesome, Cherry Red too to be honest although it's a bit more muted and in my opinion suits the Y better.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
Same. Although I'm waiting for it to start being made in Berlin like the Y is now. Quicksilver would look awesome, Cherry Red too to be honest although it's a bit more muted and in my opinion suits the Y better.
You might be waiting a good while, not sure they've said they will make Model 3 in Berlin have they? Or you assuming that tariffs might force their hand on this?

Think I'd prefer the German price ie £48K (basically same VAT, Import Duty and no government incentives).
But hey what's £12K between friends :)

Reactions: browellm