Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UWB tech allows for accuracy down to centimetres, so in theory assuming they're using an off-the-shelf product there's no reason it wouldn't be able to know exactly where you are in relation to the car. It will know when you're approaching the boot, and when you walk away from it. It ought to be able to do both opening and closing though I suspect it won't close because someone else without said key could be nearby.

It will probably allow for a more accurate Summon too, though don't know if a button on a phone would meet UNECE standards for the dead mans switch.

Why can’t it work for the frunk too?
At a guess, because the frunk isn't powered you might not know it had popped when you walked close to it, vs the boot which would very obviously be open.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
UWB tech allows for accuracy down to centimetres, so in theory assuming they're using an off-the-shelf product there's no reason it wouldn't be able to know exactly where you are in relation to the car. It will know when you're approaching the boot, and when you walk away from it. It ought to be able to do both opening and closing though I suspect it won't close because someone else without said key could be nearby.

It will probably allow for a more accurate Summon too, though don't know if a button on a phone would meet UNECE standards for the dead mans switch.

At a guess, because the frunk isn't powered you might not know it had popped when you walked close to it, vs the boot which would very obviously be open.
As an extension to this - powered boots came about (from Legacy Automakers) to resolve the issue of approaching the boots with your hands full, as the funk isn't powered, it popping but not opening doesn't resolve this issue.

That said, I can see the appeal of it what with the Frunk not having a physical button like the boot does.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
speed limiter
Interestingly this became Europe law in 2022 and now in the UK -

From July 7, 2024, all cars sold in UK showrooms may be required to have ISA fitted, regardless of where the vehicle was manufactured. Graham Conway, managing director at Select Car Leasing, has said speed limiters may need to be retrofitted to cars if they don't already have them.
So is it enough for Tesla to comply by giving a notification rather than physically limit the speed?

So is it enough for Tesla to comply by giving a notification rather than physically limit the speed?

We Buy Any Car (just because it was the first google result) states:
Please note: Although the legislation states that speed limiters must be fitted to new cars, it does not necessarily require them to be activated. Furthermore, as we will explain later in the article, the definition of ‘speed limiter’ is flexible – and not all devices will physically slow down a vehicle when the driver reaches the legal speed limit.
Full Article

Reactions: andyorkney
Cue "To me! ... To you!" slapstick boot opening/closing as I get bags from a nearby shopping cart.
Who am I kidding, I'm never seeing this feature.

So far my experience of useful updates is "press once for Autosteer", hardly groundbreaking.
So much for "Gets better over time" splattered 9 foot tall in their salesroom.
I think I'm quite bitter but also understand I've bought second hand which puts me behind to begin with, like buying an older phone.
There's solace in the autopilot, that seems to be the main "All cars" update which actually improves, perhaps the others are more gimmicky but I still want them 🤕 .
I can understand that. I mean going back in the past you'd get new functionality when you brought a new car like a BMW but normally it needed new hardware to make that functionality work. When someone said Tesla had software updatable cars I was thinking to myself "Right but what can they do? You'd assume all the hardware already works and any new feature might need new hardware". It just didn't seem like all that much could be done with a car and software updates.

I think actually Tesla does do this quite well and surprises me sometimes with what they make possible without changing the hardware of the cars at least some of the times. If you look at legacy OEM's and their "software updatable" cars they don't do all that much which is pretty much what I was expecting to be the reality.

Things like this automatic boot opening. Legacy car makers will probably charge you £300+ for that and it'll involve fitting another sensor to the car to make it work. Tesla have come up with a slightly different way of doing it that if it works well achieves the same goal at £0 extra cost to the customer. I think that's pretty cool even if sadly you don't have a car that will get it. Tesla do add a lot to their cars as standard vs other companies that will rake up the options list to get something similar.

I think "where you're standing" and "intent" are different things. Obviously this is easier with USS, if USS tripped and keys, turn on camera and see if someone is looking at the camera. But anyway :)

If you've got the optional Tesla key, you can double press on the front of the "toy car" and open the frunk, which is pretty handy.
The car warns and refuses to drive at more than ~10mph if the frunk isn't detected as latched
They clearly won't be adding anything new that requires sensors that they've removed from new cars but your idea is sound :)

OK so they are smart and have thought of you trying to drive off with the frunk open. Makes sense they would have done. I had to check it wouldn't let you drive off with the charging cable still plugged in as I had visions of the wife ripping the charger off the house some day as she drove off. Thankfully the Tesla engineers also must have wives as they've wife proofed the car ;)

Reactions: Carl Routledge
The auto boot opening really will come down to the quality of the implementation - and we know thats not always been successful - how many times have you got out of your car, walked to the back of it, and then waited to cross the road? Maybe not every day but it does happen?

But what about charge port opening/closing using the side camera?

Simple checks like car unlocked first as usual, then use image recognition to see charge cable in hand and open the flap, or if somebody takes hold of the charge cable when plugged in, it stops charging and unlocks the cable - effectively a visiion dictated button push. Now that would be useful
I like that idea about the charging port, thumbs up from me.

Auto boot might not be perfect but my Discovery had it's kick sensors down the sides of the car (Needed there because tow bar in middle, some makes won't let you have kick sensor and towing at same time). It could go off though as you walked past the rear of the car say like in higher parking spots. You'd then have to get to it quickly sometimes incase it might hit something on the way up.

Interestingly this became Europe law in 2022 and now in the UK -

I believe so, my Lotus would beep every time you went 1mph over the limit. In the first software version though it didn't understand miles vs km's as the software is written in China so actually on a 30mph it would start bonging and warning you when you went over 18mph... It still didn't when I got rid of it in a lot of places, the Sat Nav on the main screen would be miles to next turn, the HUD would be km to next turn...

• Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Looks like it’s starting to happen now as part of 2024.14 according to Tesla info

And….
IMG_5179.jpeg