Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly this became Europe law in 2022 and now in the UK -

So is it enough for Tesla to comply by giving a notification rather than physically limit the speed?
I’m not sure why the legislation says but I’d hope that it actually act as a ceiling and prevent the car exceeding the set limit.
Having it just ‘bong’ is a waste of space. My 2012 Prius did that.

Interestingly this became Europe law in 2022 and now in the UK -

So is it enough for Tesla to comply by giving a notification rather than physically limit the speed?
Yes, my understanding is from July, Tesla will have to push a speed limiter feature in a software update to remain compliant in EU/UK.

It would be fairly easy to do, like having to press the "MAX SPEED" icon on the dash (taken from satnav + reading speed signs), have it turn, say, yellow, and in turn, the accelerator pedal wouldn't do anything once your speed has reached the max allowed on the segment...

Also seems to be a feature for average speed cameras, expand the browser to full screen when parked etc.. quite a few things which are individually quite small but add up and to me are better than the leaked release on whats coming as part of the update which was only really interesting for the Highland and MS & MX

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91
We Buy Any Car (just because it was the first google result) states:

Full Article
Looking at that article does Tesla already comply? If I say hit 61 there’s a 2nd speed to right of the speed limit sign that pulses, would be nice though if you could set a limit to not exceed

Extract from article pasted below

• An informative or advisory ISA prevents speeding by showing a warning symbol or alert if you exceed the speed limit, whilst also reminding you of the legal limit.

Also seems to be a feature for average speed cameras, expand the browser to full screen when parked etc.. quite a few things which are individually quite small but add up and to me are better than the leaked release on whats coming as part of the update which was only really interesting for the Highland and MS & MX

Average Speed Camera is quite clever.

I also welcome the Better Route Available dialog : on several occasions I manually selected a route on purpose, that might not have been the quickest, yet, the satnav override me silently, and before I could realise, I was no longer on my preferred route has it had changed back to the default one... that was annoying.

And finally for speed cameras chimes, I hope they will be clever enough to do it a la Waze, where the Chime only kicks in if you are above the speed limit... no need to get speed camera chimes if you're driving well below the flashing speed...

Of course, the real update for me would be the arrival of the revamped Summon / Park Assist and the Surround Park Assist in sensor fusion for us, USS cars!

Will see!

Yes, my understanding is from July, Tesla will have to push a speed limiter feature in a software update to remain compliant in EU/UK.

It would be fairly easy to do, like having to press the "MAX SPEED" icon on the dash (taken from satnav + reading speed signs), have it turn, say, yellow, and in turn, the accelerator pedal wouldn't do anything once your speed has reached the max allowed on the segment...
I don't think they have to for older cars, it's cars sold from now, and I believe they already comply through notification. They may still roll out something for all models, who knows.
I can't find strict gov regulation for this though so it's all a bit hearsay, partly based on EU law.

I believe you can set this via the App, but not directly in the car. Would be good to see it as configurable in the car.

Edit: Looks like it is configurable in the car already: Link, Though it seems to be a global limit rather than 'tap a button to set the limit to current speed'
Yes I was just thinking about something to tap adhoc to not exceed current speed, my last BMW and wife’s current Mini has a button on steering wheel and is handy for average speed zones

Not essential I suppose, love the MY experience so far (6 weeks in) I read about all the foibles beforehand so expectations were reduced

Reactions: Oxid8ter
I’m not sure why the legislation says but I’d hope that it actually act as a ceiling and prevent the car exceeding the set limit.
Having it just ‘bong’ is a waste of space. My 2012 Prius did that.
I don't think they have to have a ceiling you cannot push past and that could be quite dangerous. Sometimes a fast burst of speed is what avoids an accident and not being slower.

I had the speed limiter feature years ago on my Mercedes E350. Double tap down on the stalk (same as Tesla) and the speed was set to that maximum until you disengaged it.

It wasn’t dangerous and worked perfectly well and was a welcomed feature.

Years ago I posted that suggestion here (not in the UK forum) and it was met with a barrage of ridicule, from mainly Americans who had no idea why you would want such a feature.

I don't think they have to have a ceiling you cannot push past and that could be quite dangerous. Sometimes a fast burst of speed is what avoids an accident and not being slower.
Hard full press on the accelerator overrides.
This seems like a baby step towards autonomous vehicles, speed limiting all cars. Personally I don't like it as I think there's more significant variables that determine my driving speed than one limit can account for. I've always found them a bit arbitrary. There's areas around here where it jumps between 30/40/60 at almost every turn, it's ridiculous.

I would like it as an optional feature though. Particularly if I'm in a new area, I don't want to get a surprise ticket for being a few mph over.

That’s where you’re wrong, I don’t “abhor” my cars.

Edit: those expanded release notes makes this update seem much better
You’re constantly belittling, moaning and object to anything positive about Tesla though. Literally every time I read your post, it’s always negative. You have to be a developer or in software of some sort, I’m sure of it!

So I’m not quite sure how you’ve ended up with 2 new cars from Tesla. 😂

Hard full press on the accelerator overrides.
This seems like a baby step towards autonomous vehicles, speed limiting all cars. Personally I don't like it as I think there's more significant variables that determine my driving speed than one limit can account for. I've always found them a bit arbitrary. There's areas around here where it jumps between 30/40/60 at almost every turn, it's ridiculous.

I would like it as an optional feature though. Particularly if I'm in a new area, I don't want to get a surprise ticket for being a few mph over.
Yeah I'm aware of that on cars with a LIM function and maybe this would be the same but how much acceleration does it then decide to give you? Full beans on a regular slow ICE vehicle is a little different to full throttle on a Model 3 Performance. Or if it doesn't give you full power, how much and how do you get more when it's fully floored?

I get if the user wants to turn it on and I know laws will no doubt force it on us but just saying I think it's stupid. I mean just today went to overtake a cyclist, he decided as I was overtaking him in a 30 to start to speed up a lot (Guessing an ebike). Overtake now taking much longer than expected, car comes into view on opposite side of the road. I have 3 choices:

1. Abort overtake but not possible because now another car has moved up behind the cyclist.
2. Move back left and knock the cyclist off his bike. Not a good idea because the Model 3 is easy to dent so not sure a cyclist will just buff out of the paint work.
3. Crash into the oncoming car, also not a great idea as I'd be at fault even though it was the idiot cyclists speeding up as I went to overtake that put me in this situation.
4. A small dab of the accelerator, speed up a bit and easily get past.

Seeing as I'd just read this topic before hand and how some of your really don't like speeding I had to go with option 2.